Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Oh no! That’s a bummer

3 Likes

Thanks folks! Unfortunately I think it’s an area where the research has changed in the last few years, so at this point if he develops a serious food allergy there’s a large percent chance it’s my fault for waiting too long. Oh well! All I can do is try to be better.

3 Likes

Raising him like a second baby! More resilience! Go you avoiding the pitfalls of first baby hood.

Also
Choking - yikes

6 Likes

I was really trying to be this parent but at this point everything I’ve done this with has backfired! So really making an effort to be more of a rules/structure mom now.

3 Likes

If you’re looking for not having to Think about it, the mix-ins are a nice option. Here’s a monthly pack that covers the top 7 allergens.

For my first kid I actually bought full tubs, didn’t use them up, and then mixed the rest into my own smoothies years later.

Here’s their blog post linking to the paper @brackenjoy mentioned about variable protein quality. There Are Big Differences Between Early Introduction Products – Lil Mixins

I hate to be a help rejecting complainer, but like @Bracken_Joy said, there have been multiple lawsuits etc because products like this don’t include what they say they include. I wish though, it would be great!

2 Likes

Other risk factors (relatives, asthma, eczema) are substantially more predictive than timing of allergy intro, so very much not a “fault” situation here.

5 Likes

If it was that clear cut it wouldn’t have taken us 20 years of intense scientific debate to figure out our recommendations on peanut intro, you know?

6 Likes

I added a link to the research study that shows test results above, but that might be more work than just getting & feeding the actual foods on your own!

Is this from your ped? I never got a list :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Also, just, major solidarity in feeling behind. I don’t know if that ever goes away? I hope so

2 Likes

Thanks for saying that!

At one point I asked our donor if he had any allergies etc, and he said that because he grew up in Beijing when the air quality was so bad, it made him tough and he doesn’t have allergies/asthma/etc. Since that is the literal opposite of how it works hopefully those genes are on our side!

7 Likes

Literally G’s perspective but less smog.

7 Likes

Solid Starts! Which as you know I am convinced is funded by right wing interests to punish working women. So who knows, hopefully it’s fake.

5 Likes

Ah OK. I didn’t pay for it so I didn’t pay attention to anything on the app beyond how to cut things for certain ages lol whoops

2 Likes

Ok, so it seems I was blessed/cursed with a strong baby. We bought a pack n play so I could throw her toys in and put her in and she could play and there was no way this would be not baby proof right?

WRONG

This menace grabbed the side and started walking her feet up the side. She’s not quite at getting over the edge but um she figured this out in like a day and keeps trying to get higher.

Now that’s not my concern because I can still make sure the pack and play is in eyeshot and get her down. Kind of defeats the I don’t have to redirect her when I’m doing something but okay I guess.

But now she’s experimenting with trying to do it in the crib. She hasn’t figured out that her feet have to go on the slats to do it and slats aren’t everywhere. But I don’t know if she’s going to figure it out eventually??? Children aren’t supposed to be able to figure out how to climb out on the lowest setting this early?

What do I doooo

8 Likes

Oh no and also yay Mo?

A few friends babyproof a whole room and then fence it in with extra tall baby gates.

3 Likes

Um… If her legs ever get stuck between the slats, just make sure to pull the leg chub back into the crib side before you try to wrangle the knee out.

6 Likes

A sleep sack my prevent this for a while longer in the crib.

3 Likes

Wow sounds like something you know from experience…

4 Likes