Little Women Read-A-Long

NOW YOU HAVE TO LET ME KNOW

Is it canonical?

1 Like

I’ve never read the whole book before and I am suddenly more excited.

2 Likes

As much as I’m not a fan of parts of the book I really did enjoy part one a lot. It is KILLING ME that the wait for the audiobook that includes part 2 is eleven weeks. Maybe if I get a free trial of audible they’ll have it?

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

Do you have time on your hands for non-audio reading? If so, Project Gutenberg is your girl.

Aha! Then I know. :smiley:

I can’t tell if I ship it or not. Yes and no at the same time.

1 Like

Nah, I won’t make it through the book unless I can listen while I work

1 Like

I had to consult google to even know what you guys were saying. I feel old.

But I am enjoying the book. I wasn’t into it for the first two chapters but I’ve been enjoying it a lot more since then.

1 Like

Nah, you just probably aren’t steeped in the depths of fandom. Some of us are Very Nerdy in a very particular way.

What have you liked best so far?

So far it’s been watching the relationships develop. Beth and Mr. Laurence for example. And I enjoyed Meg’s visit to her fancy friend and the way her eyes were opend a bit.

I do have to wonder exactly what pickled limes are. @CalBal? If anyone would know here about if it is even possible to pickle a lime, it would be CalBal. Sour and salty? I didn’t think one could ferment citrus.

4 Likes

Maybe they are fermented limes? I know you can ferment citrus, some people in a fermentation group I am in do lemons, so I imagine limes are the same… Although pickling and fermentation are different, maybe in this case that’s what they are (sometimes the terms are used interchangeably even though they are not the same thing)? (I never have tried it though!)

1 Like

I don’t know if this is what they’re talking about, but when I make preserved lemons it’s just salt, spices, and smashed lemon quarters. So, functionally pickled, maybe? And so delicious

2 Likes

@CalBal I think of pickling as making pickles from cucumbers: cut 'em up, put a bunch of salt on them, and let them ferment. There are a couple of other steps like grape leaves and scraping off mold, but those are the main steps. Is there another way to pickle things?

@katscratch So what happens after the salt and spices? Are they dried? or ???

2 Likes

Nope I just smash them down in a jar - I keep them refrigerated.

I’ll see if I can find a recipe :slight_smile:

ETA here’s a simple one with just lemons and salt: https://toriavey.com/how-to/how-to-make-preserved-lemons/

I usually have one plain and one with spices like peppercorns, coriander, and cinnamon added.

Also I saw this when I Google searched recipes:

2 Likes

I think if the salt is high enough, they do not have to be refrigerated, because nothing can live in it. In fact, I think in fermentation circles it is well established that you have to keep the salt % within a certain number (maybe 2-5%? Don’t quote me on that) in order for fermentation activity to occur, and above that you will just get preserved fruit. But I would consult a reputable source for that (and I don’t think NCHFP discusses preserved citrus, so I am not sure where, but there is definitely a lot of… questionable… info on the internet, so due diligence and all that!) Refrigerator pickles (cucumbers or other veggies) though are just kept in the fridge and not fermented at all so the salt content doesn’t matter (though too salty would taste bad). I think @katscratch found the answer to the pickled vs preserved question though!!

3 Likes

I keep a lot of jarred food in the fridge that is shelf stable because I have lots of space in the fridge and very little in cupboards, and I have nooooo idea where I first learned the ratio of salt/lemon because it’s on a Post-It note :rofl:

2 Likes

They were usually jarred in a brine, possibly with spices. Not fermented tho.

1 Like

Nice. :joy: I have my recipe for gochujang sauce written on a piece of note paper on my fridge held up with a magnet. I lost it once and could not for the life of me figure out where I had gotten it from, because I couldn’t find it online anywhere (and like, I swear the other versions I tried were inferior). (Luckily I found the paper. Unfortunately I have not learned my lesson, and I do not have it saved anywhere else. :grimacing:)

1 Like

You know, earlier I was totally shipping Laurie and Jo. But I actually kind of like Jo and Bhaer? Like, I think Laurie and Jo are supportive of each other but not challenging to each other. Professor Bhaer seems to both complement and challenge Jo.

Idk.

2 Likes

I ship both of them, it’s a very difficult mindset.

Like, I think Jo and Bhaer really get and admire each other. That’s a good long-term relationship.

But Jo and Laurie have chemistry.

2 Likes