Little Women Read-A-Long

Just finished part 1, glad it told me thats what it was given that it doesn’t mention it on the title or anything.

I find them all to be pretty bratty at a lot of points (which I guess is realistic given their ages) but Jo’s attitude at the end toward her sister’s relationship gets under my skin. I feel like she is really weirdly possessive. In general I like the story more than I thought I would and am excited for part 2. Also excited for the movie but that is 100% because of the costuming and Emma Watson.

ETA: super annoyed that my library is not showing duration on the audiobooks and I have no way of knowing which are just part one and which are both and this is frustrating

2 Likes

It definitely feels possessive. Like, I know that someone marrying was different then – in that you really could lose your family in a different way, since women were thisclose to being straight up owned by their husbands and fathers, so… yeah. But it does feel a little like “can’t you? be happy for her??? she’s not going that far away???”

The costuming is fucking ON POINT in that movie.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s just odd. You don’t stop being sisters, you’re gaining a brother. And her parents are happy about it and all that and in general it’s a good thing so quit being so petulant.

1 Like

The way it’s portrayed it Gerwig’s movie makes waaaay more sense to me than how I read it in the book.

4 Likes

What is weirding me out about Meg’s relationship on this read is how Marmee is all “we hoped it wouldn’t happen so soon.” She is SEVENTEEN and you are already so sure she’s going to marry the FIRST guy who has shown real interest? But of course that’s probably how it was for that class at that time.

4 Likes

Yeah! It makes me wonder like – how often did people marry their first flirtation? 'Cause yikes.

2 Likes

I just imagine they came from my childhood church and everything makes sense :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And it’s sooooo obvious that they don’t even know each other very well yet.

1 Like

in the church/branch of christianity I was raised in, this was extremely common. In fact, almost every christian friend I had in college married their “first love”. There was no dating for fun, only with “the intent to marry”

2 Likes

My tablet wiped itself again. My copy of the book is gone and I can’t be arsed to get another copy. I’m no longer in this club.

3 Likes

Your tablet is trying to tell you that :lion: needs your attention more than some silly book.

3 Likes

I agree. Plus I didn’t like the book much.

3 Likes

In that case, tapping out is the correct life choice.

2 Likes

I got myself a copy that includes part 2. Is it just me or does the cover look like this is some period reality TV show, and Jo and meg are about to have a huge showdown while the other sisters watch?

8 Likes

Lord it does.

1 Like

“Tune in next week for the season finale of Little Women of New England to see Jo and Meg face off…”

…yes I’ve been watching too much Bravo, why do you ask?

5 Likes

The version I have is only part 1. I am only up to chapter 8 though :frowning:

1 Like

That’s in four days! You’ve done well.

1 Like

I finally got my copy from the library as they were putting up their “Closed for two weeks sign”!!! I’ve already read this book a couple times and seen two remakes of the movie so I’m not worried about any spoilers. :slight_smile:

The latest movie with Emma Watson is really good. I forget it I liked the Winona Rider one but I think I did. I may have to rewatch after this month.

3 Likes

I’m reading the wedding scene and you know, guys… it’s not popular, but I truly do ship it.

(I mean a pairing other than Meg/Brooke. I know most people already know the story but if anyone doesn’t, I am not spoiling you. Also this is fun :wink:)

4 Likes