Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I did a nice “crunch up and writhe on the couch while my toddler watched tv and practiced labor breathing” lol, not quite as fun as choochoos. (Thanks. I was pretty sure the whole time it was just GI, but it was coming in waves and after about 45 min without relief I started to get worried… very glad it was just dormant IBS saying hello!)

7 Likes

My IBS is waving at yours from the toilet right now👋

6 Likes

Hey heyyyyyy. Truly a shitty club :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m trying to decide on a crib mattress and I have no idea what to get. Is there any reason not to get this Graco one and just move on?

Another option I’m considering:

The first seems to be for infants and toddlers but not like a two-sided, whereas the second seems to be explicitly a two-sided mattress, one for infants and one for toddlers.

1 Like

There’s no reason. It all depends on your priorities and some people want to do a deep dive on mattress ingredients etc. but as long as your baby has a safe place to sleep you’re doing great.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m just so stressed out by the huge number of options.

4 Likes

I know the feeling well. Save the energy for something that matters to you!!

3 Likes

It’s fine, get it and move on.

A lot of baby gear has to meet very stringent regulations so even the most basic stuff is still good enough if you’re buying new. Car seats, formula (barring dietary restrictions of course), cribs. Marketers just want to drive us crazy thinking we need their specific thing.

5 Likes

Get it

2 Likes

Do you have ikra? Thei are good to stresmline

3 Likes

FWIW I have the second one. It seems like a mattress.

2 Likes

We’ve got an Ikea in Denver!

1 Like

Now that it’s getting to be summer… how does everyone manage sun protection/spf for their kids? Any tips and tricks, products… and , for example, favorite ways put sunscreen on a toddler as fast as humanly possible?

I feel like my game could be improved

5 Likes

Our best day this year involved me bribing with bluey during application. The face stick and a liquidy body lotion seem like out least traumatic, and physically holding down. I am also considering switching to collared shirts for the extra burney one. I also apply outside because it is a fight and messy either way, and he seems to run less outside.

Considering sprays this year too.

For legs he likes helping but upper body is just causing some intergenerational trauma in exchange for less cancer.

3 Likes

Face sticks! My daughter’s school requires sunscreen to be applied every single day. My girls also like putting it on and fight over who gets it first :woman_shrugging: We use the stick for her face/ears and then last year we used the spray for their bodies but I think that might be something the little one’s skin is sensitive to, so today I used lotion on arms and legs instead.

3 Likes

Sun shirts, to minimize amount of fighting I mean sunscreen needed. Sunscreen sticks. Two. One for them and one for you. They can put it on themselves, or on you, lol. They’re so handy. We like this one: Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Mineral Sunscreen Stick for Sensitive Skin with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Protection for Face & Body, Naturally Sourced 100% Zinc Oxide, Travel Size, 0.47 oz https://a.co/d/9OOeazH

4 Likes

Oooh yes, totally forgot to mention sun shirts. We have like, 6 per child and wear them every day. Or some form of long sleeves every day. We cover up as much as possible.

5 Likes

Yep, we have 2 of the Columbia ones. I want to try one of the primary ones since I’ve heard good things.

We also just ordered these pants for forest school:
Columbia Kids & Baby Silver Ridge Pull-On Pant https://a.co/d/ieCAWRV

Don’t have them yet though so can’t report on how they are but a blogger I like listed them as the best summer hiking pants for toddlers.

3 Likes

I bought some refillable rollers and the kids prefer that to wiping the sunscreen on.

5 Likes

GENIUS. Like deodorant rollers? Trying to think of my search terms

1 Like