Objects of Desire

I’d like to buy a backpack. I could probably argue that it’s a need when I take Pikelet (toddler) on public transport so often.

But do I need an expensive brightly coloured backpack made from recycled drink bottles?

2 Likes

Treat yo self! Sounds like a fun and practical purchase.

Are you starting a new career?
#devilonshoulder :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Pretty much! I’m loving it. Everyone here is so damn sensible and hard working. You know what they need to do?
Treat themselves!

Does a fully funded retirement account count as an object of desire? (Or a proxy for my real object of desire, which is Extensive Free Time?)

5 Likes

Snort, I didn’t say anything at MMM but I actually did end up buying the red glitter Doc Martens that I posted about on the thread over there. $120! And they are glorious and make me really happy so THPPPPPPT to MMM. :wink:

Right now, I’d really like to replace our tatty old sheets, however, they must be solid dark purple and I’m having a hard time finding any.

I’d like to get a smallish cat enclosure that fits on our back porch - sort of like a kitty playpen? That zips shut and is covered in claw-proof screening. Our cats really like the fresh air but I absolutely do not trust them not to run off or leap off the porch and we are on the 2nd story so no.

I want to get new blueberry bushes that will actually make blueberries, because my bushes either didn’t flower or the flowers got knocked off in a storm.

I want a bush cherry like @CalBal has.

4 Likes

I got some solid dark purple ones from Target about two years ago – I think from the Threshold line? They may still have them.

I think that’s where we got these. But, now they have kitten damage. :frowning:

I didn’t see any last time I was at Target, and I’m actually boycotting them right now due to their very poor treatment of a friend of mine who worked there.

1 Like

Ooh, I thought I wanted a second cast iron Dutch oven (so I can bake two loaves of bread at once), but now I learn that I actually want a cast iron combo cooker. Not that we need more cast iron pans! But it’s not like we don’t need more cast iron pans…

On the same topic, I also want a razor blade for proper scoring, a dough whisk, and an oval banneton basket.

I also want shelves to display the mugs in our kitchen, replaced or patched screens in our windows, and a fireplace that is safe to have a wood fire in. These wants are mostly more about time than money.

I have solid dark purple sheets–bought on Amazon. Here’s what Amazon says I ordered: Amazon.com (Wow, the image is misleading! The ones we have are much more of an eggplant or plum color, whereas the sheets in the picture look more fuchsia.)

2 Likes

An ATC pilot. And possibly some heroin.

2 Likes

Haha, YES to all of these things! Want!

3 Likes

V I seem to be buying all the things I want. First was a new laptop (which may have been a need). Then, today, it was to sit on my ass and have someone else deliver groceries to me. Since I’m in grad school city, this is a possibility. Fortunately, I found a code online for free delivery from Walmart. I’m sick as a dog and I can just sit on my ass and wait for someone else to bring me a weeks’ worth of groceries.

Update: they did! It was a cute little girl with pink hair and much happiness, and she hugged me* before I realized and warned her off because of illness. I hope she doesn’t catch it.

*In a very “I just met a nice old lady” way, not a creepy way.

3 Likes

I want an email with an attachment I’ve been promised to arrive already.

I want to take advantage of the sale at Sweet Georgia Yarn to pick up a skein of Tough Love Sock in the Jasmine colourway so that I can make a tshirt. (I may go to the yarn store down the street to see if they have it and skip the sale in return for no shipping costs.) I have enough yarn at home to make at least 4 other tops.

I want the cool planter I saw at garden center yesterday which will need to be brought in every winter so it doesn’t crack.

3 Likes

I am lusting for:

• a wearable fitness tracker that will connect with Pokemon go because I forget to bring my phone everywhere and need to get credit for all these damn eggs that need hatching.
  • workout clothes. Everyone at my gym looks so much more put together than I do and it hurts my vain little heart. Bonus points if the workout clothes have nerdy things on them.
  • ice cream. There’s actually a gallon at home, but I am at work and I want it NOW.
5 Likes

Ugh, moving around after an intense workout this morning reminds me of two objects of desire:

• A sit-stand microadjustable desk that goes low enough for me (this is in the $700-1500 range new); this will help a lot with the mild back pain that I experience day-to-day
  • A session with a trainer to help get my weightlifting on track, and in particular to help me safely figure out my one-rep max (I’ve never done this, in part because I’ve never had a spotter and no effing way am I attempting a 1RM without a spotter).
2 Likes

Update: I had ice cream. It was as glorious as I had hoped.

3 Likes

Hot chips. Trying to decide whether to not have them at all, expend some energy to get them at lower cost, or expend zero energy to have them delivered to my house today.

5 Likes

Orange juice popsicle. Which I had in the freezer ready to go. I win!

3 Likes

I wish I’d got hot chips today. I had so many opportunities and I didn’t take any of them :slightly_frowning_face:

Chips delivered always seem to turn soggy for me though.

I really want an armchair at my work desk. Can someone arrange that, please?

Seriously considering spending this afternoon moving into the corner desk and then stealing a chair from a hallway or meeting room to turn into a psuedo-armchair…
EDIT: I was right, I had seen a suitable (non-wheely) chair in the hallway, tucked behind some shelves. It has now been pilfered and placed in my new hideaway…

3 Likes