Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Solar Buddies is the brand I know of.

Yes. Our brand is Solmates, just like a deodorant roller. Needs refilling regularly but arguments over sunscreen have gone from screaming fights every time to sometimes putting it on himself! (The small one is still generally happy for sunscreen because it means outside time)

2 Likes

This. :joy:

We haven’t done sunshirts before…are they cool? It routinely gets to 90+ here during the summer so I hesitate to add layers.

For sunscreen it’s just part of our routine every day of the year (if it’s pouring rain we don’t always but it’s such a part of the routine that sometimes we still do without thinking about it). You have to get sunscreen before going outside. Lots of it. We do a mix of tubes and sticks and distraction and helping. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Yes. My hot blooded child and spouse wear them constantly when we swim even in the depths of Florida summers.

2 Likes

Ah yes we do rash guards for swimming! I was thinking this was for other times.

2 Likes

I have heard but not yet experienced that a sun shirt can be cooler than bare arms because it keeps the sun actually off, but seeing as I have gotten my first ever sun shirt and it hasn’t gotten hot enough to test, results TBD.

1 Like

That’s been my thought too but I think I should get the whole family sun shirts to try this year because we’re pretty good about sunscreening child everytime we go outside but aren’t great about ourselves.

I haven’t tried to find one for Latte, but I have a miracle shirt that is cooler than no shirt in most weather conditions (exception is humid with still air, breeze to overcome the fabric helps a ton). Mine is a Columbia PFG sunshirt with these tiny white disks but miracle thin fabric between? I look slightly like a disco ball or shiny fish but damn if I’m not cool and have NEVER ONCE burnt in it, including camping pregnant this weekend at a beach with no shade for much of it and a UV index of 9.

ETA I think it’s this one?

https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-pfg-tidal-tee-ii-long-sleeve-shirt-1577661.html

3 Likes

We used a the LLBean sun and surf bodysuit for swimming, so only minimal sunscreen was required. Oldest kid had a bad reaction to coppertone, so we use Think Baby sunscreen. It’s a mineral sunscreen. I use disposable makeup sponges to apply it to their faces. I find that’s easier and more tolerable than using my hands. Also they wear a big, floppy hat every time they go outside. I like the Sunday Afternoon play hats. With the hats I only have to apply sunscreen to their faces if we’re near water or sand (reflective).

3 Likes

How was the appointment?

5 Likes

We went ahead and had the tongue tie released. I think the latch is a little better but she’s still biting. I’m seeing lactation again early next week - at least this part of the issue has been addressed.

9 Likes

I got WAY TOO MANY used baby clothes. I’m most of the way through cataloging them, I’ve already set aside for re-gifting/donation of stuff I don’t like, and I still have so much.

I’ve been told “oh just keep everything, they’ll destroy so much via pooping/peeing/puking and then if it’s a huge mess you can throw the occasional thing out without worrying.”

But I think there’s still a level where there’s an amount that is truly too much. Like my guideline from a babylist article and our lower laundry doings to have 14 bodysuits per size. I have in 33-37 bodysuits I don’t hate of every size I’ve fully counted so far!

For reference for newborn sizes, I have 37 bodysuits and 21 sleepers. I’m not even positive our kid based on husband’s family history will EVER fit in newborn clothes, but even with the 4-6 weeks they might fit according to google, and the 1-2 likely outfit changes a day, I could make it through… (37+21)/3= about 20 days just throwing every outfit into the trash after a change?

So like, what’s an actual reasonable amount to keep to have enough extras for an anxious person who wants to be able to throw the worst messes into the trash? But thinks that perhaps not doing laundry for 20 days or throwing literally everything out might be ridiculous?

ETA this is totally unintentional hoarding, people just keep giving me stuff!

5 Likes

It is ridiculous the number of tiny clothes that appear. The newborn/0-3 tote that appeared at my house was larger than the 3T tote, and one of those covered about four months while the other lasted almost an entire year with multiple season changes.

