Recipes and food ideas

Can you freeze hummus? Does it get gross?
What about pico de gallo? (That seems DEFINITELY gross.)

I have a surplus of both things from our party that I am not going to eat all of. Why did everyone bring hummus and pico? I hate to throw it out but I physically cannot eat all this and Boyfriend doesn’t like it.

Pico will lose it’s texture but still taste good. I’d blend it into a salsa either before freezing or when you thaw it.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s a good idea, I have frozen and thawed blended or only slightly chunky salsa before.

I have dehydrated hummus in the past, and rehydrated it with olive oil. I have not tried freezing it.

1 Like

Hmmm. I have frozen copy cat yumm sauce, which is basically a thinned out hummus with almond meal in it too. It thawed great. You could always try freezing the hummus and if the texture is weird, pivot it to copy cat yumm sauce recipe and rejoice in the delicious amazingness it has. And/or re blend with some more olive oil and it bet it would be smooth and soft again.

2 Likes

Freezer: ground pork (ground at home from $1.58/lb pork butt); pork loin slices for pho, stir fries, jerky etc (cut at home from whole boneless loin at $1.94/lb); Pork chops (cut at home $1.94/lb); 73/27 ground beef ($2.89/lb Aldi); Whole pork butt, whole pork loin. Boneless skinless chicken thighs. Ice cube trays. Tomato paste frozen in 1 tbsp portions for various dishes that need them. Baking soda, opened. Frozen peas. Almond flour & coconut flour. Flax seed. All meats portioned to 8 oz, for cooking meals for the two of us… we never have leftovers, if we do have a few bites of leftovers the dog gets them. EDIT: we also have portioned cooked beans (vs canned) in multiple sandwich bags, all in a gallon zip loc bag.

Fridge: shredded cheddar, shredded mozzarella, bunch of misc jarred condiments/sauces. Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce. Green beans, broccoli, yellow onions, scallions, tomato, celery, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, cilantro, blue cheese, feta, jarred sliced peppers, homemade hot & sour sauce made from vinegar and frozen thai chiles from our garden. Bacon, lots of eggs. Baking soda, opened. 1 quart of heavy cream for dishes that need it. All of our small or cut veggies are wrapped in plastic wrap and thrown in a bin in the fridge. We pull out the bin each time we cook and select things from it first for the meal. Veggies last us weeks since we keep them all wrapped in plastic wrap or in rolled up ziploc bags with air extracted.

We can pretty much cook any kind of meal we want between the portioned meats in the freezer and the veggies in the fridge. We eat a grain free diet since I am diabetic. As a side effect of switching to this diet a few years back my BF went from 220lbs to a healthy 160lbs… He’s in his 50’s with a 30" waste now… Me, I’m fat still but at least my blood sugar isn’t high :slight_smile:

1 Like

We do this, too!

2 Likes

We just take a heaping tbsp using and throw the dollup on a small piece of plastic wrap and lightly wrap it . Then put all of those in a quart zip loc bag.

1 Like

We dollop them straight on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen we take them off the sheet and drop them directly in a ziploc or other container if there’s one free

3 Likes

This is the way I do it too.

1 Like

I have frozen hummus, it was fine. I put a thin layer of olive oil on top of it with the vague idea of reducing likelihood of freezerburn.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea, I’ll try that sometime.

1 Like

Does anyone have a go-to recipe for szechuan sauce? NOT the dipping sauce for McNuggets (:joy: although that would probably be tasty as well) but for what an American Chinese restaurant might use on, for example, “Szechuan Shrimp with Broccoli”. I had takeout with friends last night (far away from me) and I had Szechuan Shrimp because I like Szechuan-style Chinese food, and it had a slightly gloopy (cornstarch-based I guess) spicy sauce and although probably not authentic it was good and I am thinking I should maybe subsist on szechuan shrimp (for reasons… I might explain in my journal). I know that decades ago, American-style Chinese restaurants served a “Szechuan Shrimp” but I think (???) it was different from this.

I really like the sauces/flavors for Twice-cooked Pork and Mongolian Beef (both of which I typically use on tofu as I don’t eat pork or beef anymore), but they are a little more involved (and with more ingredients) to get those flavors and am hoping I can find something faster/easier. Any ideas?

4 Likes

I would check the blog Woks of Life! They might have something

2 Likes

Woks of Life does have a recipe (I actually was looking at it before I posted), but it is the “old school” sauce (because they talk about it) and maybe not what I am thinking of? It seems thin, almost like a broth. I’m just not sure. :sob:

2 Likes

I’d try searching copycat recipes and using chain restaurants in the name!

ETA: I haven’t tried it but I wonder if this is the right direction:

My quick and easy go-to is Teriyaki sauce. So simple to make and you can always add heat or citrus or whatever to make it more interesting.

1 Like

I guess maybe (???) someplace like PF Chang’s would be similar? Honestly I don’t know how it compares, I haven’t eaten at a chain Chinese place in aeons, so I didn’t even think of that :joy:. The ingredients for the sauce look promising though.

Truthfully, although I will eat teriyaki sauce, I much prefer something spicy. It’s just that the really good sauces are like 10 ingredients that are applied to the stirfry at different times in the cooking… I guess the recipe above also has a lot of individual ingredients, but they list them just all together in a marinade and a sauce, which would be easier for me to manage when I am struggling and need simplicity.

2 Likes

I sometimes load my Teriyaki with chilis, haha, so same. My husband loves sweet sauces so it’s a middle ground of sorts! I make lots of made-up sauces too, some combo of soy sauce, coconut aminos, mirin, rice vinegar, chilis, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, honey, peanut butter, coconut milk, etc. It is kind of a lot of ingredients but I have a pretty big pantry.

Have you thought of pre-making a few sauces on the weekend and then freezing portions? I did that with my Pad Thai starter bc that thing is a monster.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of it but I used to have a (pretty complicated) ramen base that I froze and that worked great. (I should find it again.) So that’s a good idea! I have tons of individual ingredients, but right now the issue is energy to be able to actually cook. So I think I have to compromise and just mix things together as a sauce versus the way I would normally do them (in stages during the cooking).

4 Likes

That’s what I do most of the time. It’s so much easier/quicker. Glad the freezing will work for you!