Introduce Yourself Here

You must have read this Soap

2 Likes

That was an interesting read. Thank you for the link!

I had a vague recollection that it was a “naughty” show from when I was young. Ironic, then, that I always saw the reruns at my grandmother’s house.

My wife and I are currently in the process of watching the whole series from start to finish on Youtube. We both love the show.

In curiosity, I had looked at the Wikipedia page for Soap, which is where I heard it was the most controversial network show of all time.

1 Like

I’m a full-fledged member now, and now I can see the edit button. Typos beware!

Thanks for the explanation (again)!

EDIT: Just because I can now.

18 Likes

Greetings everyone!

I feel like I’m pretty smart, but I’m not good with money, so just trying hard to learn more about how to make it, and then how to keep it, invest it, etc etc.

At the moment I’m actually searching for a tool where I can setup recurring payments to a friend? Like recurring electronic bill pay, but directly to another person, fee-free?

Someone told me Zelle has that option, but when I signed up, there was no option like this.

Anyways, good to meet everyone here!

13 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome. I bet you know and understand more about money than you think you do.

I don’t know of any tool, but maybe that function exists at your bank?

3 Likes

Welcome! Perhaps PayPal or Venmo have those options?

1 Like

Welcome! i am able to do with with billpay at my bank. It doesn’t work in zelle that I have found, but I have Other people set up as accounts in bill pay (after they confirm test deposits) and have recurring transactions sent to them without fees. I do this at USAA bank

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! It’s a friendly group around here.

When it comes to investing, I like the following saying:

“Pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered.”

Don’t be a hog. :wink:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Random Questions

Hey! I’m here and happy to be here!

Yes my introduction is a long one, but that’s because I don’t know how often I will post around here, and I spend most of my time documenting my progress and finding on my social media Youtube and Twitter

I’m a Canadian in my 30s, single black-female, on a baby steps journey to financial peace and independence living with a chronic permanent disability 20+ years working self-employed as a cam model and I have multiple income streams that add to my work from home career.

I found oh my dollar because I actively follow people in the personal finance universe.

I’m pursuing financial independence to transition off the Ontario Disability Support Program, while searching for a compatible health insurance and a supplemental health insurance plan to cover my disability related expenses. It’s easier on paper then it is in reality.

I hate that my family never set me up with proper health insurance when I was in my 20s. They assumed an employer would cover me. 2017 I got hit with the reality that I had nothing saved for retirement and the disability social assistance program has been brainwashing me to think I’m not allowed to save money.

So I’ve been changing my financial narrative ever since. I had a phone call with my financial planner the other day and even he is impressed with my transformation. I met me when I had nothing but debt and was in a very stuck place mentally and financially. I stayed in contacted and as I changed my finances it got me prepared to have the first real meeting of talking about my investments.

It’s been emotionally hard to do and very isolating and some days it’s extremely lonely. I’m walking the path of I will be too rich for disability, and not many who are accessing disability benefits understand this is REAL and it’s happen.
my net worth just hit $60,000 from 2017 to present date. What magic is this :joy:

I got started with Dave Ramsey 7 baby steps and I’ve added Money Guy Financial Order of Operations (FOO) and because I’m Canadian I’ve altered Dave Ramsey’s advice to fit with the Canadian financial system and disability benefits.

Then to make sure I stay accountable and stick with the plan I document my progress and emotions on my youtube channel.

My net worth went from negative stress and worry to $60,000 and growing with a sense of calm and FU government legislative policy in under 3 or 5 years.

August 2020 I’ve paid off $8,000 in 9 months, with the support of filing a Canadian consumer proposal, my student loan from 2005 is GONE! and Capital one has giving me a credit card for the 5th time I will do good with my credit this time, I’m hoping with this crazy market I have a chance of buying my first home, learn to drive and buy my first car.

My student loan will not grow back as long as I find another way to fund my post secondary education. Canadian Bankruptcy DOES include student loans many people don’t know or they follow America ideas in Canada and I swear that means they cut off options.

I’ve consider taking two diploma programs (finance and accounting), I might add on a business diploma and a computer system technician diploma because of the complex disability legislation rule I found if I’m attending full-time post secondary all my income and assets will be exempt and it won’t affect my eligibility to continue getting disability income support and health benefits.

Easier on paper then it is in reality, as long as the legislation keeps that rule it’s my chance of reaching financial independence and transition off disability supports with more money in my accounts then digging deeper into poverty.

This is my financial independence journey. :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :joy:

24 Likes

helllooooo good to see you!!

1 Like

Hello and welcome! You’re kicking butt so far, great work!

1 Like

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you’re making some great changes.

I’m also disabled and trying to figure out what “work” looks like for my future. I’m in the US though so our systems are pretty different! We have a couple of other disabled Canadians around here who can probably commiserate about government nonsense.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! It’s very exciting to hear about your progress and how you’re really taking control of your financial life! Congratulations! Feel free to start a journal; that’s what most people do around here. If nothing else you can post links to your youtube channel (I assume that’s allowed.)

3 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

I will look into using the journey.

I hear there might be other disabled Canadians around here so that’s motivating to know.

and any of the US and disabled can see how mess up both governments are with disabled citizens.

10 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Kate! I’m new here and don’t know how much I’ll end up using the forums, because I never have been a very active forum-user, but I’ll try.

I have the OH My Dollar! book and like it, but I’m not good at budgeting. I thought I might try the October budget challenge thing this year. I’m in a tricky place right now because while I’m doing fine on my own, over the summer I’ve been helping support a friend going through a really rough time. Things got to a crisis point last week and I’m relieved I was able to get her into an extended stay hotel for a few weeks, moved most of her stuff into a storage locker, and now we’re trying to find her a new place to live. She works from home but doesn’t make much, and the housing market (as everyone knows) is just awful right now, so I may end up paying for her hotel into October. It’s a scary time for both of us, but once we get her settled in a new, safe home, I think she’ll be able to get back on her feet quickly. I’ll need to work out a budget so I can pay down the credit card debt I’ve run up over the summer, and put money back in savings.

So anyway, that’s where I am. I’m definitely all in for October, my favorite month!

25 Likes

Welcome! I’m sorry things are so hard for your friend right now. :frowning:

2 Likes