Random Questions, Parenting Edition

The removable drawers are really amazing. Eldest can take out one thing and move it around the house and it is just one thing out. For example a week ago she took out the paint drawer brought it to the dining room table, painted and then everything went easily back in the drawer and back away. It was absolutely amazing considering before everything was tossed in a closet and a massive mess.

3 Likes

We have a little three-drawer organizer, and it’s always spilling things out because they haven’t been put back in properly and the drawers won’t close. This does look pretty amazing.

Oh yeah, this was while trying to leave the room for a 5-minute check in lol.

She also screamed and thrashed in the preschool parking lot.for long enough (20 minutes) that we decided she was still a bit under the weather and took her home. Somewhat confirmed by the 2 hour nap she took ON MY LAP in the rocking chair like some sort of snuggly small child. She seems to be feeling much better but spouse wants one of us to stay in the room with her until she falls asleep tonight since she’s had several rough nights and a bit of a runny nose lingering from a cold. I’ve agreed but tomorrow night the school drop off and bedtime boundaries are back in full force. Send good wishes lol.

7 Likes

How big of a deal is the arsenic rice cereal thing? I’ve heard a range of opinions from “never give baby rice cereal ever” to “ehh there’s contaminants in everything, just feed a varied diet.”

2 Likes

I went with the latter approach but I prefer baby oatmeal and baby wheat cereal. You don’t really “need” rice cereal.

1 Like

Yeah I’m just trying to start getting something iron fortified in and she seems put off by oats.

2 Likes

The Gerber wheat cereal is harder to find but you could try that!

2 Likes

Will do, thanks!

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder if they don’t make it anymore? It’s not on the Gerber site even

2 Likes

Boo! They do still make a multi grain that is mostly wheat, maybe she would like it better than plain oatmeal.

2 Likes

I think I’ll try that!

2 Likes

We did a quinoa and oats cereal thing and mixed in a bit of banana (or peanut butter after we introduced peanuts) and Pipsqueak liked that a lot better than plain.

2 Likes

Yeah I tried mixing it into pears but it just made her mad that it wasn’t just pears anymore :laughing: maybe in smaller proportions or with things with stronger flavor…

2 Likes

Maybe as an overnight oats kind of thing? I like the texture better that way, and then maybe it could be over night oats with pear.

2 Likes

On your original question - we decided to avoid rice cereal. We already (for adults) we’re only buying rice from “safer” regions so it was in line with our family plan to avoid rice products. We do eat rice at restaurants and serve it to the kiddo but that’s not often m at home we parboil rice. If we weren’t already doing all of that than it probably would have been an area that we just fed without worry.

Have you talked to your doc about iron? We supplemented with Nova ferrum at that age (and then formula)

4 Likes

I mean it’s like super fine oat cereal. So yeah maybe if it soaks a long time? Maybe it will become less gritty?

2 Likes

We did and I have a multivitamin but it’s disgusting and makes her constipated, which is why I was introducing pears. I figure if I can get her to eat a reasonable quantity of pears then maybe it can offset some iron constipation?

1 Like

Isn’t baby cereal intended to be cooked?

2 Likes

O_o

I… I don’t know??

Runs to read box

3 Likes

Ok it’s just meant to be mixed with formula/milk/liquid

3 Likes