Objects of Desire

Hahaha, I’m pretty sure I mentioned the car I wanted at one point. I bought it 16 months ago. :smiley: I’m glad your sparkly Doc Martens make you happy. I remember seeing them when you posted. Red glittery shoes can never be wrong!

I really want a big bathtub. A soaking tub? Just a big one I can relax comfortably in. But the house I live in doesn’t come with that so I guess I want a whole new house. Which would be OK, because I hate my kitchen.

5 Likes

I am looking forward to somehow squeezing into our (fairly reasonably sized bathroom) a tub that Ponder can soak in, a shower above it (because I LOVE showers spraying on me while I relax in the bath) and an extra toilet. And maybe an extra shower, for accessibility reasons if someone needs that when they visit. Also grout that doesn’t instantly grow mould? That would be nice. The eventual bathroom reno is probably going to cost more than I’m willing to pay.

6 Likes

As the daughter of an amputee, can I just say that it means a lot to me to hear people talk about accessibilty when they contemplate bathroom renos? Thank you. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Yeah @LadyDuck ditto! Most people don’t give it a thought and it’s so sweet that you do. FYI there are accessible tubs that have doors on them :slight_smile: if there isn’t room for both a bathtub and a shower.

3 Likes

This becomes an issue as people age, too. I think it’s really, really important, and too many people end up not able to stay in their home largely or in part because of the bathroom. We installed a walk-in shower with built-in seat when we built our house because we’re not getting any younger, and I think my parents are about to replace the tub/shower combo with one of them because my mother is having difficulty climbing over the edge.

5 Likes

Oh lord. I have many objects of desire. XD

• Soda Stream
  • Collapsible and lightweight camping stool so I can sit wherever and draw
  • At least (2) new dresses
  • The skills to modify and tailor clothing to fit me
  • More sparkly jewelry
  • A renovated bathroom
  • A cleaner every month for our house

I will obtain (2) of these for sure: the dresses (necessary as I’ve gained a bit of weight and am attending 4 weddings this year, probably the camping stool.
I have a $30 gift certificate for Amazon I’m hoping will help with the stool. :slight_smile:
The others are varying levels of “hahahah” to “ahahhahahahahahahha”

6 Likes

Shower chairs are like, the best kept secret in the adaptive community, lmao. If people knew how awesome it is to just chill on a chair in the shower…everyone would have them.

3 Likes

Yes, My parents have one of those from before my grandmother went into hospice, and I think my mother is using it all the time now because she can’t stand for long periods. But now the climbing over/stepping over the edge of the tub is becoming an issue, too, so I think the next step is about to happen.
My husband put a grab bar in next to our big soaking tub for me, and even though there’s not any particular reason I need it, it just makes things so much easier. Universal design, yo.

3 Likes

I want a real silk robe. I want to laze around the house in immense comfort.

4 Likes

It’s so much easier to shave your legs sitting down. I don’t even need mine anymore but I’m keeping it, lol, sometimes when I have a lot of pain I sit in it and let the shower hit me while I read a book. IN THE SHOWER. It’s awesome.

5 Likes

Is it… a waterproof book?
This is also how I know people don’t have glasses. XD

6 Likes

Haha, yeah I wear contacts :slight_smile: and no, the books just curl, lol. My books are well loved, but definitely not pristine.

2 Likes

I’m taking notes, @diapasoun , @AllHat and @rural ! I hadn’t even thought as far as people with disabilities. We already have grab bars in the (currently separate) shower and bath, because the previous owner was elderly and aged in place. My grandmothers are not very mobile and I was thinking along those lines, but I might have a look online to see what else people have come up with (like the seat in shower, and how big it should be to be useful).

3 Likes

You can buy after-market transfer benches, fyi, that you can move in a combo bathtub/curtained shower stall (that’s what my mom uses – they never had the money to reno their bathroom after her amputation). I plan to buy one for the next time my mom comes out for a visit.

If someone needs a walker/wheelchair, having the space to maneuver while using those is pretty clutch, too. That’s definitely the pain point for my parents’ bathroom.

1 Like

New Levi’s Jeans. In L30 W30 in the current type I’m wearing right now. The problem with that is, the leather label on the back has come apart and I don’t know the style! And for some reason the online shops here don’t seem to stock much L30 W30 (which fit me perfectly).

Oooh I found a product code on the tag- they’re 511s. Now to find a pair in W30 L30
https://www.levis.com.au/men/clothing/jeans/511_slim_fit_jeans/045111907.html
I don’t love the colour - I was hoping for a darker colour to make them a bit classier and suitable for night time outings. My “nice” jeans".

Also, boo to you Levi website for not letting me sort by size. Making me click a thousand times to see what is in stock and in my size.

I do like this colour:
https://www.levis.com.au/men/clothing/jeans/501_original_fit_jeans/005010193.html

But I dislike the idea of a button fly - don’t be bringing more buttons into this. And also not in my size.

Why so hard jeans?
I’d assumed knowing the brand, size and model would make replacing jeans easy?

2 Likes

I feel ya, dude. I had the exact same problem. I wanted low rise, short leg, bootcut, size 8. NOPE. Everything’s mid to high rise and skinny.

3 Likes

Oh no I want a lot of things now. A hiking dress with pockets, and a couple pairs of hiking shorts and pants, and climbing shoes, and a sun hat, and there was something else but I forgot so I guess that one wasn’t important. Entering REI made me want things.

3 Likes

I purchased the $100 backpack btw, in the brightest not pink colour choice.

Thanks PDM!

1 Like

I want this octopus!! https://society6.com/product/underwater-dream-vi_framed-print?sku=s6-8793495p21a12v65a13v58

2 Likes

That is rad!

1 Like