Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Do you have an elongated bowl? Latte refuses to sit all the way back after a pooping incident.

1 Like

No, it’s a round bowl. I have a meeting in a few minutes but I’ll see if after I can get a picture. The way it flips down on the regular seat they have to sit further back to have the hole positioned under them.

1 Like

Thanks! I’d also love a picture or if you know the brad/model you got.

1 Like

Here’s the picture! It is bemis brand I think? I think there was only one brand of these seats at my Home Depot. Hidden just because it feels weird to put up a picture of the toilet😂

Summary

1 Like

If you have the flip-down seats, do you also need a stool so they can climb up on their own?

2 Likes

I have a 2 step stool that I keep in the bathroom but they actually keep it close to the sink. B is tall enough that she puts her hands on the toilet behind her and pushes herself up to sit on it. L also refuses to use the steps and she faces the toilet, boosts herself up using her hands, then turns around and sits on it. We have these seats on both toilets upstairs and only have steps in one bathroom.

1 Like

Squatty potty fits around the toilet to not take up extra room, if you do decide on a stool.

2 Likes

Latte couldn’t use ours it was too narrow unfortunately. Not enough room to turn. Our toilet is tall though.

Someone tell me this will get better?

I spent one night away from Waffles (aged 2 and 3ish months at the time). He traveled to Mr Pancakes’ parents house with his older sister and Mr Pancakes and I followed up the following day. This was in the days before Christmas.

Waffles still cries about it every night before bed. “I missed you mum. I missed you at gramma and Poppy’s house”. He cries tears every night at bedtime recalling it and won’t settle anymore without me cuddling him.

His sister did not seem to miss me at all when she started to spend the occasional night away but it’s been over a month with Waffles and he is still mad about it :pensive:

11 Likes

If you’re a Daniel Tiger family, the “Grownups come back” and “It’s ok to be sad sometimes” episodes have really helped my two-year old.

We also talk about “can you think of something that would help next time?” “Maybe you could take a special X to help you feel safe and loved”.

ETA, at some point we also revert to a boring script every time the topic come up “yes, sometimes you will miss mommy, but I will always come back. What book do you want to read next?”.

9 Likes

I struggle with Daniel Tiger :face_with_peeking_eye: but he does seem to understand that I reappear. Part of the crying involves him telling the story of what happened including me “catching up” and being there the next night.

It’s when the lights are out and he is falling asleep that it happens. I kind of suspect it’s become like a habit but also the tears are real. He does separate from me mostly fine to spend time with his dad and grandparents for the day, but also he is generally a lot clingier than his older sibling. Hopefully I haven’t caught a glimpse of what might happen when he starts childcare or kindergarten.

2 Likes

Duckling is a clingy homebody. We haven’t gone anywhere longer than half a week because he gets homesick. It has gotten better as he gets older but also he always tells us the Big Stuff right as he falls asleep. Sometimes we do a short of busy awareness meditation as we go to bed, saying goodnight to each body part, maybe something like that might disrupt the normal thoughts about when he was away from you?

3 Likes

Ideas around very controlling behavior in play? And how much of it is normal? Latte has gotten very prescriptive. “No, you curl up. No!!! Not like that. Like this. NO not like that!” I’ll try a time or two if we’re playing but then Im just like “okay I’m not playing anymore. You’re micromanaging my body and I don’t like it, I’m done.” I can’t find any articles about it though because everything I’m finding is like “don’t micromanage your kids” and “controlling behavior in kids” but it means like manipulative preteens type stuff. Ideas, leads, commiseration?

1 Like

Couldn’t decide whether to put this here or in baby gear or in enrichment.

We really would like to do a “Montessori floor bed” and would like to start pretty early (ideally when we move them out of our room) to avoid some of the transition pains and extra purchases. But I’m not really sure how to line this up with safe sleep.

