Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I hear ya. (Waves from 1 block away from I-95 :upside_down_face:, a choice we’ve made for various reasons but question periodically…)

5 Likes

:joy: Yeah I hear you. Why did we do this fucking PhD again? I could have had a house with an induction range. Poor life choices.

This was a joke. For real all, sorry if I made anyone uncomfortable. Navigating difference in risk tolerance and financial stuff is delicate especially when you throw kids and parenting ethos into the mix!

A lot of respect and good will to all.

10 Likes

Ummmmm very different topic ahead!!

Does anyone use a photo sharing app? I don’t have social media, and I’m nervous about privacy.

6 Likes

I like Tiny Beans! Supposedly more private that FB? Able to keep a small circle of people who get baby pics :slight_smile: Can also export directly to photobooks but I haven’t done that yet.

2 Likes

We finally just opted for simplicity and made a shared Google photos folder :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

We have a google photos album! Reasons we chose it. It’s cross platform, so I can use it with my iPhone, and my husband can use it with his android, and it doesn’t matter what phones all our family members have. He and I can both contribute to the album. We can add as far as I know unlimited number of family and friends to the album. It’s really easy to go in and add photos. And Google has all my data anyway ha ha.

1 Like

Oh, and I also print a monthly Chatbook. I do that at the same time as I add photos to the family album, about once a week. I started doing it because Lotte loves to look at pictures of herself, but I didn’t want her getting in messing with my phone. so it’s nice to have her have access to photos, and I can put a photo in of every significant thing we did, or people we saw in a given month, and she loves to flip through it, and talk about places we’ve been. We’ve been doing it a little over a year now? So she was around 2 years old when we started.

2 Likes

Yep, this! :rofl:

2 Likes

One fewer company to lose all my data :laughing:

1 Like

I feel like “good enough” just doesn’t get enough credit in parenting spaces. Idk if this is an across the ages thing or an internet-age thing, but everyone wants to sell parents on some idea of “best”. And course they are perfectly happy to point out all your supposed failings from their version of ideal and then literally sell you their solution. It’s gross and crazy-making.

13 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::clap::clap::clap::clap::100::100::100:

2 Likes

Yes, and in my experience (almost 16 years in) is that even when you make the optimal choice, do the absolute best right thing, try so hard to give the good of something maybe you had the the not-good of yourself as a child, you end up finding out that the best has downsides, too. Ones you never knew of since you didn’t have it. Or they don’t know they had the best because they never knew any worse and then they think they want the option you considered worst. It’s maddening and impossible and yes for good enough!!!

13 Likes

This is brilliant insight. I can already see it starting. I don’t know how to combat myself feeling bad about it, but identifying it is probably the first step, so thanks.

5 Likes

A podcast I recently found does some digging into the “reparenting” stuff and coined the term “pendulum parenting” – where you go so so far in the opposite direction of what you feel you lacked as a child. I listen to these during chores so this one is still in progress but the conversation made me think of it!

8 Likes

This is the exact kind of podcast I’ve been looking for!! Thank youuu

1 Like

Dr. Becky is a boss. Her instagram is just the right amount of brief that I have time for in my life.

2 Likes

Babyproofing ideas? We have a potty in the middle of the living room. The toddler is on it a lot, so the baby has learned to crawl to it to eat it etc.

The toddler is still somewhat reluctant about the potty; so how do we get creative so that it is v accessible for toddler but not for baby?

Current solution is constant vigilance.

3 Likes

Baby fenced VIP zone?

Not a question but a FB post from someone who started their own school in Oakland that I thought might interest some of you.

Seems like a very intriguing endeavor. :blush:

2 Likes

Very interesting. I always like hearing about what people decide to include in their curriculums when they do these sorts of things.

Sometimes I think of myself as a hippie or making alternative choices then I read something from Berkeley and quickly rethink that I might actually be just totally mainstream normie :laughing:

4 Likes