Sewing Thread

This thread is timely, thanks @Illathrael!

I was feeling pretty bad about myself this weekend after I tried to make some fabric masks. I think of myself as a person who knows how to sew, and I was having some serious issues. But I guess it’s my sewing machine that is the problem, not me, since even @Ckni27 couldn’t tell me how to fix the problem!

I managed some perfectly decent seams, then ran out of thread in the bobbin. Winding the bobbin in the machine isn’t working; I cleaned out the machine (it really needed it!), watched a YouTube video, consulted Ckni and my mom, and rethreaded the machine at least once, but the thread either doesn’t catch or gets caught underneath the bobbin. I’m thinking tonight I will try cleaning and rethreading again, and if that doesn’t work, I will just have to put the machine aside again until I can get it to a technician. The manual says that it should not be oiled by the user, but a technician may need to oil it, so maybe it needs oiling or something.

Another option is if I can get my craft room cleaned up and organized, I may have other bobbins somewhere…

The machine is a Singer 2010 Touch-Tronic, and it was my grandmother’s (hence asking my mom for help). I think it’s about as old as I am :smile:

5 Likes

:sob:
TRAGIC.
My master and commander pants pattern can’t be found by the etsy seller. And the pattern maker has died and they’re unsure if more will be produced. :sob:

I will find another pants pattern. They’re out there.

I WILL SURVIVE

SINGS

6 Likes

Replying to myself: no sewing machine oil tonight because I just got a notice that my SEED order has shipped (!!) and I’m going to wait and make only one trip to town. I had been assuming I wouldn’t get seeds at all, so this is great.

7 Likes

Question:

I’m probably gonna splurge on a fancy dress form. Because apparently I’m that person.

This is something I’m going to drop probably … 250-300$ on. None of the male sizes are exactly a match but I’m trying to get close ish. My natural waist is 34" and my “fluffy tummy” cookie pouch is more like 36" on a high cookie day (HELLO).
Hips are 43" but that seems much easier to pad out on a dress form/account for.
FUTURE chest likely something close to 38" but really unknown frankly WHEE. But FUTURE chest is what I’m aiming to match.
My neck is 13"

:man_shrugging:
FUN TIMES.

Which dress form would you buy?
Male size 38
Male size 40

Paging @Ckni27 for extra oomph

How certain are you about your future chest measurement? That’s the one I would want to be closest before making the call.

Building up a form is easy enough to do within reason, going up a size or two isn’t hard. Or even changing one dimension. I do that all the time when I need the waist to be a bit bigger with other things staying the same. Sizing down is harder and I find it frustrating to not have something to put things on, just my $0.02

1 Like

Not at all certain.
Current measurements:

Under chest (highest point on rib cage before I hit bust): 34.5"
Upper chest (flat line around chest under armpits): 37"

???

eta: I was trying to size based off waist but :man_shrugging: this game is hard when you are not a standard shape.

1 Like

I went to clean my sewing machine out some more last night and I can no longer get the bobbin case out to clean under it. :anguished: I think something is really broken. I guess I’ll just be lurking enviously on this thread until I can get it to a technician.

1 Like

I am following along. I took a sewing class in middle school and loved it. Made lots of scrunchies and a sweatshirt that I wore all the time. Later in life I made a simple halloween costume. I currently don’t have a sewing machine (I think it’s at my Dad’s house) but I would like to get back into and try to make myself some clothes and do some alterations on my waredrobe as needed (mostly heming as I’m 5’2" and everything is too long on me)

4 Likes

Following…my (clothes) sewing skills mostly involve hemming jeans and patching things that get worn/torn, but I may expand eventually. And I do have an inherited sewing machine tucked in a corner.

1 Like

Sewing that pillowcase… :)) Sewing YouTube in the background.

7 Likes

Hey, I just realized. This thread is labeled “sewing thread”. Oh that Rural, she’s fast on the uptake, that one.

10 Likes

I… I did not get it until you pointed it out :rofl:

I’m trying to sew a baby quilt top and the cat has claimed my fabric as his nest.

7 Likes

I DID IT. This pillow is no longer in a t-shirt. LOLOL.

15 Likes

I am so proud of you!

1 Like

:rofl: I’m getting a lot of mileage out of this thrift store sheet. (4) masks and a pillow case so far!

4 Likes

I love y’all so much haha.

Pillow is un-grounded! And looks super cute.

Update:

• Bought an iron today.
  • Will retrieve ironing board from storage this weekend.
  • Sewing machine oil is on the way.
  • Sewing machine manual downloaded.
  • Pattern and fabric for apron found in box retrieved from storage.
8 Likes

HELL YEAH. You’re gonna do it! You’re gonna do the sew!

2 Likes

A few months ago, I “rescued” this form from the street. How should I go about padding it out to be closer to my measurements?

6 Likes

For the dress form I’m getting I plan on just wrapping it in strips of fabric to get the right shape. But I’m not sure if it’s a different plan for hardshell forms like yours. But nice find!!

I’m going to make a few more masks for a friend. :heart: I found some more cotton scraps that are actually really pretty so that’ll be nice. She’s immuno-compromised so I’ll drop them off on her porch on Friday. The efficacy is still ??? but it feels good to try and do something ya know?

6 Likes

Depends on how much bigger you need it to be. If it’s a decent amount and you can find rolls of batting you can cut that in 5” or so wide strips and wrap it around and then add a layer of muslin on the outside. That is good because then it’s pinnable and it’s an easy way to make it bigger. For smaller adjustments I’ve used strips of fabric and most recently an ace bandage I had lying around

4 Likes