Recipes and food ideas

I know at least a few folks on the forums buy/subscribe to Rancho Gordo - I don’t remember who though explicitly, so this seems an appropriate place to post - I just saw this headline:

I don’t have access to the Chronicle, so I don’t know the details, and I don’t see the story published anywhere else (to be fair, I only searched for like 20 seconds). :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

It wouldn’t let me read it, and then I ended up on a page with a headline about a snowstorm closing down the Donner summit. THE Donner party summit? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

WHOA. Thank you for sharing

2 Likes

The Chronicle is subscription only I think. I was kinda hoping someone here had a sub. :joy: (Because I don’t.)

Yup, Donner Summit is named for THE Donner Party! (I think that’s the Chron homepage. The Sierra has gotten a ton of snow this winter.)

3 Likes

chicken 8 layer bowl:

roasted smashed potatoes
shredded cheddar
fried corn, onion, pepper
chicken
salsa
avocado
pickled red onion
gochujang/mayo drizzle (half baked harvest’s ‘yum yum sauce’)

the drizzle and salsa worked together really well. I suppose not all that surprising since the salsa was very cilantro & lime forward, but I was quite pleased (especially after yesterday’s ottolenghi potato recipe was so underwhelming considering the effort).

2 Likes

That sounds really good. I definitely want to try that yum yum sauce.

2 Likes

Also super easy, because I already had the cooked chicken, prepped salsa and pickled red onion. So all I had to do was make the potatoes, chop up & cook the onion, grate cheese, and mix the drizzle.

2 Likes

Awesome! How do you make your salsa?

My salsa was chopped seeded roma tomato, some chopped garlic, a bunch of cilantro (and then more cilantro, lime and olive oil from the disappointing Ottolenghi potatoes from the previous night), half a white onion, lime juice, and half a grated random hot pepper that I got from a mystery bag and threw into the freezer (I assume scotch bonnet).

2 Likes

Mmmmmmmmm

1 Like

My husband has requested brownies! I don’t really like brownies and have possibly never made them, or at least haven’t in many years because I can’t recall ever making them. Plz give me your best (chocolate) brownie recipe!

7 Likes

Best for cocoa brownies but she has many excellent brownie recipes

6 Likes

These supplanted my previous favourite last year (which was a coca brownie similar to Lady Duck’s) after someone brought them to a choir bake sale :joy: Whisking the eggs and sugar means the crust is almost meringue-like and just absolutely heavenly. I will say they’ve needed much longer than 25 mins in the oven every time I’ve made them.

Best ever chocolate brownies recipe | BBC Good Food

3 Likes

Thank you @LadyDuck and @beep_boop - I have a large amount of really high quality cocoa so this is perfect!

2 Likes

Moosewood brownies, great with a bit of fleur de sel on the top. I really like the underdone fudgey batter consistency they get if you take them out in time. They get dry if overbaked, in which case, great with ice cream.

3 Likes

Made a quick low carb Pho. The soup base was part Better Than Bullion Beef Base and part leftover juice from deglazed fond from frying steaks & hamburgers. Half way through the heating up of the soup, I added sliced cabbage for rice noodle substitute. At the end, when it came to a rapid simmer, I turned off and added in the thinly sliced pork tenderloin (which I have pre-sliced up into portions in the freezer), along with the sliced scallion, cilantro & lime juice. Was delicious. About 5 minutes to make and about $1 per bowl.

(I’ve made real pho before with roasted beef bones etc, and I know this tastes different but for a quick 5 minute meal this tastes pretty good.)

6 Likes

Stovetop Broccoli Loaded Frittata

Put a good amount of butter in non stick pan. Fry up some minced yellow onion and minced broccoli, under high heat. (Add whatever vegetables you like.) Lightly salt. Fry them up so they are caramelized. Whisk up some large eggs – we use 5 of them for a 10 inch pan. Add about 1/2 tsp of salt to the five eggs and mix in. Turn pan on high and pour scrambled egg mixture into pan. Use a spatula to scramble everything together. Once it is a thick gel consistency, spread even on bottom of pan with spatula. Cook for 30 seconds on high. Loosen edges with spatula if needed. Slide pan back and forth to make sure the pan cake is freely moving. Do the one handed pan flip. Turn off burner. Top with cheese, Cover with lid for 1 to 2 mins. Slice up like a pizza and serve. About 5 mins to make.

4 Likes

Cheeseburger Salad for lunch. It’s topped with salsa verde. Mustard is horseradish. BBQ sauce is sweet baby rays zero sugar. I would of added some sliced tomatoes and sliced avocado if I had some. I also normally slice the onion into rings, but I had to use up a quartered onion.

4 Likes

Putting away groceries earlier this week I noticed that I had a tin of salmon in the pantry with an Apr 2023 best before date. (I know bb dates are not about food safety, but a good prompt nonetheless). We also had the bottom end of some napa cabbage, some carrots from a flashfood box, and a few final springs of cilantro.

The result was panko-crusted salmon cakes on a bed of cabbage, carrot and cilantro slaw with a gochujang dressing. Highly successful.

9 Likes

That sounds really good. I’ve been thinking about making tuna cakes soon.

3 Likes