Random Questions, Parenting Edition

This. Random bath towel as the mat on the floor, which can be thrown in the wash afterwards.

3 Likes

Big TV screen on the wall. YouTube a video of song birds. (Or library story time or something). I’m a low screen parent but fuck that noise :joy: I ain’t here for the shit rolls.

7 Likes

Wipeable play mat, sanitizing wipes was my jam.

6 Likes

Sometimes someone says something and I’m like “that sounds like a good journal title”

10 Likes

My mum used this method too. Decades old ancient wisdom still used today.

4 Likes

Sometimes a small toy, possibly something you wouldn’t ordinarily let them play with, will distract them for 30 seconds. It’s a game of speed, really.

3 Likes

Oh yes, this was the only time we let her get the remote. I did realize after reading this we didn’t resort to screen until she was around 18 months when it was a pretty righteous battle of strength. Before that we did a special toy basket, handing her forbidden items, lots of singing, etc.

7 Likes

We gave Pipsqueak free access to Corelle plates in her drawer when she turned 3. I consider them to be “fragile” enough that we says “these are glass plates so we need to be careful with them” but not actually fragile unless they are getting dropped/tossed around.

5 Likes

We have two plane trips coming up over the next 6 months where we’ll also have a rental car.

Pipsqueak is still rear-facing in our carseat which goes to 50lbs but is a beast to travel with. (She’s 35lbs.ish)

We will be doing city driving on the first trip but 5+ hours of free way driving during the second trip (in Boston/Philly/DC so still I’m the US and I’ll have GPS but driving styles are quite different than I’m used to in friendly Los Angeles :rofl:)

So, what should we do?

• Bring the heavy car seat with us
  • Buy a lighter/smaller car seat that is rear facing up to 40lb
  • Rent a car seat - quality and rear facing capabilities unknown
  • Buy a light forward facing car seat
0 voters
1 Like

Do not attempt to travel with your heavy car seat. I did that one time, and my elbow is literally never going to be the same. Even though it was on a cart!

4 Likes

Oh, and I voted for buying a forward-facing seat, but I am not sure if there are any of those that have a closed belt path. The Graco contender keeps the airplane seat buckle away from the child’s back, whereas most car seats let it dig in. So the contender might be worth considering.

Unless I was ready to turn her, I wouldn’t have done a trip with a FF seat with Latte because it would have been a BATTLE to get her back RF. Maybe your kid is easier going but if the money wouldn’t hurt horribly to spend, it wouldn’t be a battle I would have picked!

4 Likes

I’m actually not planning to use it for the plane if possible, but would check it. The car seat on the plane last summer put Pipsqueak at the perfect height to kick the seat in front of her anytime she moved an inch. We ditched that car seat on the way home and it was much more enjoyable!

That’s another reason I’m not excited about bringing our personal car seat, I’m not sure how much it will get tossed around in checked luggage.

3 Likes

Get the Contender, install RF using the FF recline setting (allowed for air travel) on the plane, enjoy not just no kicking seats but also no ability to drop shit out of her lap and maybe sleep, install as you please in the car.

5 Likes

Hmm ok we may try this on the 2-hour flight. My kid is 3.5 and hates sitting in a car seat for more than 45 minutes so I’m a bit worried about forcing her to sit there on the plane. In fact, we’re breaking up the drive from Boston to Philly with a hotel along the way because we’ve never been able to drive for more than 3 hours without constant crying after the 3 hour point. :grimacing::grimacing:

Is is a lot safer to have her in a car seat on an airplane? I was mostly assuming the outcome of any plane crash would not hinge on being in a car seat but maybe there are minor incidents where it would matter?

3 Likes

Basically yes that’s it exactly. If the plane falls out of the sky, no one is surviving anyway. If there’s epic turbulence, or an incident during takeoff or landing (more likely than falling out of the sky), it is better to be in a car seat, especially under 40lbs. Plus checking the seat risks loss or damage, but most concerning would be unseen damage which could affect car travel safety.

3 Likes

Mine did much better at 2yo directly in the airplane seat, where he could wiggle. Car seat just resulted in angry toddler. Last month at 3.5yo I didn’t even try to put him in car seat. I did wrap my arm around him during takeoff/landing and turbulence.

Not cheap but I love the Pico WayB which can be easily carried in one hand or backpack style with its own straps. It folds small enough to fit in the overhead. Our long flight sort of pushed Spore to his limit, so not waiting for checked bags was great.

2 Likes

Wow! Only 8 lbs!

1 Like

Yeah, we also use it as an option for taking Lyfts, taxis, etc a few times a year. Between the lightweight car seat, potty training, nap flexibility, etc. travel got so so so much easier after he was about 2.5 or 3.

1 Like

I want this! But, we usually don’t travel by plane, two trips a year is unusual, so I’m having a hard time justifying the cost. Hmmm

This is my prediction as well. I think I’ll look into the five points harnesses that you can add to a plane seat belt for takeoff and landing and call it good.

If it was just the long east coast trip, I’d have a cheaper car seat sent to my friend’s house in Boston (we would take public transit to their house) and leave it on the east coast at the end of the trip. It’s the pesky weekend trip to Denver in a few weeks that is ruining that plan since we’ll need a car seat there too. (Unless any Denver friends happen to have an extra one laying around and are available to meet us at the car rental place lol).

3 Likes