June 2020 Book Club--The Vine Witch by Luanne G Smith

This will be the thread for the June book club. The title and top post will change once a book is decided on.

Please cast your vote(s) by May 15th. This will give everyone a couple of weeks to acquire the book.

• My Brilliant Friend-- Elena Ferrante
  • The Hate U Give-- Angie Thomas
  • The Vine Witch-- Luanne G Smith
  • The Hating Game-- Sally Thorne

0 voters

3 Likes

Hi
it says voting to close by 15th April, I think it should be May :slight_smile:

For once my library has all four books :partying_face:

1 Like

Oops! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Thank you!

1 Like

The Hate U Give was really good.

4 Likes

The Hate U Give is absolutely fantastic but I didn’t vote for it because I’ve already read it!

4 Likes

Oh, hey! It’s the 15th! I guess it’s The Vine Witch, then. Looking forward to it!

4 Likes

Dang, I should’ve checked my library before voting. It has The Vine Witch, but only a physical copy, and branches are closed indefinitely.

3 Likes

I own it on my Kindle. I wonder if there is a way to share it with you?

1 Like

Lending is not enabled :confused: it’s on Kindle Unlimited, though, so I guess I could do a free trial.

My library has a copy and I placed a hold but not sure when I’ll actually be able to get it. I here MA will allow Libraries to do curbside pick up soon. I think it’s in phase 1 but a not this first week of phase one. I guess I coudl actually check with the library instead of rambling here though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need to figure out how to find a copy of this. I’m considering buying a Kobo copy thru my local bookshop and then converting it to Kindle… I need to get Calibre re-squared on my ancient laptop, though.

2 Likes

I thought I had verified that my Libby had a copy but maybe that was a hard copy at the library. Right now I’m trying to power through two other books before the end of the month, then I’ll revisit getting Vine Witch.

2 Likes

I got a used Kindle from eBay, it was delivered today. I am so excited for ALL THE BOOKS!!! The Vine Witch is included in my Prime membership woohoo!!! Now I just need to charge this bad boy up and figure out how to use it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I need to get into this book! My library holds keep coming fast n furious…

3 Likes

That’s always the way! I’ll be waiting around with “nothing” to read then all of a sudden all my holds come in at once.

1 Like

I got about 25% into this and bounced off it pretty hard. I hit one of my biggest bookish pet peeves–without spoilers, basically it went “Bad guy: ‘I’m going to tell you what I want!’ Then he told us what he wanted. We all reacted dramatically.” Then the POV shifted and the reader did not get to find out what the bad guy wanted.

Some other things bugged me, but I really liked the way magic was portrayed, so I would have kept going if it wasn’t for that.

1 Like

Oh, bummer! I haven’t started it yet.

1 Like

I hope you like it more than I did!

1 Like

I’m about to dig into this tonight. I’ve read the very first bit and found some of the atmosphere really intriguing. I do worry I may have Clare’s trouble, though, re: some writing that’s a little on the clunky side. We’ll see!

1 Like

I’ve become very lenient in my writing style tolerance after finally giving in to reading all the grocery store novels my mom sends me :slight_smile:

I haven’t read much of this yet (I miss my kindle! Reading on my phone puts me to sleep!) but I’m enjoying the setting so far.

4 Likes