Recipes and food ideas

I just had a birthday cake that had apricot pieces in the filling between layers. If they hadn’t made a very dense cake (:see_no_evil:) it would have been great.

4 Likes

I like both of those ideas! I think I’m going to try making some kind of syrup/glaze for a cake with it. Although that will now have to wait until Passover is over thanks to great timing on my part

2 Likes

I made this recipe tonight. It’s a must-try if you like butterscotch! The cookies are so satisfyingly chewy and the butterscotch oatmeal combo is so nutty and caramel-y and delicious.

5 Likes

Yummmmmmmm.

2 Likes

Liquid Stevia Recipe from Extract Powder

We save about $253 per year making our own liquid stevia instead of buying it on Amazon.com. Our annual expense for liquid stevia is now only about $27 – it was about $280. We were paying $17.50 per 8 oz bottle on Amazon.com.

DESCRIPTION:
Makes 8 fl oz of liquid stevia drops. I use Bulk Supplements Stevia Extract Powder. It cost me around $44 including tax and shipping for 2 lbs – enough for about 26 eight oz bottles of strong liquid stevia.

INGREDIENTS:
35 grams stevia powder extract
200 grams boiling distilled water

DIRECTIONS:
Tare a glass measuring cup on scale. Carefully add 35g of the powder – be careful not to stir up the dust; wear a mask perhaps. Tare the scale again, pour in the boiling water while still on the scale. Mix gently with a spoon until just combined but lumpy. Wait 5 mins and come back and continue to mix it in. Scrape the sides with the spoon/liquid. Eventually it will all dissolve. Let cool and transfer to an 8 oz bottle – preferably a brown glass one or the like. Store in fridge.

When needed, we transfer from the 8 oz brown glass bottle to a 4 oz glass bottle with glass dropper.

3 Likes

The golden raisins are so fun in this. Warming and easy!

https://www.101cookbooks.com/coconut-red-lentil-soup-recipe/

2 Likes

I bought frozen breaded fish because I really wanted fish & chips and I’m too tired to have self control.

I have roasted mini potatoes in the fridge. I have napa cabbage. Suggestions for how (whether?) to reheat the potatoes? A good coleslaw if all we have is cabbage, baby peppers, apples, and citrus?

7 Likes

Toaster oven or cast iron pan

Yes, that sounds like a delicious slaw

2 Likes

Worst comes to worst on the potatoes, make them into a hash scramble type deal. No losing there. Any texture is excellent.

2 Likes

shadowy one said not to make too much slaw because they weren’t a fan.

Apparently the slaw was very good this time :person_shrugging: : (mayo, sesame oil, soy, rice vinegar, sriracha on cabbage and peppers)

5 Likes

I made this on Tuesday and it actually only took 10 minutes. I didn’t press the tofu or sear it first or any of the things I would normally do to make tofu yummier and it had a very nostalgic squishy blandness to it that really made the dish for me. I know that doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement, but it is a very comfort food feeling.

9 Likes

We got this book from the library and I’m going to buy it for real, which I never do. It’s been great.

7 Likes

OOOOO what have you made so far??

1 Like

Oh I saw this on thrift books the other day! I don’t have an instant pot, but it still caught my eye.

1 Like

It looks like there’s a second edition too…

1 Like

I did braised chicken with ginger and almonds and I loved it. I also did mashed potatoes and glazed carrots and probably other recipes I’m not remembering right now. Tonight is pulled pork.

This would be really good with dates added.

5 Likes

Yum! I’ve placed it on hold at my library. Thanks for the recommendation!

It’s getting close to that time of year: Summer, when I never want to see an oven or stovetop again.

What are your favorite summer recipes? Bonus points for batch-preppable things that don’t need cooking or can be done using a toaster oven or rice cooker (i.e. the little appliances that don’t heat my apartment to the temperature of Satan’s armpit).

ETA: We do not have a microwave so all reheating is done on stovetop or in the toaster oven. D: D: D:

9 Likes

Hummus, veggies, and air popped popcorn.

Batch cooked shredded pork, to later be used on salads and in omelettes- even delicious mixed cold with BBQ sauce and eaten on toast.

I love spicy foods in the summer, so batch cooked chili reheated in the microwave that makes you sweat is really nice on hot days IMO, it always makes me feel cooler afterward lol. ETA OH and chili freezes super well, you can make a ton and put it in baggies and freeze flat- it’s super easy to mega prep and freeze thin for quick thawing.

PB&J, tuna salad, egg salad all win awards for “delicious and eaten cold”.

2 Likes

This is making me realize I should look for fun hummus recipes (beyond my usual roasted red pepper or everything seasoning hummus). We eat a lot of raw veggies in the summer, often dipped in hummus, and that would make things more interesting.

I love spicy foods! It’s a year-round love but there’s nothing like sweating through your sweat. :rofl: I think chili is probably too heavy for me most of the time in the summer, but now I’m thinking about chili oil

PB&J is my favorite hiking food, haha.

1 Like