Objects of Desire

As the weather gets cold here, my toastie needs increase. We ditched out sandwich press a few years ago as a part of our minimalist fight against single use items. I sometimes make them in a fry pan but it isn’t ideal.
Lately I’ve been thinking about jaffles a lot.
I need this:
https://www.target.com.au/p/sunbeam-big-fill-2-slice-toaster-gr625/60097156

Translation for the non-Aussies:

4 Likes

Oooh I get that one… But then I remember my waffle iron works just as well, that cheesy toasty sammies don’t taste better just because the bread is smooth…:hear_no_evil: Or dooooooo theyyyyyyyy

We had a cast iron pie iron for camping that you could put in the campfire – we’d make smores pies (bread + marshmallows + chocolate + a sprinkling of graham cracker crumbs). That was tasty.

3 Likes

Extension cord/surge protector. That was the other thing. I forgot because it’s boring and I wasn’t near the mess of power cords in my bedroom. But I should get one.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about building myself a new PC. I play a lot of video games, and my PC is starting to show its age. I’ve been saving cashback on my credit card to buy a few parts here and there over the past year - year and a half. Now I’m fighting the urge to drop the last $600 to finish building it.

I feel like a purchase so large needs a goal or milestone attached to it to justify, but I can’t come up with anything. Maybe for the best haha

4 Likes

Climbing frame for the backyard for Ewok.

4 Likes

Could be repurposed as a plant trellis after the kids are done with it?

2 Likes

Excellent point! Though I’d probably just make a friend or neighbour extremely happy by giving it away. The ones we’ve looked at before have been good for a range of ages which helps with it being worthwhile. I don’t think we could fit a swing so we have to be creative with yard toys.

2 Likes

Just finding this thread now and I love it! Bonus points for all the P&R gifs.

My objects of desire:

A cavalier puppy
Yarn to make this
Someone to professionally clean my house(mostly the floors and clean out the fridge)

I will get all of these things at some point except the last one. I don’t have it in me to actually find someone and then I’ll ruin it with feeling like I need to pre-clean before they come

3 Likes

I want that last more than anything but no one will be able to make it up my road, which requires four wheel drive.

I desired coloured ballpoint pens. But I have pencils! But pencils do not write as satisfactorily. But pencils are more eco friendly! But I want pens.

So I got the pens.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Are we still allowed to like Aziz? or was he #metoo?

1 Like

He’s definitely a creep, but the character he played in a show can still be funny. That’s my stance.

2 Likes

Oh, I have four wheel drive. It’s how I can go home. :slight_smile: What I want is a monthly house-cleaning service with four-wheel drive.

What kind of games do you play? What kind of system/parts do you have now?

Ryzen 3000 was just announced :wink:

I went 10 years between upgrades, except my video card was about 6 years old and my neighbor gave me his old one which is only 5 years old… Obviously I play less (and less demanding) video games.

What signs of age are there? Have you upgraded storage to solid state? That makes most computers feel modern (but obviously doesn’t make much difference to gaming.)

Potentially lucrative untapped market?

1 Like

I play a number of simulation games - Planet Coaster and Cities Skylines in particular. Also been playing Civ 6, and the Sims 4 lately. Looking to play the Witcher 3 at some point in the near future. All of these games are extremely CPU bound, and my CPU is starting to struggle with games like this.

Running an AMD FX8350 that I’ve overclocked to 4.3GHz to sorta bridge the gap until I get a new system. I have 12GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 6GB GTX 1060, which replaced my two GTX 560ti’s 2 years ago. A 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD rounds out the system.

I’ve been waiting for this release after I went 6 months past the release of the 2600X and hadn’t upgraded yet. The 3600X is what I plan to get. Unfortunately, it also requires I get a new motherboard as the socket has changed. So with that, I also have to get new RAM, as they all require DDR4 now. I’m also concerned about my power supply, I’ve had a few power issues over the last couple years and decided I should just get a better PSU while I’m upgrading.

So, carrying over the GPU and SSD is fine, but everything else adds up too!

1 Like

Ah gotcha. I forgot the FX was the first of the 8-cores! I still had a Phenom II 940 until spring. Got a 2700X and 32GB DDR. Utilized the local MicroCenter for an ASUS motherboard / CPU bundle discount. My PSU is a Corsair HX 620 from a long time ago, still super solid and reliable, so dodged that bullet.

It definitely adds up. And I went ahead and snagged a Samsung NVMe while I was at it, so that added about $110, plus I bought a new case as my old one was mATX only and I wanted to shed that limitation.

Remembered a huge object of desire for me last night, a Beatrice dress form. It’s a custom made dress form that uses an app to compile a body scan to make the form. I wants it. But it’s like $1500 at least, so it’s going to be a while.

3 Likes