Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Allergy alert! We get constant reminders from school for no food, so make sure you check!!

6 Likes

At the library a while back I found the mythology section near the kids books and also saw this religions book so I picked them up as a starter kit for talking about religions of the world. They also make a nice change from reading the same old books over and over at home. For the religion book, I do one page at bedtime before moving on to the normal, more story oriented reading. It’s been a good way to incorporate teaching what was an overwhelmingly big (to me) topic. There’s several other mythology books at the library, this was just to get us started.

(I’ve heard of the UU lessons on world religions, I see what I’m doing as a precursor step, and we’ll get to that at some point in the future.)

Whoops, thought I put this on the gold star parenting thread. All well.

11 Likes

A great point! I always include a request to notify us of allergies before playdates & parties. For the party bag situation I would hand an empty bag to each child + parent and have them fill the bag. This is also how we’ve seen othera do it at a few parties, worked well so far.

6 Likes

Why do people put swim shirts on their boys during swim class indoors? Is there some norm I’m missing? Easier for teachers to grab them?

6 Likes

I don’t know, but because I’m a bit sun-phobic (I come by it honestly! Do you know how many sunburns my pale Irish redhead little baby buns suffered growing up in southern Arizona in the 70’s???) I always insisted on sun protective shirts on my kids when swimming. Because of that, my son did not know that he, as a boy, could forgo the shirt when not in a sunny situation. He felt comfortable in the shirt and uncomfortable without out. He may even still feel that way, honestly. So maybe that’s part of it?

11 Likes

Exactly this, it may not be the parents putting the shirts on, but the boys just not having a concept that they do not have to wear a shirt. Mine have always thought that a boy’s bathing suit includes a shirt.

7 Likes

And with toddlers you always have that cat out of the bag situation. Once you let them do it once (indoors) you may never get them back in a swim shirt again (outdoors). So it might just be easier not to change it up.

10 Likes

It’s a little warmer, but just sets the stage for always wearing a swim shirt outside.

6 Likes

Because as toddlers my kids got cold quick so more coverage. My favourite comfy swimsuit for Duckling is a full body zipper one, hard to get rashies over his head. Has short sleeves and legs on it, and he wears it indoors and out. Its like a wetsuit but bathers material instead of wetsuit material.

6 Likes

I posted this in the pregnancy topic and someone suggested I cross post it here.

So, my sister in law is pregnant and I am going to be an aunt this summer! They just had their anatomy scan today.

Results that need further testing

There were a few abnormalities on the ultrasound:
-echogenic focus (bright spot on the heart)
-enlarged kidney
-possible club foot (baby was moving a lot and tech wasn’t sure)

None are particularly concerning on their own. The first two are associated with Down Syndrome. All three combined is enough to get them referred to a high risk doctor for more detailed scans and to discuss further genetic testing like an amniocentesis. My SIL got her blood drawn today about some preliminary genetic testing and will hear back in a week.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but since it’s not really my news to share with anyone IRL, especially since any possible diagnosis isn’t confirmed yet, it feels easier to talk about somewhere more anonymous. I’m just hoping that whatever happens, the baby is physically healthy and will live a happy life with a lot of support. I know some of you have also walked the road of uncertain results during pregnancy and/or early childhood, and I am definitely open to hearing any advice on ways I can be there for my brother and SIL as they navigate what’s next. (Though we do live in different states so I’m limited on any physical help I can provide.)

8 Likes

It sounds like they have a good medical support system and they’re working towards answers. With Kiddo our “answers” were initially a pattern of symptoms around 4-6 months old and we didn’t get an official diagnosis till he was 2, I just mention that in case it’s a longer timeline until an official diagnosis happens. The diagnosis was helpful for an insurance perspective but since we were already treating the symptoms for eighteen months before that it didn’t make a big change in it day to day lives. That’s specific to us, example of one, etc. Etc. Etc.

As far as what you can do for them, depending on your relationship with them you could possibly say “I won’t bring up any of the medical stuff unless you bring it up first and want to talk about it. But I will be 100% excited auntie who is so ready to meet this awesome little person you’re bringing into the world.”

Having a safe space so they can enjoy the highlights of expecting their first child is really good even if their parenting journey is already different from what they expected.

12 Likes

Thanks so much! I will definitely make it clear I am an excited aunt no matter what. They also sent the ultrasound pics along with the news, and we all had a conversation about how cute baby is looking already!

10 Likes

You’re doing Aunting right!

8 Likes

Parent expertise needed! I would like to hire a mothers helper/babysitter for one weekend morning a week. I’d be home and doing other stuff while they hung out with the baby. I’m assuming we’d want someone for 3-6 months.

I’d want someone who is comfortable getting a baby to nap, so someone with baby experience. I’d also want someone who gives me the baby to nurse when he needs to eat, which it seems like some caretakers mind and some don’t. This is just to say I know we are a little more picky than “baby stays alive.”

Do you all tip for this type of role? I’m assuming we’d find a better candidate if we advertise a higher hourly salary, but I wasn’t sure if we should budget for tips as part of it.

5 Likes

I would not tip regularly for this, but I would maybe offer a holiday bonus around that time if it lasted that long. Regular salary should be fine.

6 Likes

Excellent timing of question because I basically want exactly the same thing.

3 Likes

+1.

4 Likes

I can send you my post language once I have it!!

2 Likes

I would probably also round up. This is not the place to be nickel and diming.

3 Likes

I would post a good hourly rate and not tip.

Personally I would guess you’ll get what your looking for more easily if you use words like “part-time nanny” and “one parent working from home with dedicated office space”. I know you won’t actually be working at a JOB per day but that signals that you will be staying out of their way but will be home.

YMMV :grin:

9 Likes