Random Questions

I have a plant that lives in my shower and so often have dirt in my shower drain trap.
Does your dirt stay in the pots?

7 Likes

Great! In my experience, you’ll need more than one application of the neem oil. Keep on it so they don’t come back. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, I will! CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

3 Likes

If buying firsthand, where do you look for dressers/chests for hobby type storage?

I am organizing my hobby room & need some drawers with deep storage (dolls out of UV light mainly) & some more shallow storage (art & sewing supplies).

I’ve found I prefer case goods with doors/pulls vs the various plastic solutions on the market (or cube shelves with bins), and my cats will jump in, on, and around said furniture so sturdiness is essential.

Definitely not ruling out secondhand but if I can’t find what I need on FB Marketplace or the local antique malls/refurbished furniture places, I will probably have to get new.

5 Likes

I would go to the ReStore, which is packed with solid wooden dressers. I rarely buy new. I have an IKEA dresser that I bought because it’s red, but if I put much in it the bottom of the drawers gets saggy. So it only holds yarn.

4 Likes

Hello all, I wanted to create a new post about this, but didn’t see any option to create a new thread, so just wanted to ask here:

Does Union Bank require income verification to open a credit card with them?

My credit score is good (780), and I have cards open with all the major banks (Chase, US Bank, Capital One, BofA, etc), but no cards with Union Bank.

I’m between jobs at the moment, so I have no income. Will that be a deal breaker to get this card?

(I’m assuming they’ll ask me to prove my income at the branch? Not sure).

I have to apply in person at the branch for the Platinum card, which I want to get for their $0 balance transfer fee for 6 months, and also 0% intro APR for 15 months.

Would help me a lot at the moment to move my debt around before I can get back on my feet with income.

1 Like

Usually any issuer will want to see proof of gross income. If you don’t have pay stubs, you’ll need to show something recent like last year’s tax return.

Sometimes they will only ask you to declare income without proof, but don’t lie on the application. Only state actual income you have otherwise you’ll be in a pickle if they find out.

1 Like

I bought a pound block of yeast that is now expired. It has not been opened and has been frozen since I got it, will it still be good? It has a 2 year “best by” window on it. It came in a 2 pack from sams club and I never did start baking bread regularly. :rofl:

4 Likes

You can test it. Throw a couple spoonfuls in a bowl of warm water with a pinch of sugar and see how it does.

4 Likes

It’s probably fine. Maybe use more than the recipe says/ rise for longer but if it proofs than it’s good!

Ikea has some solid wood models that are pretty decent. Just make sure you actually anchor things to the wall.

But yeah, most of my storage is secondhand. We find a lot of used dressers around goodwill and the ReStore here. And craigslist. The hardest part is transporting them!

3 Likes

I wanted to blast out a group Thank You to all you kind people here! A few months ago I asked about baby stepping to more natural cleaning products. I mentioned how my husband was highly suspect of them and would still want something that looked like a traditional store product. He liked them so much he has now moved to almost 100% homemade, vinegar-based. We have one store-bought antibacterial but that’s it!!! This is HUGE because he was alllll about the most standard smelly chloroxy stuff. So thank you!!!
I know @ElleP and @katscratch (that vet stuff was like his gateway product) helped but I think others did too. TY!

15 Likes

Can you repost the products you liked?

Awesome victory!!

3 Likes

Sure! So these were the first things we bought:

I think there was one other thing but I can’t find it. THEN we swapped our swiffer with disposable pads for this, which works way better anyway:

And now we use homemade vinegar based cleaners for almost everything and this for the stuff that needs it, like bathrooms and dirty cat messes, etc:

9 Likes

How effective is the Aunt Fannie’s glass spray?

2 Likes

Good but our homemade is better/just as good! It’s just a basic vinegary type spray.

1 Like

Cool, thanks!

1 Like

Suggestions for how to spend a 10 hour layover at Charles de Gaulle (9 am - 7 pm)? We have been to Paris before so don’t feel a need to see any of the big sights but would love to get out of the airport and get a nice lunch/walk around somewhere nice

Not sure about stuff around the airport, but CDG has a free movie kiosks in one of the terminals where you can get an individual tv and watch movies. They also have a hotel where you can rent rooms in several hour blocks if you want to relax privately or shower. The Espace Musee has rotating exhibits from the major museumals in Paris and is another lovely time killer.

You are looking at a solid hour each way from the airport into central Paris, and you’ll have to go through security…etc again so make sure to factor that into any plans.

Depending on timing, I would probably store my luggage at the airport and then maybe do one of the Seine cruises for some outdoorish, but not exhausting experiences. Or wander around Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, taking the train from the airport to the Gate du Nord which is beautiful in its own right.

Oh! You could also visit Saint Denis, the cathedral there is the first Gothic style cathedral and was the basis for a TON of later gothic cathedrals. I hear cute things about the area as well, but have never been myself.

2 Likes

Do churches have times they’re generally open aside from when services are happening? I want to drop off flyers about an upcoming free event (and also let them know we need volunteers for said event) but obviously when they’re getting ready for services they’re going to be busy. Like if I try to hit a bunch of places on a Saturday afternoon driving around town are my odds good that there will be someone there?

4 Likes