Random Questions, Parenting Edition

They’re visually pretty indistinguishable from any glass top electric range. The internals just work differently. I have an electric convection oven (awesome) with my induction.

2 Likes

Same :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Something about how this convo went squicks me out a bit but i cant put my finger on it. Regardless, super appreciative of levelheaded voices.

Here’s recs and ungated (as far as i can tell) info below for those of us who can’t just go buy a new range. More information on the issue in URL.

It does seem like those of us who don’t own our own homes or who can’t immediately go buy a new range have some degree of greater risk, but honestly who knows how much?

Grateful that we are aware of it and can take steps.

9 Likes

If it guaranteed asthma, we would see MUCH higher rates. I have always lived with at least a gas stove and none of my siblings have asthma. But it’s useful to know especially for those at higher risk, how to manage and that if they can, getting some kind of electricity based stove may relieve symptoms. For those renting, keeping an eye on regulations & rebates is good as it will give them things to suggest to their landlords as things change. We also know living near high traffic areas are bad for air quality and thats not good for kids either - kids are still going to live near freeways and in the inner City.

7 Likes

I think the awkwardness was just that I’ve realized that this is my scene and it’s not the scene of most of the parents on here and so the difference is definitely being felt.

Ce la Vie i guess!

3 Likes

This feels a little unnecessary? Maybe I’m reading tone here incorrectly but it feels not great.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I heard an interview some years back, probably on NPR, that was basically electric stoves will be an ever increasing proportion of renewable powered, but gas will never be, so people need to stop putting them in. My success rate at convincing people of this IRL is .000, so if this gets new installs banned, it’s a win-win.

5 Likes

I’ve heard this called “locked in emissions” with cars. Ie, electric cars being charged from coal plants or natural gas plants is still preferable because they all pivot instantly to renewables when the grid does, while a gas car never will. Same idea! I hadn’t really considered applying the concept to stoves too.

2 Likes

My daughter decided that a four hour drive home from an out of state whirlwind trip was the time to engage in the “why”’game:

“We need to stop for gas.”
“Why?”
“Because the car needs gas to move.”
“Why?”
“Because it’s an internal combustion engine.”
“Why?”
“Because we don’t have an EV.”
“Why?”
“Because we can’t afford one.”
“Why?”
“Because mama teaches biology.”
“Why?”

Thankfully we got to the station and I promised her a treat before going existential on graduate school and bad life choices.

7 Likes

We get a lot of conversations around “why neighbors have stinky trucks” (she really doesn’t like the smell of diesel).

1 Like

Crazy talk, diesel smells amazing.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t blame her :joy: and we pass a gas station and cross a 6 lane road to get to the grocery store, so she gets a chance to ask loudly. Multiple times per week. Sometimes as we walk past people filling their stinky trucks :grimacing: luckily her speech is still pretty hard to understand for most other people…

1 Like

I think maybe tone is being read into it?

I noticed a difference in the circumstances of myself relevant to my peers and it felt weird? I actually thought it was a good way to make it personal to myself rather than extend it to the conversation at large since the conversation itself is actually fine.

Like we are talking about something that is very much only in the control of homeowners and the discussion went there pretty much immediately and there was definitely a feeling of like “oh well um if this is dire guess my kid is just gonna rough it.” The discrepancy is a direct product of different life circumstances and it felt weird to be on the out of that and not part of the discussion much but questioning about my kids health. Which is just life and being different. I’m not, like, blaming people for not seeing it.

I’m actually feeling pretty trepidatious that this is seen as confrontational :grimacing:

2 Likes

I guess the use of the phrases like squicking you out read as you finding the conversation unacceptable for this space. I read the division you were seeing as “you all are a culture of anxious hippies buying some fluoride BS” vibes, not “you’re all homeowners”.

1 Like

No, the squick was meant to suggest some personal discomfort. The follow up was meant to identify that it’s something personal to me based on my situation.

I don’t particularly consider people here hippies. It definitely can be othering when you’re exposed to greater risk compared to your peers as a result of socioeconomic realities. Which is as uncomfortable for me to say as it probably is to hear :sweat_smile:

I do see how it was unclear and can be more direct and careful in my language moving forward.

10 Likes

I mean, Meowkins did directly mention not being a homeowner!

It’s summer holidays and I remember so much free time as a kid and Did Not Realise that my adult summers with kids would be basically paddling like a ducks legs to make the whole damn thing look smooth. Related, I missed the deadline to order the school supply list online so we will be braving the office supply store. Wish me luck!

Does it get easier next summer? Plz?!

4 Likes

Something I think about a lot, because I have children who are having such extremely different childhoods, is that you cannot give anyone child everything. There are always trade-offs.

So interesting about the gas stoves. I texted my mother and asked that we used to have a gas stove before we moved to the house I remember, and she says we did. So I was exposed to a gas stove from birth through age 5. I developed asthma as an adult. No idea if there is a connection. I am one of three and the only one who ever had asthma, also the only one who ever had any seasonal or environmental allergies, and also the one who refused to eat solid food until I was like two and a half. N of 3 but seemed interested anecdata!

5 Likes

No, I see your point. But a great childhood, or even a good enough childhood is made of many many things and we can’t control most of them.

My kids grew up in some pretty shabby apartments in some pretty shabby neighborhoods and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I think that they are all better, more compassionate people for that experience.

I think that riding in a car is overall more hazardous than having a gas stove, but we’re not swearing that off are we?

I’m still chewing over a recent conversation that seemed to conclude that $100k/year is not a buttload of money, though.

And I think that your child is having a pretty great start in life!

8 Likes

:grimacing: I think I said that… but what I meant was it IS a buttload of money, but big expenses like daycare or a new dishwasher still feel good. We are crazy privileged!

(But also didability expenses and supporting some extra adults). But we have talked about it and those would continue even on a super reduced income

6 Likes

My therapist keeps trying to hammer this home and not sure it’s working LOL. But this is good bigger picture perspective and I really appreciate you saying it.

5 Likes