Random Questions, Parenting Edition

My 3 year old was saying his mouth hurt when he was sick two weeks ago. Extensive further questioning showed that it was actually his throat, so I think your theory is sound.

3 Likes

Does anyone with high energy kiddos have solutions or ideas for when the family is sick? This has been a hot mess and unlimited screen time is not bailing us out.

1 Like

Obstacle courses in the living room. Lots of jumping by them, you sitting. Bonus if you have stuff you can color code and yell out “red!” Or “blue!” And have them sprint to that color. Takes some energy but not alllll the energy, and uses more of theirs than yours.

2 Likes

Also if you don’t mind your house getting fucked, send him on a color scavenger hunt. “Fill this basket with blue things” type deal

2 Likes

Mine is a little younger (2) so not sure if this will work, but I’ve noticed he stays engrossed longer when there is a large quantity of something. We went to a summer camp-type campground last month and he was totally engrossed by giant Jenga and connect 4, doing lots of different things with the pieces like stacking them up, knocking them down. It almost seems like a large quantity gives him enough time to get in a groove and stay focused.

Anyway, this bucket of 100 animal figurines has been pricey but so worth it. There’s enough variety that he can find patterns like everyone with a tail, etc. He’ll solo play for 15-20 mins at a time with them, and because it’s not a scripted game it’s okay if one goes missing or chewed by the dog.

ETA: This stuff takes time to get, so instead while you’re all sick… 100 paper cups? 10 rolls of toilet paper? Random junk from garage that’s safe? Give him ALL the spoons from the kitchen?

1 Like

Saving these ideas for when it is worse than -20 outside! Definitely fun but a different level than my level of sick

1 Like

We got out disposable dishes earlier in the week to see if that would solve a problem - they didnt work i stead of dishes but definitely used an hour of kid energy flooding the house with it.

2 Likes

Changing pads! Talk to me!

Do we get that expensive one that appears to be plastic that wipes right down and doesn’t require covers?

Or do we get the cheaper kind and a few extra covers to deal with messes.

Cheap, washable covers you can throw in the wash. There’s waterproof ones. Like $11 for a 3 pack. Highly recommend.

4 Likes

We got a cheaper one (I think? It’s been forever) and some covers and then all the covers were in the laundry and I just put the baby directly on the pad and wiped it down afterwards and it was fine and I never put a cover on it again.

I’ve also seen people recommend for less messy diapers to just put a small towel on the floor, do the change there, throw the towel into the wash.

2 Likes

This is the HOT new thing in changing pads but it just looks so… cold to me? And wow so expensive.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure ours was this

5 Likes

I got two used standard changing pads and three used covers and would have had the other $100 to spend on something worth spending money on.

I’d give you mine and a cover if we were local. I’d still probably ship it to you if you want. Or put out a local call—people want to get rid of stuff like this and it isn’t always worth the effort to make a listing for it.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right the peanut one is just SO expensive, there’s so much more I could do with the rest of my Target gift card balance. Thank you everyone for weighing in!

Yeah, if you’re spending a gift card, you could still get a new one of the regular kind and a set of two covers and still have $100 left to get other things.

1 Like

IF you want a fancy changing pad, do one with an integrated scale. (Good for weighted feeds- nice if you need it, can fuel anxiety if you don’t) Otherwise the $11 summers infant one lol. We had a hand me down one, hand me down fuzzy covers, and vac isle these:

TILLYOU 6PK Larger Softer Changing Pad Liners Waterproof, 27" x 13" Washable Reusable Flannel Cotton Changing Table Cover Liners Leakproof, Portable Baby Changing Mat for Boys Girls, White Amazon.com

Bonus that way they fold up super small for secondary changing stations and travel.

ETA we didn’t want the bare liner because she was a winter baby, primarily. But that’s also an option.

1 Like

Basically what others have said - yes cheap, cheap cheap. In our case, the olea version of exactly what everyone else used.

And then I mostly ended up changing baby on the bed on a cover or a towel.

4 Likes

This. Chaise of the couch, guest bed. That’s why I love the little linters so much. That, a couple diapers, a tube of diaper cream, and you’ve got a whole changing station just like that. Easy.

3 Likes

The plastic sheet thingies get 3-3 of the cheapest or usedest you can for when you want a waterproof layer. Otherwise towels and baby blankets or diapers.

If you want a padded thing on the dresser, the cheapest plastic covered thing at walmart or once upon a child or ikea.

I t

3 Likes

We just used old pillowcases for changing pad covers?

3 Likes