Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I will also say, as people who cook 3+ meals every single day at home, induction is BOMB. Way safer with kids and older adults too, not just the asthma thing.

4 Likes

I think it’s been a known risk for quite a while, this study just gave better numbers.

But I think natural gas is going to be phased out. A number of places have banned it for new builds.

3 Likes

I think new sales of gas stoves will be stopped OR the ventilation requirements will effectively stop sales unless you can afford an AGA or restaurant range.

If you have one I would get really conscientious about ventilation

2 Likes

Ahhh what a good resource. I loooove it when the demonized thing becomes actually not so scary.

2 Likes

i am reframing that it is amazing for the environment that we are gonna phase this shit out.

kids will be able to breathe AND we’ll have a post-climate world.

7 Likes

It’s scary. We bought a gas stove when we moved into our house and then a few months ago I heard about the asthma issues :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: But it’s one of those things, right? Like, should we really get rid of a brand new gas stove, just to buy a new induction one? It would be so expensive, especially to remove the gas line and install new electric for the induction stove (I think it’s a normal outlet back there?)

On the other hand, are we setting up our daughters to have life long breathing problems because we have a gas stove? That is really scary and makes me want to throw money at the problem.

We also have a gas furnace and hot water heater.

2 Likes

I have an induction cooktop sitting in my garage waiting for the electrician to run a new outlet in the kitchen so we can replace our stove…my goal is to get that done in the next 2 months.

In the meantime we make sure to run the fan when using gas (thankfully it vents outside and doesn’t just recirculate) and we have a cheap standalone induction cooktop for one-pot meals.

2 Likes

I read this a while back:

For us, at the time we decided to:

1. Replace gas with induction down the line, but that’s probably 10 years from now
  2. Run our range hood on high whenever we have the gas on
  3. Open kitchen windows when actively cooking
  4. Run air purifier in living room (where child mostly is)

Would I like to replace gas with induction right now? Yes - but it seems overwhelming at the moment to run new lines, etc. when we’re in the midst of bathroom renovations, especially since our kitchen is all of 3 years old.

All of this said, we just spent Sunday night at the ER for respiratory issues with my 3 year old so I’m starting to worry about everything again.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is mostly how we’ve been approaching it as well (except we don’t have kitchen windows because our condo is basically a row house)

For anyone interested, this is the standalone induction ‘burner’ that spouse chose after fairly extensive research. We have given up some counter space to have this sitting next to the gas stove.

https://www.amazon.com/Duxtop-8100MC-Portable-Induction-Countertop/dp/B0045QEPYM?

1 Like

From what I’ve been reading it’s mostly the stove that’s the big problem. The furnace and hot water vent outside, so they don’t contribute as much. But, we’re in the same boat. It feels wasteful both environmentally and financially to replace a new gas stove with a new induction stove. But also we have a family history of asthma already and I know I’ll torture myself if our kids get it. It sucks!

2 Likes

I thought I would miss a gas stove, but it turns out the electric (not induction) is nice enough, and I can tell a big difference in how sticky the kitchen (doesn’t) get.

We’ll replace the furnace eventually, when we can afford solar.

2 Likes

Bummer, that article is for subscribers only.

I’ll PM you

1 Like

This discussion has us worried about it again. Ry wants to just pull the trigger and buy a new stove, like this month. We were looking at new fridges and have decided not to change out our fridge, but now we might be buying a new stove instead. At least an induction stove is much cheaper than a fridge.

2 Likes

Unfortunately my understanding is that it’s also a problem when off.

Furnace and gas fireplaces aren’t a concern apparently since they fully vent outside.

2 Likes

Same here. I have cooked on a 1980s electric stove and hated how slow they are, but currently on a more recent electric (not induction) and it’s much faster. I think it might even be faster than our old gas stove.

When I get to choose from scratch again it will be induction, but in the interim regular electric is just fine and I would choose it again if budget necessitated.

Spore’s first 1.5 years were in a house with a gas stove. No signs of asthma yet thankfully. We used the vent hood when cooking and had windows open some portion of every day. More importantly, we had a very drafty house…

Huh. Well. I live in an apartment. Guess my kid is just gonna get asthma. I WISH YOUR LUNGS LUCK, MEOWLET.

For what it is worth, and perhaps very little, we had our apartment tested for air quality and the VOCs/gases in each room, including the kitchen, were stellar. Run the hood while cooking to reduce the worst of it and buy an air purifier, which we all need anyway because VOCs and fucking climate induced pollenocalpyse?

11 Likes

We are in a position where we will need a new cooktop at some point. Now I’m wondering about induction (I know, induction people rave), but I’m not a chef and I don’t want to get all new pots and pans (which is a dumb reason because they’re all cheapos anyway), and also because electric seems like it would be an easier install (because that’s what’s there now). Both of these seem like small insignificant details in the long run of choosing what to install forever though. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I think as long as you have an electric stove right now there shouldn’t be any issue with putting in an induction. The both use the same type of outlet.

4 Likes

Re stoves, we are hoping to get an induction one at some point but it doesn’t seem urgent… we have more urgent home repairs but I guess we should run the fan when the gas is on, and when that gets too annoying it will be the next most urgent thing! Do you have to get a separate range and oven with induction? I bake a lot and it doesn’t seem like it would make sense to get an induction range and keep the gas(?) oven.

And another, more lighthearted question: On Mom and Dad Are Fighting, the hosts complained about the length of the winter break from school. Apparently these two or three very different areas all have three-week breaks. Is that actually common?! When I was a little kid in Philly I swear it was a two-week break, then one-week when I was in high school. Our current school district has one week and one day, from right before Christmas to right after New Years.

3 Likes