I Will Teach You to Be Rich: Podcast Gossip and Discussion

A thousand percent, lol.

5 Likes

I’m really triggered by the couple with the stay at home dad. I’m my job there are sometimes people I deal with who are divorced and bitter. They say things to me like “oh you’re having a baby and are happily married, just wait until you’re divorced and your life sucks”. Cool cool, thanks for the great advice!

Why is this relevant- all of these (mostly men) people complain about how their ex spouse stole everything from them and their business and are good for nothing blood sucking folks. I’m over here thinking “WITHOUT YOUR STAY AT HOME SPOUSE TO RAISE YOUR CHILDREN THERE IS NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE THIS SUCCESSFUL CAREER!” It really bothers me when the money maker discounts the work of the other spouse to keep the house and family functional. Maybe I’m salty and all of these folks would have a wonderful family AND career without the stay at home parent. Some people do make it work, I guess.

In episode 3 I liked that Ramit separated them to discuss individually because they were clearly both defensive and stuck in their same conversation.

Mr. Ninja said tonight “is this like your podcast but in movie form?” Yes, MrN. Yes it is.

I have the most hope for Monique and Donnell

12 Likes

A lot of the time the ex who “stole” everything also has custody of the children at a minimum during the week and it still raising the children and still facilitating the other partner to be free of parental responsibilities during the work week so they can focus on their career :upside_down_face:

15 Likes

You’re totally right because they love to complain about how much money they send to their horrible exspouse every month in the form of child support. Or alimony so the spouse can get a new career. How dare they gasp pay for helping raise their kids that they chose to have. Often the divorce is because the career spouse cheated, Salt in the wound. Why do people like to share so much over a business dinner…??? Idk yet here we are.

It makes me so sad. And I got very similar vibes from this couple. I hope they can get to a better spot in communicating about finances.

11 Likes

“Well if I had your attitude that would probably be true!”

I know you’re a professional and can’t actually say that, but wouldn’t it be fun? Like, just once?

“It sounds like the judge really understood what your spouse had been through living with you all those years!”

I know, I know. Not professional :wink:

15 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Maybe when I don’t care about my professionalism anymore :joy::joy:

I have been known to throw in a “how does it feel to want?” when people ask for unreasonable things so I’m on the way to being that bold :joy:

15 Likes

You’ll get there, i believe in you.

7 Likes

I really liked the series! It gets better as it goes along. It’s much better than the podcast in terms of casting and editing. I wish they were a bit more specific in the follow-ups because some of the people made odd decisions. I’d watch a second season tho!

9 Likes

Dear Netflix, please have Tan France style Ramit, and film it. It would be awesome.

9 Likes

I’m on episode 2 and enjoying this so much more than I expected to.

Look up Sophina Dejesus on YouTube - she’s awesome. I think her condo is awesome too - for purely sentimental reasons I hope she keeps it.

Okay - her HOA seems to really suck so maybe she should cut her losses…

4 Likes

I keep checking and the recap was never finished!

Super interesting is that the podcast couple this week seems to be on their way to a similar dynamic, but the female partner does not want it to go that way

4 Likes

Ok I only watched the first two but I’ve never heard Ramit’s podcast (only AH’s salty recaps ha!) and I agree he’s mostly likeable here so far. That first couple is - wow. I totally agree that they shouldn’t be together, they seem really miserable. I’m surprised they didn’t cut their story altogether - I hope it gets better, but I’m guessing it doesn’t.

I get that Ramit is trying to show all walks of life but I think Nathalie is a really terrible casting choice. She’s uber rich and spoiled and all her income is child support and alimony, and almost no one tuning into a money Netflix show can relate. I guess from a financial voyeur perspective it has a bit of interest for some, but mostly I thought that storyline was boring.

I like Sophina and I hope she keeps the condo too, although I didn’t see the HOA stuff yet - Ramit is definitely biased about housing and that part is probably good for them to cover once or twice but I hope he doesn’t harp on it constantly. For a lot of people, a house is a good move or even a necessary one. Renting can be very insecure. It’s so individually dependent.

ETA: And I loved Monique and Darnell. I really hope her woodworking business hits it out of the park. I liked that the whole thing was his idea but she got on board and then wasn’t afraid to call him out for half-assing it and spending a bunch of money. They are SUCH a (good) 17 years married couple lol.