If possible we’d like to get a twin XL or full and just have that be their bed permanently (replacing only when it gets too old), but it’s not clear to me what, if any, non-infant mattresses are safe for infants to sleep on unsupervised. Will any firm mattress with tight fitting sheets do? Or should I just get a crib mattress and use that until age (please tell me what age is appropriate idfk) and then just swap out the mattress?

I also like the idea of a safe twin or full mattress so when they are in their own room I can get up, nighttime feed laying next to them, and go right back to bed.

We also know we might want a second child and that they will likely share a room, and how would the infant sleeping safe be possible if a toddler can crawl into bed with them?

Maybe @Bracken_Joy since I think your toddler currently has a floor bed.

3 Likes

I think it’s pretty typical for imaginative play, though IME it has been more about getting mad that I didn’t deliver my lines right.

I would try to improve my delivery until I got bored with it, and then complained that it was no fun, and then left to do something more interesting like clean the toilet. But I have a high tolerance for little kid drama and a deep belief that you learn from the consequences.

Tbh I don’t think there’s any configuration where a toddler to preschooler is safe sharing a room with an infant- too much of a chance of even sweetly “covering them up to be warm” or what have you before the baby is old enough to sleep safely with stuff in their bed.

As for floor beds it depends how safe sleep you want to be- technically the recommendations even for crib mattresses necessitate being within a tight fitting crib because otherwise there’s a risk of wall entrapment. So it’s not just about the firm mattress and nothing else in the bed, but also where that mattress is. That being said, floor beds are very common and yes in that case an equivalently firm mattress should be safe regardless of it’s overall size. We didn’t transition Latte until she was 2.5 and climbing out of her crib, but there’s lots of families that do floor beds from birth or nearly.

4 Likes

What we did was have her in her crib, and have a twin in her room with her- I could nurse on the bed and put her back in, and we could split up and have one of us stay in there if we wanted to. That bed later became her floor bed.

2 Likes

When are you planning to transition to their own room?

For our first he transitioned at 18 months, first on a crib mattress and then to a double mattress topper, but we would have felt safe with a low profile foam firm mattress too.

Our second has so far done
Bassinet/cosleep
Floor bed/cosleep
Pack n play/cosleep

I would not put them in their own room full time until the one year / Canadian guidance at least, and our current layout is not safe enough in the shared room for a floor bed

3 Likes

Yeah I was thinking that would probably be the case. Even if they decided they want to snuggle a toddler isn’t going to have any understanding or intuition about safe cosleeping! We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I really don’t know! I’d be tempted to say a year but I don’t know if we’ll run into any issues that necessitate earlier transition. If so “their room” is more likely to be a room for them and a parent so we’ll probably get an adult-sized bed to have in there anyway.

I can’t think of any way we could safely have our bedroom have a floor bed in it. Even though it’s large enough if we get rid of the huge underutilized dresser, as soon as the kid is mobile how do you avoid stepping on them if you’ve gotten out of bed to pee and they’ve decided to quietly roll or wander out of bed into a different part of the room?

I wonder if some of the Montessori bed frames address this in any way? I feel like the idea there is you still have the tight mattress fit, and then most of the way around there are rails or mesh-like stuff that a pack n play has but they are less high and once the kid is sufficiently mobile they can leave through the one part that doesn’t have those rails? I don’t know.

Our original plan was to just do a bassinet, then a pack n play with an adult bed in the room (whether that’s our room or for a while just having one of us in “their” room) and then move them to a floor bed when they would usually be moved to a toddler bed. Fortunately we have like, over a year before they even have to move out of a bassinet unless they are huge.

4 Likes

We have a 4 year age gap which makes a difference. Pumpkin slept in our room in her cot until she was over a year old, and then we moved her cot to Ducklings room, so she was 1 and he was 5. We recently removed the side of her cot for a toddler bed. The room is childproofed but she would rather call to us in the night than try to play and Duckling sleeps through like a log most nights, so this is very YMMV on the individual kids. Pack n plays didnt look very comfy and her cot was cheap from ikea and has lasted us 2 kids so far.

1 Like