Recipes and food ideas

all those things work well in okonomiyaki

I probably wouldn’t do turnip or avocado. Corn and cooked winter squash make a different type of fritter. Beets would be odd imo. As would tomato.

If it works in a stir fry it works in okonomiyaki, just cut it up thin enough to cook in a short period of time, or like it slightly crunchy.

4 Likes

We don’t usually do much for Dec 31, but I bought a burrata as a splurge (aka, on sale). Any ideas?

6 Likes

Good bread, some salt and balsamic and pepper.

5 Likes

I got a daikon radish in my produce box yesterday. It’s a large vegetable, though I know they can come much larger, we are only two people.

Thus far I’m thinking making some pickled radish (oshinko), and using some in a chicken laksa. perhaps a pancake (instead of okonomiyaki).

other ideas would be very welcome. I have never prepared daikon before.

5 Likes

I like all radishes on toast. This sounds cool

1 Like

Do you like spicy food? Or Korean food? Koreans use daikon a lot in their cuisine.

1 Like

I don’t think we want to take on fermentation atm, so not interested in doing kimchi, but open to other cooking approaches.

1 Like

I just made these muffins but with white chocolate chips and they’re delicious.

3 Likes

family gathering the end of March, probably ~20 folks aged 3 to 83, no allergies, a few vegetarians. the primary food preparation will be different types of grilled protein, there will also be salad and veggies. I have suggested I could bring chips, as all other major food categories (including dessert are taken).

I’m thinking I could bring dip in addition to chips. What is your favourite homemade dip?

6 Likes

I do love a spinach artichoke dip. Also tzatziki. Also inventive hummuses.

1 Like

I usually make a hot spinach and artichoke dip, with pita chips to dip. Or a black bean and corn salsa! Street corn dip is also really good

1 Like

Not really a conventional dip (although the recipe explicitly says it can be used as a dip!) but I love this recipe with or without chips:

3 Likes

I’ve got people coming over this weekend, and I need to find something that I can prep beforehand (so either something in the slow cooker, or like a pie or a lasagne or something), that does not contain either pork, onion or garlic. I feel like that knocks out pretty much all of my usual go-tos - any suggestions?

3 Likes

A side of salmon, roasted vegetables?

2 Likes

I’ve made this before and it is very yummy and would sit nicely in a slow cooker to keep warm.

2 Likes

ooh, this seems ideal. I might add paneer or something as well. Thanks!

4 Likes

If you go on the sivananda website or hare krishna they have lots of no onion no garlic recipes - you can tweak as needed.

Palak paneer goes really well. You can English it up as a pie or pasties. A chicken pie is easy no onion no garlic too - just lots of herbs. Celery and carrot would be good there.

Aloo zeera I got from my MIL - like a spicy pily dry curry
Zeera/jeera are cumin
Oil zeera
Fry the potatoes
Mustard seed
Turmeric
Masala red chili one teaspoon from spice container
Red chili
Let each side get crispy
Lots of salt

No water and no cover

Cover after it’s done

Can add toasted and ground jeera and coriander

For palak/aloo palak/palak paneer/dal palak

Sautee green chilis, add 1 tsp each turmeric and cayenne or paprika (I do cayenne and tone down if needed) 2 tsp coriander. Add a splash of water to cook the paste. Add spinach and an obscene amount of salt. Cook down. Can blend all or half at the end. Can add in any cooked bean or daal, browned paneer or cooked potato cubes.

Either the potato or spinach can be encased in any kind of dough product to be delicious luke warm

3 Likes

oh, I used to get the frozen puff pastry, and I’d roll it out, cut it up. and put it into muffin tins, bake them up, and then add curries (or stew) into them. like samosas but more bite sized. I miss those. they were great for leftovers.

2 Likes

Shepherds pie - I make it with lamb mince , little cubes of carrot and plenty of mixed herbs. DH can’t eat onions and I usually find that carrot is a good replacement.

Easy to fully prep in advance and extremely forgiving if timings change.

2 Likes

You’re all the best, thank you! I’ll let you know what i end up with

2 Likes