Random Questions, Parenting Edition

How much do you deep clean after a stomach bug of unknown origin? Do I have to bleach everything? I don’t want to!

My plan is to hand wash toys with soap and Clorox wipe surfaces - is that enough? I ask my pediatrician mom and her response was that would probably be enough, and we’d find out if it wasn’t if we got sick again. She is a national treasure but I refuse to get sick again.

6 Likes

Ummmmm honestly I don’t. I figured things don’t live on hard surfaces indefinitely and we fought it off once and it’s probably fine? I mean I guess I clean any toilets/bowls/floors that were vomit receptacles but other than that I don’t stress. Your immune system my vary.

4 Likes

That makes sense! I should say too, part of my motivation is that we have house cleaners, and I want to make sure our house is less toxic for them before they get here.

4 Likes

My kid has a very good friend. They have known each other since the days of (zoom) mommy and me class in 2020 and were in the same daycare/preschool class the last two years. This year they are going to different preschools. We like the other family and we’re all planning on keeping the kids in regular contact. They might even have a joint birthday party in a few weeks lol.

The other dad mentioned that he almost got them both a little succulent from the grocery store to have something matching but realized that something that could die with neglect was NOT a good idea. So I’m sourcing ideas for a small token of a gift that both could receive and feel special that the other friend has it at home too since they don’t see each other every day now.

Any ideas?

5 Likes

Hmmmm if it was going to be within 48 hours I’d probably give a heads up that we had been sick and done a quick wipe down of the worst things but advise they might want to wear gloves. It won’t be airborne and as long as they aren’t licking surfaces or touching things and then wiping their face it should be fine?

5 Likes

I’d let them know and mention you cleaned but they might want to wear gloves to be extra safe.

I use benefect.

4 Likes

We live by “rise together fall together”. I figure by the time anything manifests, we’re all already exposed, because we’re always in such close contact. I’ll clean high touch and affected surfaces but I don’t go crazy and nuke the house or anything. :woman_shrugging: it’d be different if I had a newborn or a medically vulnerable relative visiting or something though.

5 Likes

Seems fine to me. Hard plastic toys with no holes can go in the dishwasher (eg, Mega blocks but not magnatiles) and just remember to rinse any food surfaces or toys that got the Clorox treatment. (You can Clorox toys if you rinse them after- sometimes that’s easier.)

4 Likes

My kid really likes his daycare class photo and used to name every single kid every day for a few weeks after they split up. Maybe a photo of them together in a simple frame?

Our daycare crew has been split up for a year but everyone goes to the same playground once or twice a week and they’re all still thick as thieves!

5 Likes

Thanks, we do have a couple photos of them in a book but maybe a framed one could be a nice thing to get both!

Thankfully we do live close so we’ve run into this family at the park the past two Saturdays (today its a heat wave so we are cooped up inside).

2 Likes

I have too many stuffies in my house as it is, but for this I’d consider one for this purpose to hug/play with. (Knowing myself, I’d go full extra and have a joint trip to Build A Bear.)

Will they be in school together again for Kindergarten?

2 Likes

Oh I forgot about build a bear lol. We are going to do a joint birthday party so now I’m thinking some matching tshirts for the party that they can keep would be fun.

Kindergarten is a whole can of worms haha. I think we’re zoned for the same public kindergarten but that’s two years away and only like 10% of families go to their closest public school for a variety of reasons that are too complicated to get into.

3 Likes

Any recommendations for cute kid socks that are decent quality? The ones I used to buy for Kiddo have capped out their sizing and the random other ones we’ve picked up here and there seem… meh.

2 Likes

I’ve heard great things about bombas

1 Like

My 20-month-old has decided it’s unacceptable to trim her nails. We have a regular small clipper and one of those electrical spinny things but she refuses to allow either near her raggedy claws. Any ideas?

2 Likes

Last week I snuck in and trimmed them after my tiny rebel was asleep.

3 Likes

Nails, hair, and teeth are our uses of screen time :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Ahh very good! Somehow she tolerates teeth and hair. FOR NOW lol

2 Likes

My kid is a light sleeper and this did not fly. Just mentioning it because I had been given the implication that this was a full proof method and it was not so we had to rely on screens.

4 Likes

Ugh the nails. We have to restrain ravioli while we cut them and everyone has a bad time. Screen time used to help but not anymore, he’s on to me

7 Likes