Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I put off shoes for a while by getting moccasin-style shoes (ours were from Birdrock Baby), with socks inside them for extra insulation when needed. They’re not fully waterproof, but water resistant enough for shorter use.

But my winter is a bit less intense than yours and I think Spore started walking in late spring/early summer. The baby doesn’t need shoes yet (he’s just pulling to stand now), but he has these thick fleecy socks with grippers for excursions where I want more warmth on his feet and also grip, like stroller to cafe.

3 Likes

Oooo these cushy grip socks could be gooood thank you!

2 Likes

Super helpful!!

2 Likes

I think I’ve posted these before but we liked these for around on sidewalks which had lots of poky things. It’s rarely cold where I live though.

https://www.hannaandersson.com/baby-accessories-footwear/50659-011.html?dwvar_50659-011_color=011

2 Likes

We do water shoes in summer. This baby was super opposed to even those, so in the fall I got grippy sock things (also good for indoor places that require shoes) then h&m fluffy fake ugg bear things. By Dec he was okay in his winter boots. But on nice days or car outings we still prefer the ugg type.

Ours are exactly this but from Amazon
Toddler grip sock shoes.

We also have a longer pair that stays on longer because it is almost to his knees and therefore a project

3 Likes

I’ve gotten ads for the sock shoe type and wondered about them–thanks!

1 Like

We got 2 pr of those and they lasted through 2 kids, nice and easy to throw in the washing machine as well. Our climate is extremely mild so we just did shoes where there might be nasties on the ground (which range from bees to glass). The brand we bought was Attipas, straight from the brand’s website.

2 Likes

Calling all Spanish speakers and librarian friends! @noitsbecky @BiblioFeroz

Can you recommend some good picture books in Spanish? I have a 3 year old so something appropriate for that age group. I’m trying to learn Spanish and have realized that reading kids books to my daughter is helping more than traditional things like Duolingo or flashcards etc.

We have Dia de Mercado and recently got Gracias/Thanks by Pat Mora from the library. Our local library doesn’t have Spanish books other than that one but a farther away branch has a full collection so I’m trying to put together list to start requesting.

7 Likes

Does your county qualify for imagination library? A lot of the books they send are bilingual with Spanish.

2 Likes

Sadly it doesn’t!

2 Likes

We get as many books as possible in both languages. The biggest hits in our house have been brown bear and these “my family/mi familia” books that we got from the pediatrician when the girls were babies. For most books I read each line in both languages for them. For Brown Bear we alternate page by page “Oso pardo, oso pardo, que ves ahi? I see a red bird looking at me” etc. We’ve been adding more eric carle books as we find them since the girls know all of those books be heart in english and they love repeating them to me in spanish.

It really stinks that your library doesn’t have many spanish books! At our library half of the kids section is spanish only or bilingual books!

3 Likes

Yeah, our main big library that’s in walking distance is closed for several years because the building was condemned and so it’s collections have been redistributed and/or put into storage. We have a tiny branch about 1.1 miles from us that has a decent selection of kids books but they told us all the Spanish books were placed in other branches with higher percentages of native Spanish speakers in those zip codes.

5 Likes

Does it have a holds system? My library system pulls from all branches for holds. I look up book lists, put stuff on hold, then drop off and pickup in one fell swoop.

I do not live in a big place lol.

5 Likes

Yep! That’s why I’m looking for a list of recommendations so I know what to request. Otherwise I’d just grab a few and glance through them in person.

4 Likes

Ooooh I getcha!

2 Likes

I love the book lists on Mighty Girl!
https://www.amightygirl.com/blog/?p=16185

3 Likes

OOOH - we just had rainbow weaver for a few weeks. 10/10 recommend

4 Likes

I feel like when I was a bilingual teacher, a lot of the books we had were just translated versions of popular children’s books. I don’t have good, authentic suggestions. But I remember Salta, Ranita, Salta! was fun. And La Oruga Muy Hambriente. And oh my gosh, my first graders and I laughed so much at Cerdos a montones, Cerdos a granel!.

5 Likes

A couple that come to mind are My Papi Has a Motorcycle and Paletero Man - I think they both have Spanish versions.

These are not broken out by age group but here are some recommendation lists made by Spanish-speaking librarians:
https://www.denverlibrary.org/node/650084
https://www.denverlibrary.org/es/kids/list/cuentos-Ilustrados-esencial-infantil

2 Likes

On the topic of books, anyone have recos for books about women or girls or nb people doing traditionally male things?

My 3yo son recently insisted that “electricians can only be mans” and no logic or exhortations of fairness from me would budge him that womans can be electricians too. Finally husband asked, “Where did you hear that, Spore? Did you read it in a book?” and he said “yeah”.

Richard Scarry, etc. are delightful but there are SO many gendered traps – Mistress Mouse is the tow truck company, but all the firefighters are “firemen”. It’s funny, he LOVES books like Ada Twist, Scientist and Louise Bourgeois Made Giant Spiders And Wasn’t Sorry, but there’s such a strong default in so many books that I need to stem the tide.

I did show him several Instagrams of women astronauts. Did you know lots of astronauts have Instagram accounts and they’re freaking rad? astro_birch, astrojaws are a couple fun ones.

10 Likes