Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I bookmarked this adorable and inexpensive wool suit but didn’t pull the trigger due to size! Hand Made Knitted Zip Up Red Winter Snowsuit Toddler | eBay

3 Likes

I have run a space heater at the other end of the room from my toddler, when he slept in a very drafty room. It was a heater I had already owned and used daily for several winters, which gave a bit of confidence.

I accidentally napped my baby in a thick sweater last week and he slept so well. I’ve been experimenting with sweatshirt over onesie, and then sleep sack, since then. Wool is very nice but you can probably see if adding more layers that she already owns will help her sleep longer. Either a mid weight jacket, or double sleep sack.

I check if fingers & toes are warm - if they are, then it’s not like dangerous cold.

4 Likes

Wool is esp a win if they’re a sweaty sleeper I should mention.

3 Likes

Fleece
Pyjamas but let me find a graphic

1 Like

I think hat, even a sweater layer is fine (no hoodie obvs).

2 Likes

So I know generally for very wee ones screen time is not recommended, but at what point do I have to worry about if we’re watching something violent/scary and she captures a glimpse of something?

We were watching Prometheus the other day and I’m like… I’m gonna turn you away more because I don’t want me to be seeing this much less you to be seeing it.

3 Likes

I noticed stimulation-related meltdown from screens appearing at bedtime with Latte when she was just 2-3 months old. She’s always been very sound sensitive though. But notably, she didn’t even have to be watching, and she didn’t have to meltdown at the time, for screens equals rougher next sleep to apply. In the room was sufficient. When we stopped all screens when she was awake and moved to only music it was pretty instantly apparent though, so it’ll be easy to test if Mo is as intense about it as Latte is.

4 Likes

Oh interesting. I was more wondering about when the content of the show would affect her but since we watch something most nights it would be interesting to see if we can move watching stuff to while she’s sleeping to see if there’s any effect on her mood or sleep.

5 Likes

I mean, babies are sensitive to tone of voice at birth. So I’d assume intense content could be potentially upsetting at any age? They won’t remember bad language for a long time still though so don’t worry on that part :joy:

(Cut to when husband and I just pretended not to understand Latte asking what “fuck” meant until she forgot the word entirely….)

3 Likes

Starting at around 3-4 months we noticed D1 looking toward the screen if the tv was on, so that’s when we started our rule of no tv turned on while children are awake. All tv watching in our house happens during nap time or after bedtime.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think this is very baby-dependent. Cuckoo mostly looks at the screen if it’s something that she finds interesting (eg, Teletubbies, the dog on Yoga with Adrienne) and otherwise ignores the TV so I am just now starting to worry about content.

4 Likes

Yeah, with B1 I stopped watching TV when he was awake when he started turning to see.

We repealed that with a family movie night exception when the 2020 Christmas/most of 2021 relockdown started. I stopped audiobooks and podcasts about murder when he demonstrated understanding sentences. With B2 it was mainly kids programming, and already limited. But we also got sick so much that he got way more before one than he should have. We definitely have a chaos approach to screentime.

4 Likes

I don’t know the “should”, but I dont think we did with either child while awake. I couldnt handle it when baby was young enough to be unaware, for one. They understand a heck of a lot, earlier than you expect, so maybe skip the scarier etc stuff while she’s awake now?

2 Likes

Question regarding tantrums. I have read many times not to give in to a tantrum once it’s started. However, how much effort should be made in providing the perfect environment that prevents tantrums? I’ll preface this by saying that DH and I cannot come to an agreement on this. He makes sure that DD has a blue fork and spoon, blue cup, blue straw at every meal because blue is her favorite color and she lately has been throwing a fit if her utensils etc are a different color. I never catered to that and never had issues with it until recently, which I think is because DH started being very proactive about always providing blue stuff. She also recently has taken to bringing everyone’s food, drinks, and silverware to the table before meals. However this takes her a long time. I’ve told her that I am going to help and this has caused a tantrum, so now DH says I should just let her do it to avoid the tantrum. Anyone have any advice on how to proceed? I worry that if we walk on eggshells around her it will just feed into the control/tantrums. I’d rather have a few tantrums upfront, lay down the ground rules, and then not have to be so careful about every little thing going forward. He thinks it’s just a strategy to keep the peace and it isn’t causing more rigidity/control issues.

7 Likes

First off,

That’s hilarious. But I take your point in the rest of the post.

On the one hand I get trying to teach that she won’t always get her way, but what’s the difficulty in having a blue item available? What does it look like if you frame it as “Here are the choices available” and none are blue? Does she immediately go to tantrum mode?

For a lot of parenting things I try to look at it as “will this matter in ten years?” aka I’m not doing to choose every hill to be the hill I die on. Having blue cutlery available (even if it means getting more) seems like a minor thing to me. Teaching a kid not to go to pieces over every slight inconvenience is a different thing, but that’s also age/personality dependent. Basically, what’s the root problem you’re looking to address?

Signed,
A parent of a kid that never got into a major “I love this color so everything must be this color” phase or similar thing, so feel free to ignore or take with a big grain of salt

5 Likes

Yep I take the approach of- there’s plenty of stuff I cannot be flexible on. Safety and hygiene. So if I’m not invested in something, why do I care? Like- I don’t care if receipts are in my cup holders but my husband does, so I put them in the side door “trash spot”. I don’t need it to be a battle cuz I don’t care. I take the same logic to stuff with my kids I guess. I don’t mind grabbing the blue plate. Now, if it’s dirty and I’m in a rush? I might opt to say it’s not available and deal with the tantrum (which let’s be honest takes more time than just washing the damn plate lol). I guess I subscribe to “why I am being more rigid and punitive with a kid than I would be with a grownup?” And just opt to avoid battles when I don’t mind the effort. But I also have a brother who went to war about everything even with very rigid predictable parenting so I don’t personally think “hold the line every time and they’ll learn” actually works. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

DH and I have similar disagreements, but on the opposite sides from you and your DH. Yes, once a tantrum has started we generally do not give in, but often once we are alone I will say something like “she politely asked for the pink plate, you said no and that caused a tantrum. Why not just give her the pink plate to begin with? That didn’t have to be a fight”. I’m strongly in the side of “pick your battles”.

My girls are also very independent and want to do everything themselves and I know how much longer it takes to do things with them/let them do it, like chores or setting the table. However, I often remind myself that this is how they are learning and how they are gaining a sense of accomplishment and responsibility and that those things feed good self esteem. It is my job is to help foster that, even if it takes longer than I want it to.

7 Likes

Laughing because one of Latte’s “chores” (she asked for chores after watching Kiki’s delivery service lol) is unloading some of the dishes. Takes agggggges which is why I’m on the forum right now :joy: agree though, worth it.

7 Likes

One of my many mottos is “Make it easy for kids to be good.” Another one is “Pick your battles.”

I have a favorite knife and fork, so I’m not going to criticize anyone else’s cutlery preference.

8 Likes

Omg maybe this is part of why I don’t mind :joy::joy::joy: I am the most particular weirdo on planet earth. I have a favorite knife. Pan. Burner. Fork. Mug. Plate. Etc. Why would me kid be any different :joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes