Recipes and food ideas

I made gnocchi out of my giant roasted butternut squash and it’s very yummy and froze very well.

2 Likes

I finally got the ingredients together for dan dan noodles last night and they did not disappoint.

5 Likes

I recall once upon a time reading a recipe that involved tearing up corn tortillas and frying them with eggs. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or what I should Google?

4 Likes

Sounds like migas to me!

4 Likes

Yes or chilaquiles!

3 Likes

Migas! I was like 99% sure you would have the answer :joy:

2 Likes

Haha, glad to be of service! Migas are delicious.

1 Like

I made this yesterday and it is fine, but it’s not pad Thai.

Any better recipes? If you have specific brands for noodles that’d also help because the rice noodles I used are somehow both gluey and a little too al dente. I’m willing use oyster sauce or shrimp paste if you say it’s essential.

5 Likes

Yes! I absolutely love this recipe and it’s super authentic:

She also has this one which I haven’t tried, but everything I’ve made of hers has been outstanding:

5 Likes

how did you cook the noodles? I find soaking from cold is irritatingly long, but the only texture I like.

3 Likes

I boiled for ~8 minutes which seemed absurdly long but some were still a little crunchy

2 Likes

Oooh thank you! Pretty sure my tamarind was Indian so I’m going to blame that :rofl:

3 Likes

Ohhhhh haha, yeah that would definitely do it!

1 Like

for the noodles, were they old? Also, yes, I find boiling gives bad texture because it overcooks the outside before the inside gets moisture. Ideally to soak from cold (60-70 minutes?), or alternatively cover with hot/boiling water and then soak off the heat, which takes like 20-30 minutes if I recall correctly.

No I bought them last weekend, but they were bougie organic rice noodles so that may have been the problem.

1 Like

So what’s the difference in taste? I was being facetious but it sounds like it’s actually a crucial difference?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s very different. Indian tamarind is much thicker and sweeter. The type you use in Pad Thai is very thin and has a more sweet and sour taste and it’s only used for cooking, you wouldn’t want to drizzle it on top of anything. It’s kind of like the difference between ketchup and tomato paste.

As for the noodles, I soak mine in warm water for about 5-10 minutes before cooking! That’s what the package instructions usually say and I’ve not had a problem using that method.

This is the brand of noodle I use:

3 Likes

I think tamarind pulp can be used to make either, but the tamarind sauce sold in indian stores is a chutney. Like I would use these two blocks interchangeabley and

they are both from southAsian stores - and apparently both fromThailand!

4 Likes

Yeah totally! I agree they both have tamarind as the base so you can make either (thick tamarind chutney or cooking tamarind concentrate) from that pulp, but the sauces themselves are different (hence the tomato paste/ketchup comparison).

Here’s an excerpt from the Thai cook I shared earlier:

• Tamarind paste - This is a key ingredient for the sauce, and homemade is recommended for best flavor. Here’s how to make tamarind paste from pulp. A store bought one is fine to use to make life easy, but do make sure it is a product of Thailand or Vietnam, not India, and should be a brown liquid with a pourable consistency.

She also says:

“Do not use tamarind pulp from whole pods, as those are sweet tamarind meant for eating, not for cooking”

4 Likes

Yep. And the Indian one adds flavours too

3 Likes