9 Likes

Oh, and I think the ‘Ramit on the street’ segment is incredibly awkward and bizarre. They could have done that a lot of different ways that would have made sense and…it just doesn’t. I have a lot of secondhand embarrassment for those clips.

5 Likes

I think the point of casting Nathalie was to show that anyone at any income level can live paycheck to paycheck and fritter away what they have. I feel like most people believe their only problem is that they don’t make enough money. I’ve heard that from broke people many times and I think it’s a huge part of poverty mindset. So I think hearing that she is paycheck to paycheck while getting $25k a month would be shocking to people not in the pf space. Also the shock value. NGL her food looked pretty good tho, lol.

My other reactions of each person/couple- filled with spoilers

The first couple was really hard to watch. That lady is a classic abusive spouse and doesn’t even realize it. The guy looked so broken. It’s only a matter of time before something explodes there- an affair, someone just ditching, etc. I thought it was so telling that when they each finally agreed to “guilt free spending” he robotically said he would spend all of his on savings and she said she would spend hers on fun. I think he’s not allowed to actually spend his on whatever he wants. And the guy clearly doesn’t want “a stranger raising his kids” which is how he put it. He wants to be home with them! :frowning: So sad. They can totally afford it, too, but she obviously looks down on that kind of work in general and sees no value in it. The only reason he wants to work is because he wants to be respected but no way in hell she will respect his $70k income when she makes $250k.

I’m surprised Sophina kept the condo! I definitely thought she should sell it. It looked really poorly made to me and she seems so fun loving and like she would have a lot of fun spending elsewhere. But that’s just me! She was awesome overall and I loved her style, especially that striped dress/set. I think she’ll do well either way because she’s so disciplined and open to learning. She just seemed very young for her age but she has a lot of support and opportunity. I admire how much she upped her income!

Monique and Darnell make me nervous! IDK if they will actually change because they seemed pretty resistant. She really didn’t want to return that handbag and he wouldn’t agree to getting rid of all the junk in the storage, just downsizing. I bet they will upsize again soon as he gathers more stuff. The shopping was pretty out of control too and I feel like they didn’t address the childhood stuff happening with that.

I’m optimistic about Drew! I feel like he was really ready to change and had a lot of motivation. He was very humble too, and open to direction. I think he’ll end up getting better and better jobs and I think his husband will help him a lot along the way in terms of emotional support.

Millie and Christian are the cutest/best!!! I think they will end up being wealthy. She took the feedback on MLM stuff like a champ even though I’m sure it was horribly embarrassing. She has the chops to make it in a legitimate field and I think they’ll both be really successful. Christian’s relationship with his mom was so touching. They both seem like such good people <3 I’m rooting for them!

Frank worries me. I don’t think he’s kicked his addiction at all and I was shocked he decided to quit his job! On the upside it seems like in his field you can freelance (for lack of a better term) and make a high hourly rate. But the dopamine thing didn’t seem addressed at all, or the morality aspect of being ok with borrowing money and not paying it back. I feel for him because he seemed like a sweet guy but if I had to bet I would bet he will be in debt.

Sara and Reginald were cute! I really respected how he responded to being called out by Sara. You could tell he was shocked to find that she felt he was controlling and a dream smasher, and I believe he’ll work really hard to change that. I think she’ll become a lot more financially stable too because he really gets the nuts and bolts part, and I think she’ll help them have more fun. A great combo! They just needed some small nudges.

13 Likes

Perfect summary! Per usual :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I think you’re right, but I also think he could have hit this point with a less childish rich person or couple. Or at least he should have stressed that that was the point. Even as a person in the personal finance world, my gut reaction was, “I wouldn’t have those problems if I had that money.” It doesn’t really make sense why she wants a business at all - it’s probably for self-fulfillment but they didn’t really go there, or at least they haven’t yet. They didn’t make her relatable I think is the issue. Even if her money problems weren’t relatable, they could have selected a person that was.

5 Likes

I did not watch the show yet but I think some people are probably chosen just for the entertainment factor!

3 Likes

I agree with you! Plus it gave them an excuse to shoot on Rodeo and show her insane “fashion” decisions, etc. I nearly died when she said she loved fashion because she’s Parisian, lol, while covered in designer logo tat.

2 Likes

Just listened to this earlier today and you’re so right! I’m eager to hear part 2.

4 Likes

I finished the Netflix series today! Very nice story arcs showing at least a little bit of growth for everyone. I really want to see a follow-up one year later :slight_smile:

5 Likes