Sewing Thread

HM. I can adjust yes. I haven’t played with much yet because I don’t understand it very well. Right now it’s at (4) which seems to be the bog standard medium that my manual suggests for general sewing.
I’ll try with a few scraps to play around!

It’s still pretty puckery at a lower tension so I’m gonna sew by hand at least for this part. :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the “fuck it, I’m just gonna hand stitch the entire thing” phase of sewing with stretchy knits. Even with the tension set quite low the thread breaks every 4 inches and it’s quite difficult to control the fabric.
I placed an order for a walking foot.
Until then…

Well let’s find out how bad my hand stitching skillz are! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Opened a couple of boxes labeled “sewing” today - found the fabric and pattern I bought for an apron yeeeeeears ago, a bunch of old patterns, some old books (some are too water damaged and I think one or two have mold), an old Singer buttonhole maker box (full of things I assume are for making buttons but I know nothing), some half-finished projects and several yards of white fabric that I think is cotton but will have to do a burn test to be sure.

Bought an iron last week, picked up an ironing board from my buy nothing group, sewing machine oil is apparently not arriving until the 26th.

4 Likes

How exciting!!

1 Like

Very exciting! I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow and show you the spread.

2 Likes

Hand stitching going ok! Got one pocket and side seam done. Now on the second pocket. Doing a zig zag stitch. Possibly too loose but HERE WE ARE. LOL.

11 Likes

Love the thread color against that dusky blue!

4 Likes

:smiley: Keep in mind what you see is the wrong sides of the fabric, so the actual fabric is a tealy dark green with pink flowers! I choose the pink because there’s some top stitching on the pockets and I thought it would match well. :white_flower:

3 Likes

Your handstitching is so neat and even! I am in awe.

5 Likes

You are far too kind!!

1 Like

Your stitches are beautiful! My hand sewing always looks like garbage because I avoid it so much haha

1 Like

What they all said. Your hand stitching is amazing.

I am going to be rushing to get a baby quilt finished the next couple of days, thank goodness these are small and I’m using not using proper wadding as the inner, just some calico.

Once that’s done I get to play. I’m going to try making a sweater dress with the cotton french terry that just turned up in the mail! It’s thinner than I expected it to be. I’m going to be mucking about with a design from Megan Nielsen, but I’m not sure which one yet. It’s probably going to need a placket for future breastfeeding access, and that sounds tricky and a little scary. OTOH I am going to need to arrange buttons for all tops and dresses I make, so might as well get used to it now. I haven’t bought buttons yet :confused:

7 Likes

Yay sewing playing!

For the too-thin fabric, could you line it?

I am currently attempting to sew this dress for my daughter in fuchsia panne velvet: https://www.tissus-price.com/smartblog/21/tuto-robe-loane.html
Since my sewing machine is upset and refuses to obey me, I am finishing it by hand.

It seems like I chose a challenging first project :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That pattern is lovely! I hate how they took the pattern photos with the girl wearing a scarf that covers most of the details, I wanted a closer look at the pleats!

3 Likes

We’ll be the brigade of hand sewers! LOL!
It looks very pretty. Good luck!

2 Likes

Yes, so frustrating!
When doing the neck, I wanted to see how it looked but the scarf hides everything :weary:

2 Likes

IN WHICH ORO BUILDS A PLAN

I’m about ready to start construction of my trial run of the Regency era men’s frock coat pattern I’ve acquired. :smiley: Eventually I want to be able to play with the cut to play up certain masculinizing effects and also play up certain femanizing ones. But step one is figure out how to make the coat… like, at all. Haha.

The pattern looks pretty clearly written and the instructions look good, at least to my unpracticed eye.
Because I’m a little gun shy about cutting up the pattern pieces I’m going to pattern-wheel them off onto sheets of newsprint and cut those up instead. That way if my sizing is way off I haven’t destroyed the entire set. :slight_smile:

Here are some pics of the pattern, as well as the fabric I’ll be using for my trial run. The outer layer will be this khaki colored cotton canvas, the lining will be this mystery blend green bed sheet

8 Likes

For the final version I would die for a powder blue wool with black satin lining… :heart_eyes:

4 Likes