Random Questions, Parenting Edition

is on Ikea website now

1 Like

I thought with the floor beds you can just move the mattress out so you have like 12-18 in clearance on all sides and I believe that addresses the wall entrapment problem? The only annoying thing about the rails that Montessori beds have is it is can be hard to roll out and away/fit in after baby falls asleep if it’s a small crib/twin mattress.

So essentially recreates a crib like situation and you can’t fit in there (well I can’t fit in a crib mattress at least) to make it convenient to lay with baby to sleep which was the whole draw of the floor bed for me. So we have a queen mattress on the floor I actually use and a crib mattress with rails that the baby acts like it’s lava if her back even brushes it

4 Likes

Yep we have the sniglar. Used $40 and intend to use it for kid 2. We liked it.

3 Likes

The cheap IKEA crib has, due to wood prices gotten much more expensive between 2019-2022. But still cheaper than a new pack and play.

I think that you have a lot of ideas and data and maybe just get a bassinet and chill for the next 6 months? When you get close to moving out of a bassinet then review your options, preference and current kid?

5 Likes

Yeah good plan. I just love to overthink.

4 Likes

Team cheap bassinet!

I also planned on an IKEA crib, but by the time the baby became a reality the one I wanted was gone and my friend offered her crib to borrow for free. I used it from 4 months to just over 2 years when she climbed out and fell, so even one that isn’t as cheap as IKEA/free will still likely be a longer term use than you get for some baby equipment.

Also, still get a pack and play if you plan to go to go anywhere other than your own house for nap/sleep. She still (almost 3 years) sleeps in one at a friend’s house because even though she can climb out, the “containment” is itself a sleep association.

4 Likes

Oooh yeah I didn’t think about the fact that sleeping in a non-contained space when on travel may be a definite non-option.

The pack and play is also one of those things (along with a small booster seat) that I’m planning to keep well past needing it because visiting people who had that stuff and not having to haul it was so great, I want to be that person for anyone bringing a baby/toddler to my house in the future. 100% worth the very small storage footprint.

5 Likes

@bracken_joy if you find good resources for controlling in play, I would appreciate it if you report back. Spouse usually just complies and I do more what you do.

1 Like

I have a friend that is likely to gift me a very lightly used pack n play anyway, so I might as well use it if it works for us!

I have a fancy new one with an included portable bassinet and changing table on my registry in case anyone wants to get us a “big” gift since we already have a travel system.

1 Like

This is also our dynamic. And I’m happy to comply if it’s just a bit, or reasonable. But if I’ve failed 7 times in a row and it’s no fun at all, why TF should I stay and suffer lol. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

FYI in my experience with these (got one for each set of grandparents) the bassinet part is much smaller than a standalone bassinet is—Ravi’s not a big kid but I don’t think he’ll fit in the bassinet the next time we’re at grandma’s. The standalone bassinet we use in our bedroom should be good til he’s at the 20lb limit (unless he decides to become an acrobatic roller or kicker) (weight limit varies).

1 Like

We have a tiny dictator too. We tend to indulge him because he’s at daycare most of the time and I know his teachers and friends won’t so :woman_shrugging:t2:.

4 Likes

If you have a “fancy” pack n play on your registry I’d recommend one of those that sit on the floor (like the guava I think?) because of the much higher weight limit.

We have a basic Graco pack n play that we bought new on Amazon for $50 (it often goes on sale), but we only really use it for travel.

For baby #2 I’m on the hunt for a used mini crib. My 3-year-old is still in his crib (with the toddler bed adapter). He likes being contained and was happy in his crib - we only transitioned because I couldn’t lift him over the rails anymore. We also have a twin sized bed for his room for a parent to sleep in. We’ve never been able to successfully co-sleep - nobody sleeps well in that configuration but sleeping in the same room has worked well for us.

For #2 I have a halo bassinet but in my prior experience that’ll only really work for a few months. I want to get a mini crib that sits in my 3-year-old room for naps (when he’s at daycare) and then will move into our room once baby grows out of the bassinet.

4 Likes

This is good to know because if they take after their dad they will start of very long and almost 11 lbs.

2 Likes

Waffles was never in a cot. He was in a bassinet and then floor bed. He also was an extremely poor sleeper as a small baby so to say he was really sleeping anywhere but on top of me is a bit of a stretch… he did have the odd stretch in his bed though.

We did not have concerns about Pikelet and him sharing a room. Pikelet was 3.5 when he was born though so a little older than a toddler. She has never been one to get out of bed in the morning or at night. She doesn’t come into our bed ever and she never hopped into the floor bed.

The challenge was more when Waffles started moving around and making sure that the little beads and things that were coming home from Kindy were not finding their way onto the bedroom floor.

4 Likes

I didn’t even research bassinets. I went to the big consignment sale and bought the one I liked best. When we were done with it I sold it in FB marketplace for as much as we paid.

4 Likes

I looked at them at a baby store and then told G the name of the cheapest one I liked and he got it on FB marketplace. If two SIL hadn’t had babies right after me, it could easily have sold for the same. Playpen was $40 at once upon a child. The cheapest Graco they had.

5 Likes

I happened across one at the consignment store and tossed it in the car. Let a friend use it for a few weeks after me and then sent it away on FB marketplace for $5 more than I paid for it.

I think it was a Delta? Idk, there are a couple of fancy ones, but other than that they’re basically interchangeable.

4 Likes

Kid #1 slept in a pack and play for the first 3+ years of life. She started in the top part, moved down into the bottom around 5 months (tiny kid, late roller), and then after she turned one I got a more comfy mattress to go over the hard bottom part. Kid #2 slept with me from day one. I was much less anxious, I’m a pretty light sleeper, and Dh slept in another room. We moved from that bed to a floor mattress together once she became mobile, and then she moved to her crib, and honestly I think she needed that earlier than I did it because she started sleeping really well after that.

My only advice is don’t spend too much money on any one solution before the baby gets here, because you will probably find that you pivot a few times before you find something that works for you.

6 Likes