I Will Teach You to Be Rich: Podcast Gossip and Discussion

That is a wayyyy better metaphor!

7 Likes

Their use of it was bugging me so badly. Pushing the diet metaphor so, so hard, and so wrong. I am gonna admit I didnt even finish reading because they weren’t giving me anything to read worth my time, and I have been there with the unnecessary stressing over money instead of aligning with my values.

Plus everyone here has already given some excellent commentary and food for thought.

8 Likes

While reading this the tiktok “oh no” song started playing in my head

4 Likes

Is it possible HealthyRich is the anti-MMM?

2 Likes

It does read that way.

1 Like

Oh I hate that. Before I was budgeting I was hyper-conscious of EVERY dollar I was spending, and without numbers I would feel guilty or uncertain. “Spend as much as you want on whatever you want” would just be “I should spend $0 on furniture because I can do with what I have and there might be… something else that needs it more.” The “something else” would be vague, and I might hold out until cracking under money stress and making an impulse purchase that I didn’t want as much for a worse price than if I sat down and budgeted for it. I have money problems! Most spending feels bad!

I’m so pro-“put a number to it. If the number doesn’t work, adjust the number” because that takes brain feelings and estimations out of it which can be so off the mark. How-- how is that a bad thing??

7 Likes

Something about that paragraph just screams that “America has no poor people, just temporarily embarrassed rich people” phrase SO loudly

8 Likes

Ok, I just listened to today’s episode and I had a few thoughts. These are probably not in order, just what is popping into my head while writing.

1. Ramit is so damn conceited. I almost turned it off a few times. I’m apparently not in the mood for him today
  2. He actually got super angry when talking about mortgages. Like, the angriest I’ve ever heard him
  3. The whole episode when this couple talked about how they live paycheck to paycheck and are eating away at their savings I assumed they made very little income. Like, their “emergency savings” is $300 and they are eating away at Eric’s savings account that has $20k in it, at a rate of $2k per month, which sounds like the only savings they have period. Then at the end he drops the bombshell that they make $160k per year!! Maybe they mentioned that at the beginning and I missed it because of multitasking, but holy shit.
  4. These people sound like they have absolutely no idea how the real world works or how to manage money, and I’m guessing their parents are to blame considering they gifted them the down payment for the condo that they can’t afford. Except at their salary they should TOTALLY be able to afford it. They just need to stop wasting so much of their money.
6 Likes

What about this one for a new listening experience?? I really love that it’s hosted by a couple.

About the hosts:

In 2012, we had our first conversation and argument about money. Luckily, we recovered from it and somehow gained the courage to tackle some really difficult conversations about money with our friends, family and each other. Over the next five years we paid off $200,000 in debt, dramatically boosted our net worth and learned a lifetime of lessons along the way.

We started rich & REGULAR in 2017 after our stint in real estate investing led us to discover the F.I.R.E movement. At that point, we’d listened to our friends complain about doing everything right, and still not really “feeling” happy with the financial progress they’d made. Our blog became a place where we not only shared in their frustrations, but offered solutions to a richer and happier life. We could not have imagined that just a few years later, we would sign a book deal with the world’s largest publisher, Penguin Random House. But that’s not all. Our blog has afforded us opportunities to work with incredible brands, world-class media and into the fast-paced world of digital entrepreneurship.

Today, rich & REGULAR has grown into a community of like-minded people and because of them, our mission became clear; to inspire better conversations about money.

4 Likes

Downside: I am not seeing full episode transcripts :sob:

2 Likes

I also listened today. My thoughts:

• I wish Ramit would just calm down, stop ranting, and teach all these things he thinks he knows.

• He really seems opposed to home ownership. The whole time I just kept thinking, do you understand the idea of Generational Wealth Building at all? I suppose in some cases, owning a home might be a bad idea, but it’s hard to talk with any sort of nuance while you are ranting. I would have much preferred a calmer discussion on his points, and acknowledgement of why home ownership has been recommended for so long. It may not be the right choice for these two but I don’t think that means it’s bad for everyone.

• By the way, Ramit rents.

• He really took her to task for buying a course about money and was very against the main tool it suggested, which sounds suspiciously like his Conscious Spending plan.

• He’s really opposed to tracking spending, becoming aware of how much you are spending on things like lattes and eating out, etc. He says those little things don’t add up. I don’t agree, and I think the experiences of so many of the people who follow MMM don’t support what he is saying either. I remember when I did YNAB for a month, and I identified a bunch of places where I could cut costs, and in my mind, they did add up. Those things were not enriching my life and can be put towards things more important to me.

• Their rent was $2300, the mortgage is $2600/mo. That doesn’t include fees which add another $1500 per month. Ramit’s point is with maintenance, the condo is costing $2000 per month more than renting. FWIW, they are not saving anything for maintenance and have not had maintenance costs yet. Just using her $1500 in fees number, that’s $4100 per month or $49,200 per year.

• Ramit’s guideline (isn’t this a general guideline?) is that housing cost should be 28% or less than gross income. They are at 30.8% and that includes zero maintenance costs.

• Also, they are in Canada. I understand taxes are higher there so it’s not clear to me that 28% is the right number to use.

• The biggest shocker was that their fixed expenses are 88% of take-home pay. A $722 car loan per month was also mentioned ($8664).

• Per Google, take home pay in Canada is typically 75% of gross, or $120K for them.

