Recipes and food ideas

Just came up with the following low carb oatmeal-like breakfast cereal. Tastes pretty good.

Low Carb “Oatmeal” (1 serving)
4 tbsp dehydrated shredded coconut-- optionally lightly toasted in a pan
2 tbsp coarsely ground flax seed – flax seed in spice grinder for 3 seconds
2 pinches of salt
Blueberries
Water – I didn’t measure, just eyed it… use whatever looks about right

Combine in a bowl which microwaves well. Microwave for 90 seconds. Stir and serve. Sweeten with stevia or your favorite artificial sweetener.

It tastes really yummy, a lot like oatmeal to me. The flax seed acts and the glue and the shredded coconut as the fiber.

(The shredded coconut in the photo below was lightly toasted in a stainless steel pan over the stove – was really quick to do.)

We eat low cartb here and well it’s nice to have an alternative to eggs and bacon every day :slight_smile: Btw, I imagine some slivered almond would be tasty in this dish but I didn’t have any on hand. Maybe a little cinnamon as well perhaps?

3 Likes

After I bought my instant pot some people here mentioned issues cooking various things or nervousness around using their own instant pots. Thought I’d share this site because I’ve been using it almost exclusively and I’ve made lots of different rices, beans, etc. I think they do real deal recipe testing!

11 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Agreed. Their recipes are solid and I love how much testing they do and their reporting the results.

2 Likes

They seem like such a cool couple! The amount of detail and work they put into each recipe is astounding. I’ve yet to try anything that didn’t work perfectly. And I doubt I will!

Picture me waggling my eyebrows at this site excitedly

1 Like

Oooooh HELLO

1 Like

Deep cut Deb but still slaps.

2 Likes

What’s your favorite “quick and easy” homemade dessert?

4 Likes

Cream on fresh berries

3 Likes

Crazy cake! Or some chocolate and jam cookies I would need to take a photo of for you.

Also
Apple or peach crumble.

3 Likes

Boxed brownies and ice cream!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of crazy cake! Sounds crazy.

1 Like

If you’re not looking for fancy I love Scotcheroos. Translastion for the non-Midwestern among us: peanut butter rice krispy treats with chocolate on the top.

4 Likes

So fast and easy! Why would anyone buy boxes. I used to have my ratios memorized which was the best

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out the name of a Chennai dish I ate recently- I’ve already checked the restaurant menu and this particular dish is not listed, so I’ll describe it to the best of my taste buds! It consisted of carrots but they were very finely grated or minced, they were almost the consistency of a grain like bulgur, but super melt-in-your-mouth soft. I’m 99% sure they were carrots but it’s possible they were sweet potatoes, I really don’t think so though. The flavor was very sweet but still savory and there were golden raisins mixed in it. The flavor was like a cross between curry powder and apple pie and it was amazing and I want to figure out the name so I can find an authentic recipe to make at home! I’ve tried googling all sorts of combinations of “south indian carrot dish” etc. and I can’t seem to find it. Maybe it’s a vegetable I’m not familiar with? Or maybe despite it being a South Indian restaurant this dish is a fusion or an independent invention? IDK but I want it.

@Meowmalade I know you were recently in India so maybe you know?

UPDATE: I think I found it!!! It just occurred to me that it was so sweet it might actually be a dessert and I think it is! I believe it’s Gajar ka Halwa. It was all arranged on the same platter so I didn’t realize it wasn’t part of the main entree, lol, I must have looked so stupid eating it all together! :laughing:

7 Likes

Gajar halwa (which I see you eventually got to)… every house has a variation so it might take experimentation. If the milk seemed chunky grainy look for recipes with Koya which is a block of milk condensed to a solid (between condensed and powdered).

4 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Okay hope someone is up for a recipe idea challenge!

I impulse bought some qamar al-din (I got pineapple instead of the traditional apricot but otherwise the package is identical to the second photo here). It’s a very soft, sticky fruit leather that’s usually soaked in water to make into juice but I was thinking I could find some use for it in baking? The best idea I’ve had is to add pieces to a muffin or quick bread recipe, kind of like dried pineapple chunks, but maybe someone has other ideas?

5 Likes

It would be really nice in a syrup to put on top of things (ice cream, pound cake)! I like the idea of putting it in a bread too tho!

3 Likes