If you have a dresser or something, the container method can help–fill one drawer with onesies and another with pants and be done. Or if there might be variable weather and or a season change in a size, separate drawers or sections for long-sleeved/short-sleeved and one for pants/shorts. Let the space dictate the amount rather than the other way around

Or if you like to be super organized into outfits, you can make matches of tops and bottoms and get rid of anything without a match. Pretty much whenever I had to change an outfit, the entire thing needed switching. I almost always had sleepers for night and outfits for day after the first couple of days, so I liked having enough of those to rotate.

In hindsight, 15 outfits and 10 PJs would have been perfect (regular routine plus wiggle room for not getting to laundry or having some extra changes), and I tend to aim for somewhere around there going upward in size.

There’s so much I got rid of before she was born and still some I just never used. The first few weeks especially, I just had my favorite subset in a fabric bin near the changing station and between the two of us (so much various fluid leakage for me), there was laundry going often enough.

4 Likes

Yep this was my approach. Pick the softest, least stained, best snaps/zips. Fit into drawer (drawer organizers for subtype is extra nice when they’re tiny, ikea sells good ones). Whatever comfortably fits as the number you need out :joy: keep tier two in a bin if you want, elsewhere.

4 Likes

Agree with Frogger and BJ but also…if you have the space, consider hanging onto some of it in an out of the way location. Sometimes you think you want snaps and then you discover you HATE them, or you only want onesies for one stage but then the following week you never want to see another onesie omgwhatapainintheass, and it’s nice to be able to overhaul your entire method of dressing without having to run out and buy. This especially gets true around the milestones: what works for babies that just lie there is less good for rollers/sitters/standers/walkers etc. Give yourself options is all I’m suggesting. Even between kids I had vastly different feelings because they were so different.

5 Likes

This too. I ended up getting rid of all snap sleepers within a month, and got rid of a bunch of shirts that appeared in the toddler sizes, because my kid was bigger than the girl we got them from (age for age) and walked later, and I didn’t like shirts over onesies until walking. Same with skirts (skirts and crawling = no).

But you also don’t have to keep everything (or even anything) if it’s going to pinch your storage points or add stress to do so.

5 Likes

Yeah I think I might go and reduce to like, no more than 20 of each item or double baby list’s higher level of clothes based on low laundry doing? Like I want extras and options but 40 of anything that will in theory fit for 3 months max feels ridiculous.

I might break up sleepers into snaps and zippers categories.

I’m sure part of the overwhelm is also just having no nursery furniture or dresser yet so it’s like what I have hangers for is hanging up but the rest is just in boxes on the floor.

I’m also stuck a little bit on like, will this be seasonally appropriate at the time when kid is wearing it? Even if not should I save it for a not guaranteed next kid at a totally unknown season?

Also should remember if I unwittingly got this much for free without trying I can probably get what I’m missing again.

Ironically, I don’t have enough 0-3 month pj’s. It’s like the only thing I need.

5 Likes

Repeat after me: “easy come, easy go”. This mindset will serve you very well with kid stuff.

NB through about 9m hand me downs are ABSURDLY easy. Everyone buys those sizes, kids barely stay in them, they don’t get worn out. After that it starts to drop off more but esp those sizes, no sweat.

7 Likes

That’s precisely because it’s the only thing you need :joy: basically you’re least likely to get the most useful stuff. This holds true for kids clothes at all sizes, alas.

7 Likes

For the first year-ish, season isn’t super critical for most things. Basic onesies in long sleeve, short sleeve, pants, and shorts will get most of what you need, and a few super seasonal things like rompers or fleece are useful as a just in case (growth spurt, vacation, next kid), but you don’t have to hold as much definitely seasonal as basics to have a good stash. And some seasonal stuff doesn’t reallly matter until much later. A 3 month old doesn’t need a winter coat in the same way a 3 year old does.

Depending on how far up the size range in your hoarde, they start spending more of the time in one size, so you’ll probably need all seasons anyway. But unless there is some super perf thing that would cost $$ to replace, nothing is critical to keep. Think about how future you will probably just want to get everything out when you’re done with it—people want everything out so they will give you everything, but a) it doesn’t mean you actually have to keep/use everything and b) someone for kid two or whatever will also want to get everything out and more will be there

5 Likes