Recipes and food ideas

Omg so many eggs.

I too love Dutch babies though.

3 Likes

Reminds me of a tweet I saw once by a woman who was trying to explain to her boyfriend that risotto is not an everyday food lol

4 Likes

Wait, actual Q, why would risotto not be an everyday food? The price on arborio?

(says the person who’s always looking for bulk arborio rice)

4 Likes

haha I mean I guess you could eat it every day but it does seem like a more expensive fancy meal!

1 Like

Update, I have found bulk arborio rice. :drooling_face:

8 Likes

If anyone wants an incredibly easy clafoutis recipe that is friendly to dietary restrictions, I go this one from a friend:

It’s so easy I’ve never made a ‘regular’ one.

2 Likes

Risotto is in fact an everyday food for me (I make it in my Instant Pot) and I’m going to need that bulk Arborio rice source if it’s online…

4 Likes

It’s the evil empire but it got me to $2.21 a pound for arborio, soooo…

5 Likes

I absolutely love pasta with meatballs - it’s one of my go-to comfort dishes! My recipe is pretty straightforward: I cook spaghetti until al dente, then toss it in a homemade marinara sauce (just sautéed garlic, crushed tomatoes, a pinch of sugar, salt, pepper, and basil). But here’s my secret ingredient: a splash of red wine in the sauce. Makes all the difference!

2 Likes

I kinda sorta track what meals we make, mainly to have a repository of ideas but also to have one central place to have the meal planning written down. I finally went through and found a bunch of meals that seem to be in our regular rotation. My idea at this point is to print out a copy of this, then for weekly meal planning we can still do new recipes if we want but we can also look at this list for ideas. That’ll help with factoring in weekly sales rather than laying out a longer plan now. We can also cross things off the list once we make them - that doesn’t mean we can’t do it again, but it’ll help let the other ones we haven’t done yet stand out more.

Putting this here in case it helps anyone else.

Foooooood

Pancakes
French toast
Waffles
Pumpkin waffles, apple cider syrup, sweet potato hash browns
Veg. stratta
Breakfast sandwiches
Bacon avocado quiche
Burgers
Pulled pork
Chicken sandwiches
Pizza
French bread pizza
Philly cheese steaks
Bacon chicken wraps
Paninis
Salad/grilled cheese
Nachos
Quesadillas
Italian quesadillas
Tacos
Blk bean, sw potato enchiladas
Blk bean, sw potato tacos
Balsamic sheet pan chicken
Honey mustard sheet pan chk
Lasagna
Santa fe tortellini
Veg baked ziti
Orange chicken marinade over potatoes - Marinade: 2 tbps each orange juice, brown sugar, dijon mustard, butter, oil, and 1 tbsp each paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder
Chicken alfredo
One pot red pepper pasta
Italian wonderpot
Sun dried tomato/sausage pasta
Spaghetti, meatballs, salad
Chicken florentine pasta
Mongolian beef
Teriyaki stir fry
Egg roll in a bowl
Beef & broccoli
Honey ginger chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Fried rice
Sesame noodles
Orange chicken
Tandoori chicken and curried carrots
Thai pineapple fried rice
Tiki masala
Pad thai
Chicken pot pie
Shepherds pie
Chicken dumplings
Goulash
Red beans and rice
Risotto - primavera
Risotto - mushroom
Risotto - pumpkin sage
Arroz con pollo
Autumn medley (budget bytes)
Potato/parsnip/leek soup
Loaded baked potato soup
Minestrone soup
Jambalaya
African peanut stew
Pumpkin bisque
Split pea soup
Butternut squash soup
Beef and barley
Tortilla soup
Roast chicken
Moroccan roast chicken (then pitas with leftover chicken)
“Peking” roast chicken (then chicken fried rice)
Ropa vieja
Pot roast

4 Likes

This was a great way to use up an abundance of tomatoes. They always ripen all at once!!

Some great looking bean recipes here

6 Likes

My double chocolate vegan cookie recipe did not win the state fair today but I still think it’s tasty

Recipe

65 g (1/2 cup) bread flour (or 60 g all-purpose flour plus 1/2 tablespoon of gluten)
30 g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
150 g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
30 g (2 tbsp) vegan butter or refined coconut oil
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp espresso powder or very finely ground coffee
40 mL (2.7 tbsp) aquafaba
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small handful vegan semisweet chocolate chips (I like Callebaut C811)

Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, then incorporate liquids. Mix dry ingredients separately, then add to liquids, mixing as little as possible. Fold in chocolate chips last.
Chill dough for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F / 177 C. Place small balls of cookie dough on a prepared baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.

8 Likes

I am trying to expand my dried pulses repertoire.

I like most pulses (excepting I’m not a huge fan of green lentils? their texture is funny). I have some recipes I like, but am looking for a wider variety.

Any favorites, y’all?

3 Likes

This recipe:

Works with flour tortillas if you can’t get lavash (or don’t want to), and I always use red lentils - but they take less time/water to cook than stated in the recipe (use your experience). I sometimes use this tahini dressing and sometimes use other similar tahini dressings. And, add chopped dill pickle - it definitely takes it up a notch. It can be eaten hot but cooling then assembling and refrigerating to be eaten later make it even better somehow. :slight_smile:

eta oh, I also use extra cumin and coriander too. I like strongly flavored stuff.

3 Likes

Even if you are not a bean club member I recommend checking out the Rancho Gordo website!

What kinda recipes are you looking for?

2 Likes

Ooooo, thank you. I need something new to do with black beans that is not beans and rice, soup, or chili (bored with the first, still too hot here for the latter 2).

I found this. It looks pretty good.

1 Like

black beans, roast sweet potato, shredded cabbage, mango salsa and avocado inna tortilla?

1 Like

Whatever you think is delicious! I don’t have a support strong pulse repertoire (split pea soup, black bean tortilla soup, various “beans go with tortillas”, “chuck beans in a salad”, and roasted chickpeas and hummus). I’m open to many things.

I like soup a lot if that helps narrow things down.

2 Likes

So I don’t particularly enjoy the TJs wrap but your mods might make it delicious for me…

2 Likes