June 2020 Book Club--The Vine Witch by Luanne G Smith

This will be the thread for the June book club. The title and top post will change once a book is decided on.

Please cast your vote(s) by May 15th. This will give everyone a couple of weeks to acquire the book.

• My Brilliant Friend-- Elena Ferrante
  • The Hate U Give-- Angie Thomas
  • The Vine Witch-- Luanne G Smith
  • The Hating Game-- Sally Thorne

0 voters

3 Likes

Hi
it says voting to close by 15th April, I think it should be May :slight_smile:

For once my library has all four books :partying_face:

1 Like

Oops! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Thank you!

1 Like

The Hate U Give was really good.

4 Likes

The Hate U Give is absolutely fantastic but I didnā€™t vote for it because Iā€™ve already read it!

4 Likes

Oh, hey! Itā€™s the 15th! I guess itā€™s The Vine Witch, then. Looking forward to it!

4 Likes

Dang, I shouldā€™ve checked my library before voting. It has The Vine Witch, but only a physical copy, and branches are closed indefinitely.

3 Likes

I own it on my Kindle. I wonder if there is a way to share it with you?

1 Like

Lending is not enabled :confused: itā€™s on Kindle Unlimited, though, so I guess I could do a free trial.

My library has a copy and I placed a hold but not sure when Iā€™ll actually be able to get it. I here MA will allow Libraries to do curbside pick up soon. I think itā€™s in phase 1 but a not this first week of phase one. I guess I coudl actually check with the library instead of rambling here though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need to figure out how to find a copy of this. Iā€™m considering buying a Kobo copy thru my local bookshop and then converting it to Kindleā€¦ I need to get Calibre re-squared on my ancient laptop, though.

2 Likes

I thought I had verified that my Libby had a copy but maybe that was a hard copy at the library. Right now Iā€™m trying to power through two other books before the end of the month, then Iā€™ll revisit getting Vine Witch.

2 Likes

I got a used Kindle from eBay, it was delivered today. I am so excited for ALL THE BOOKS!!! The Vine Witch is included in my Prime membership woohoo!!! Now I just need to charge this bad boy up and figure out how to use it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I need to get into this book! My library holds keep coming fast n furiousā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s always the way! Iā€™ll be waiting around with ā€œnothingā€ to read then all of a sudden all my holds come in at once.

1 Like

I got about 25% into this and bounced off it pretty hard. I hit one of my biggest bookish pet peevesā€“without spoilers, basically it went ā€œBad guy: ā€˜Iā€™m going to tell you what I want!ā€™ Then he told us what he wanted. We all reacted dramatically.ā€ Then the POV shifted and the reader did not get to find out what the bad guy wanted.

Some other things bugged me, but I really liked the way magic was portrayed, so I would have kept going if it wasnā€™t for that.

1 Like

Oh, bummer! I havenā€™t started it yet.

1 Like

I hope you like it more than I did!

1 Like

Iā€™m about to dig into this tonight. Iā€™ve read the very first bit and found some of the atmosphere really intriguing. I do worry I may have Clareā€™s trouble, though, re: some writing thatā€™s a little on the clunky side. Weā€™ll see!

1 Like

Iā€™ve become very lenient in my writing style tolerance after finally giving in to reading all the grocery store novels my mom sends me :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t read much of this yet (I miss my kindle! Reading on my phone puts me to sleep!) but Iā€™m enjoying the setting so far.

4 Likes