Sewing Thread

I noticed that quite a few folks on the forum sew! And like to talk about sewing, and we sometimes ask questions about sewing, and I’m trying to learn how to sew…

Sew I’ve formed a sewing thread!

9 Likes

My first question: I have an old Singer sewing machine. My grandmother told me it was pre-70s but couldn’t quite remember, and it’s avocado green.

I can get you the model number when I get home.

The question: What kind of oil is safe to use on it?

I have sewing machine oil, but it’s at my dad’s place and I can’t access it right now. Craft stores around me are not open as they’re not seen as essential.

3 Likes

OH HELLO
I’m here for this.

I’m a novice sewer. My mom taught me some things as a Smol person so I have a pretty decent but basic understanding of how sewing works. I can change thread out on my machine, wind a bobbin, and trouble shoot technical issues to a certain level. I also know the basic rules and techniques of sewing (right sides together, how to make a bias hidden edge binding, etc.) :slight_smile:

I’m definitely at the level where what I want to achieve is beyond my skills, but I’m willing to fuck up a lot in order to get there. :wink:
I want to level up, specifically in terms of pattern making. I want to dress myself how I desire, with clothes that fit. :tada:

6 Likes

Order some sewing machine oil and wait for it. It won’t cost much, three or four dollars. You should be able to get it on Amazon. I may have the exact same sewing machine, so check the model number. I’m trying to figure mine out, still, but maybe we can muddle through it together.

2 Likes

Not sure the answer to this but I’d definitely order some or wait to get this. The tiny parts need the right kind of oil or else everything gets messed up and the guy you take it to to fix it will give you all the looks if you use the wrong one. My industrials use Juki Defrix which I think is a type of mineral oil? But I’m not certain. I only felt comfortable oiling my machines myself once I cleared it with my regular repair guy

ETA: if you can’t tell I’m very fond of my repair man and I do what he says :joy:

2 Likes

I sadly don’t have space in my room for a sewing machine at the moment but I’m following to sew vicariously through you all

3 Likes

I just dropped $ on ridiculous period patterns on etsy. ;D I’m stoked.
The one I’m looking forward to the most?

1780s-1810 era men’s pants.

Master and Commander pants.

11 Likes

HERE FOR THESE PANTS

4 Likes

I AM VERY EXCITED FOR THESE

3 Likes

I have a 1940s era Singer 221 Featherweight, and I use this:

https://www.sewvacdirect.com/singer-all-purpose-sewing-machine-oil/?gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SEwIkHbW7HgiL-JFnkYgiUjoNs9rxIQiNZuRrbcXfwrMeN7wEJThuRoCJGQQAvD_BwE

You use it to lubricate all the gears and such (your manual, which you should be able to find online once you have the model #, will show you exactly where to pit the oil). The one place you don’t put it is in the motor, which requires a different type of motor oil.

3 Likes

My new patterns and my fabric order will not be here for at least another week.
In the mean time I have a queen sized sheet and ample free time.
Anyone have suggestions?

3 Likes

Is it cotton?

I think so.

Hmm. Do you need any more pillowcases? What’s the pattern like? WHAT ABOUT UNDERWEAR

Sorry, got excited, sewing my own underwear is a big item on my “learn how to do” list

3 Likes

Yay I’m here for this! Background is quilting and sewing as a kid, plus making some basic clothing myself and now my kid over the last couple of years. I think I’m about an Oro level, but different mix of skills. I don’t know what a bias hidden edge binding is, but I know pockets! I want to understand fabrics more, because I have a very limited selection in my city and a lot of my options are shipped from the other side of the country.

Gonna make a coat for wearing around the house and to work, will move my planning and pondering to this thread XD

3 Likes

I do actually need more pillow cases LOL. My second pillow currently lives stuffed in a t-shirt…

2 Likes

I think it’s time to un-ground your poor pillow :joy:

3 Likes

I was going to suggest using the bedsheets as a muslin for the pants, but maybe make a pillowcase first. That poor, naked pillow.

4 Likes

THE PILLOW IS FINE. THE PILLOW LOVES ME!

the pillow has stockholm syndrom

7 Likes

It will take you less than an hour to make the pillowcase. It might even take you less than 30 minutes.
Give that poor DobbyPillow some clothes!

4 Likes