Random Questions, Parenting Edition

How long after dropping dairy and soy would I be able to see improvement if it was an issue?

3 Likes

Her diaper rash and baby acne went away within about 36 hours. She stopped aspirating milk as much within the first three days. Gassiness I would say I really noticed after a week?

1 Like

I haven’t tested soy independently because I’m pretty soy intolerant so frankly I shouldn’t be eating it anyway, and MSPI often travels as a pack you know? But I did one re-introduction test of dairy and it flared her up massively again so I know it it’s for sure an issue.

Reading economista’s experience about eggs, makes me very unhappy because Luna does still aspirate milk sometimes, and have some fussiness and gassiness, but I am like depending on eggs for my survival. That would be a very, very hard thing for me to drop. I’ll ponder this more.

2 Likes

The standard is 2 weeks to get out of your system and then 2 weeks to get out of baby’s system, so 4 weeks. Like the others, we saw improvement within a couple of days with Duckling.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen “up to a month” a lot, but it seems virtually everyone sees some improvement really quickly, it just may continue to improve even more. That’s why this time I was like “I’ll give it 1 week and see, and decide then” since I couldn’t imagine doing any more. But once it was clear it was helping that kept me going.

4 Likes

Does anyone have (or had) experience with two little kids sharing a room, especially if they have different bedtimes? How do you make it work? Sometime in the next year or so I’d like to get Spore (3y) and TR (6 mos) sharing a room. Spore is asking already, but until the baby is sleeping through the night I think it would be too disruptive.

7 Likes

My kids get along incredibly well, but they’ve been sharing since kid1 was 5y and kid2 was 12 months, I think? 4 year age difference; kid1 sleeps deeper than kid2 and has higher sleep needs. Kid 2 was still in a cot when we moved her in from our room to the shared kid room, and now she sleeps on a foam mattress on the floor.

We have found that either they need to go to bed at exactly the same time OR fully different times, i.e. first child completely deep sleep before bringing in the second for their bedtime. We’ve had to remove a child (kid2) to the loungeroom to finish playing with one parent so she would stop disrupting Kid1 from falling asleep. One he was fully asleep, we bring kid2 into the room to settle.

They’re now 6.5 & 2.5 and sharing is going great for us. We also gave the kids 1 shelf on a bookshelf in their room for their own bits but their room is almost exclusively for sleeping, so not too many fights over toys in that particular room. Certain soft toys are fought over regularly for bedtime cuddles though, particularly pikachu.

Oh and kid2 only started sleeping through in the past month or so. She rarely woke kid1, but he’s a deep sleeper. And of course there’s the nights when they both keep waking and you end up awake all night anyway.

8 Likes

Our kids shared from when J2 was about 8 months and J1 3.5, until their older sister moved out - I think they were 4 & 7 then.

They both sleep hard - once they are out they are out. So even the baby waking overnight didn’t wake J1.

We had a toyroom downstairs, so the bedroom contained clothes, beds, stuffies, and a few books that I would rotate. Sometimes I’d find one brother asleep in the middle of the floor, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

5 Likes

Mine are 18 months and almost 4. We have a double size mattress topper and a crib mattress in the boys’ room. My deadline for it working at least for cosleeping was I think 11 months so that we could survive when G had a conference. So we started doing it off and on for forever, but transferring baby to our room when he woke up.

I agree with lady duck. Either same bedtime or first one asleep has to be very asleep and second one can’t be too silly.

They do really well and sleep better than solo. I want to put two twins in there, but I don’t think the older is ready

4 Likes

@ladyduck @star @ellep Thanks for all the anecdotes, keep them coming. Cabin weekend so we’ll all sleep in the same room tonight. We’ll see how that goes :crossed_fingers:t4:

Yay! That’s very sweet to hear.

3 Likes

We all shared a studio apartment on a weekend holiday (cousins wedding) when Pumpkin was a year old and it was exhausting chaos because she was in her year-long “4AM is the time to get up” phase. And there was nowhere for me to take a tiny toddler at 4AM so the others could sleep. At home that wasnt a problem at all.

4 Likes

Q- probably mainly for parents of children who don’t respond to typical parenting advice…

How do you make things like getting ready to go outside or listening to your body/doing all the potty things into something automatic? So far we have the pre bedtime ritual pretty well under control. Table rules are generally respected with some more freedom than I had as a kid.

Basically, how can I make peeing on the carpet taboo, and winter clothes not a physical battle (assume I have read or tried everything you can google or youtube in 3 years).

Do I just have to keep pushing through?

Do I add a light jacket and summer hat daily when it’s warm so there is less change?

Also, tv style toddler tantrums are ADORABLE! No one told me! You aren’t at all worried about them and they are so cute

10 Likes

I think you just keep pushing through with the understanding that whatever they fight you on this week, they’ll find something different in a month.

2 Likes

During the resistance phase on outdoor gear, I would take her outside and then get her geared up. Something glorious about standing out in the freezing cold makes gear all the more appealing. It also happened helped at this time to be exposed to other kids getting geared up. Being near other parents gearing their kids up for Forest School really helped.

pottying, a magic phrase for us has been “you don’t have to pee, I just want you to sit on the toilet and try”. For some reason this works way better than telling her she hast to go pee. :woman_shrugging: and of course, the whole, “once you sit and try, then we will go.” Ie focusing on the next thing.

4 Likes

This did not work for us, it was still a huge imposition on him (:roll_eyes:) and usually we’d have to insist even with the nice phrasing. For us it was “we’re leaving the house, this is a thing you do like it or not, we’re doing it too/have just done it too”. Which was… Better. Not perfect. Mr. Meer had (and still has) the unfortunate habit of putting things as questions instead of statements, that way lies madness and refusals.

7 Likes

I am a HUGE fan of the after/then phrasing, and use it through the high school stage.

“After you use the potty, then we can go to the playground.” And then go on about my business which makes it clear that it’s on them. (This is much less effective if they don’t want to go wherever, but sometimes they fall for it anyway.)

4 Likes

Really struggled with this too until one of the Daniel Tiger episodes where they say “maybe yes, maybe no”. Not we reeling then maybe yes maybe no and they are willing to do it :woman_shrugging: it’s like magic

3 Likes

I don’t know what is standard or not, so just gonna share lived experience!

Meowlet pees himself when he’s so into something else and doesn’t or can’t focus. So like TV or a very engrossing activity. We do timers to check in with his body. We pause tv and say okay how does it feel. This goes well sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t.

Transitions are still hard for us, not because he tantrums but because it takes a million years. What has worked best I picked on some ADHD podcast and it’s the fornula “I have asked you to do x. You haven’t done it. Please do x.” And that usually refocuses him on it. But also, he doesn’t tantrum. He wanders. Not sure that is even helpful at all.

I live in a warm enough climate that if he won’t get ready I just let him suffer the cold til he asks for a jacket but I can see how that is not the move further north. :frowning:

3 Likes

Actually, I find that saying “Okay, but it’s really cold” and carrying the gear with me outside usually results in a demand for coat and hat in about 5 minutes. It’s REALLY cold here!

Plus if you’re going in the car you have to carry the coat separately anyway.

3 Likes

Same here. Bring the coat with and let them be cold until the decide it’s too cold. It’s worked every time except when it’s been in the 50s F. Then my eldest thinks coats aren’t needed and she’s not going to freeze to death anyway.

3 Likes