Random Questions, Parenting Edition

The 5 point harnesses are great. I think children should live in 5 point harnesses and every chair constructed but especially plane and restaurant seats should have clips for it

5 Likes

We have one of these and I fucking love it. My small one is a wiggler and she sits so well in the airplane seat in it. The big one just sits in the plane seat and doesn’t unbuckle but the little would never. YMMV.

2 Likes

Once our kid switched to forward facing, the Pico actually became our everyday car seat! Which is how I sorta justified the cost. He prefers being able to see out the sides and wiggle vs. being inside of a cushion. But I could see how car seat preference (like much of baby gear) is very YMMV.

2 Likes

I think it depends on what you mean by “a lot.” Statistically, serious injuries of inadequately restrained flying children are rare, but a seat belt of any kind (including in a car) cannot safely restrain a child under 40 pounds- they can slip right out!

@frogger hits the nail on the head- the car seat isn’t for “plane crash” it’s for bad turbulence, etc. Airplane accidents are much more common than people think, but also much more survivable (95%).

You are definitely not supposed to check a car seat but I have done it several times, both as a gate check and an under-the-plane check.

4 Likes

I borrowed one for a trip to Finland last year. It was fantastic.

1 Like

Does anyone here remember how you timed allergen introduction? Like what order of allergen, and how far apart they should be? E.g. peanut butter, wait two days, egg, wait two days, or whatever? I have the Solid Starts course but they don’t really specify. We’re leaving for a trip soon and I’d like for us to make more progress down the allergy list before then.

5 Likes

I don’t. Two days is probably legit? And try it twice in there?

We thought both babies were allergic to shellfish last year at the beach. But actually my great niece is allergic to dairy and the cuckoo just was irritated by the Old Bay seasoning :sweat_smile:. So maybe be mentally prepared for shenanigans cuz babies be weird on trips.

4 Likes

We did one new intro a week basically, exposing multiple times. Then once we were past the major ones (peanut, dairy, egg, wheat) we kinda uhhhh didn’t use a schedule :woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

Yes
But 3 day waits. And the only people I remember doing a special order was because of allergies in the family.

2 Likes

Generally not recommended anymore to do anything special, except is still advised in some high risk kiddos (severe eczema, first degree relatives with anaphylactic food allergies). Biggest thing is just know that it’s 2-5 exposures before an allergen is really in the clear, and don’t give more than one allergen at once during those first few exposures so that you can isolate variables. But you can do allergens with other foods (ie PB in oatmeal) and with already cleared allergens (ie we’re on exposures 4 for a lot of the tree nuts, and I’m giving in on toast because we’ve done a trillion wheat exposures already).

8 Likes

For this; the last i heard (~5 years ago) was once you have given an allergen it must stay in the diet rotation, because a gap can be what causes the body to decide to build an incorrect immune response. I do not know if this is current but it is what they were doing trials of high risk kids to test

5 Likes

Thank you friends! I had been planning on just doing the solid starts meal plan but we had a serious choking incident on day 2 (do I mean gagging? Nope!) so we’re going back to the drawing board. Baby fine now of course

I just hadn’t done the allergen math: he eats one meal a day now, so let’s say 30 meals a month. I have a list of 18 allergens, so even at 3 days per allergen that is 54 meals, not even accounting for making sure he gets the already introduced allergens 1-2 times a week? The math will make more sense once he is 8 months old and gets two meals a day, but dang lol.

7 Likes

Oh gosh that’s scary! Take your time on the allergens. I don’t think there’s any rush other than obviously having an easier time feeding him when you have more options

4 Likes

:sob: thank you! I am definitely feeling timing stress because he’s already 7.5 months old, so I know we’re way behind. I wish I were better at doing multiple things at once, so we could hav figured this out sooner. Oh well! We have a plan now.

4 Likes

I don’t remember, is he getting breast milk or formula?

3 Likes

Both! Now that he’s with the nanny, it’s about 2 thirds human milk/ one third cow milk formula (I’m a low volume pumper). So at least we know cow milk is good.

6 Likes

Then he’s getting at least some exposure through the human milk, right? That’s not for nothing. Basically just don’t beat yourself up so much about being “behind”. You’re doing a great job being a thoughtful, caring parent.

We did something like this. By which I mean me, I don’t think it even occurred to Mr. Meer to do anything beyond providing food/milk but we also don’t have any notable food allergies in our families.

5 Likes

How scary! I’m glad everyone is ok.

Like everyone else, we did about one a week, starting with peanut butter (watered down and/or mixed with banana puree).

We didn’t use these but maybe something like this would work well for you? There are a couple brands available that do similar things: Bottle & Food Mix-Ins

ETA like @Bracken_Joy mentioned, the meal math does get a little easier because if baby has had peanut multiple times across multiple days then you can just add a bit of almond butter to the peanut butter and do a new exposure+continuing exposure at the same time.

5 Likes

Oh, I should’ve clarified, it’s considered fine if they’re not high risk to group the allergens by type. So like all the tree nuts can go together. So it’s really just the top five or seven, plus the emerging sesame.

4 Likes

I’ve read very conflicting things about the mix ins. And whether they even contain the allergen they purport, and whether it’s effective and stuff like that.

4 Likes