• $49,200 + $8664 = $57,864

• 88% of 120K = $105,600

• So there’s $47,736 in fixed costs we haven’t even started to account for yet (almost $4K per month). I admit I’m kinda curious where that’s going.

Tune in next week to hear Ramit try to convince them to sell their condo.
(ETA I corrected a math error I found. Gotta get back to packing - any more errors are going to have to wait).

9 Likes

BINGOOOO

5 Likes

You are all tempting me to listen for a harmless rage outlet. FINE I’LL DO IT.

Live thoughts but not a full react unless I decide to do it but IDK if I really want to or not bc I miss doing them sometimes but also maybe we are choosing a new podcast but also we can't seem to quit Ramit. Sponsored by pain meds.

Ramit’s hawking set it and forget it finances again. Much like a dump and go slow cooker meal you can low heat braise yourself into wealth. Pretty sure I’m nailing it.

Eric and Elana, both 25 years old, dating two years. Love music festivals and think Ramit will tell them to stop which seems unlikely since according to him spending has no correlation to how much money you have. He’s talking about how everyone thinks you should own a house.

Ramit says they are spending more than they make every month. Eric realized they had an issue when he had to pull out from stocks to cover credit card bills. Elana realized they had a problem when they get raises but are still living “paycheck to paycheck”. Ramit wants to know about the festivals. She asks if he’s been to one and he says, “Do I look like I’ve been to a music festival?” Kitty’s got claws today.

This year Elana says they’re going to like 3 concerts, all different cities and states. HOLY SHIT tickets are $300-$500 for fucking concerts?! You can just get high and have sex at home folks, trust. JFC in the last year they spent close to $12k. They also go to local events which are like $250 a night. Hot dogs and relish! Ramit says he won’t tell them to stop it. Of course not, lol.

Ramit asks Elana what she thinks the $ prob is. She says that they aren’t saving, paycheck to paycheck spiel.

Ramit needs to staaaahp with the talking to the audience cut aways. They’re so bad. They were bad in the beginning and they are getting worse, lol. He loves to state stuff that he thinks will make the listener go “OMG THAT IS WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!” but it’s like…I wasn’t thinking that. At all, lol, a lot of people weren’t thinking that because humans are diverse.

Money psychology by Ramit. Eric wants to propose but he’s not saving money AND in a way he’s nervous to take out that money to take that next life step. Elana says they want to have kids and they want to buy more properties and a property in Miami specifically. 2-3 kids, pay for all the kids college, etc. Ramit says this is what he calls “Trying to be 40 before you’re 40,” hahaha, spoken like a true New Yorker. When we got married in our mid-late twenties (in NYC) we got so many comments about being too young, lol, like as if we were 18 or something.

Elana says she hates stress so she tries to keep calm about the money stuff. But she does stress about it. Ramit says she ignores money to delay stress. Eric says he was raised to never speak about money. HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED: benjamins. Elana says she looks at banking apps a lot, Ramit asks why, she doesn’t know. To make sure they aren’t losing any money she says. Ramit will undoubtedly HATE THIS, lol. Ramit asks what that’s costing her. She says a little anxiety daily. He asks what she gets out of it. She says she imagines a sense of control, but IRL she has no control, which is why she’s checking it so much. Ramit says she’s perceptive, but it’s one thing to be perceptive and another to know how to change. Eric says his stress manifests through avoidance.

Ramit asks if they are looking for a wake up call. Elana says no, they’re looking for guidance. They’ve tried budgeting, having max spends for categories, multiple times, and it doesn’t work bc that’s not how their minds work. She says she wants something from his perspective. He asks when the last time was they read a book on money. Eric says never, she says never but she did two online courses. And it was like a money influencer or something IDK because I’m 400 years young. The core of the plan wasn’t a budget, it was about looking through past transactions and asking yourself what was worth it, what was regrettable, do values align, adjust as needed, etc. WOW, that DOES sound like Ramit’s plan, hahaha. JRA is right on the money. Elana says it wasn’t sustainable because there were no numbers or limits attached to anything.

OMG. Y’all. Y’ALL. Ramit says, “it sounds like a life coach lost their job and then in one weekend decided to write a course and charge you for their advice.” Ramit said that. You know Ramit? Our good old friend who has never worked as a counselor but believes he has the skills to psychoanalyze people after a five minute conversation? The guy with catchphrases who focuses on feelings and emotions and not numbers? And who hard sells his online courses in things like entrepreneurship and “success”. Yeah, HE thinks this other person sounds like a life coach. Ramit, broseph, brotholomew, brangelina: you are a life coach.

Ramit rant incoming. Ah, it’s arrived. He wants us to think about the psychology of her doing all this dumb stuff. He has a concept called MONEY LENSES. :laughing: I can’t. i just, lord have mercy. According to him most people only have a single money lens: cost. Ramit, knower of mankind is certain of this. He says Elana used cost to make that decision, just because it was cheap! Even though she said it was because it’s an influencer she likes and wanted to support. But to be fair to Ramit it’s really hard to listen when you’re constantly interrupting someone, lol.

He asks if they care about their money and they both say, “yeah?” They’re making more every year but they’re not executing anything. Eric said even with this podcast he filled out the form but felt like he was throwing a hail mary. Prob got some good distance if his rosary was heavy enough. Just a little joke for my Catholic audience. Hope y’all aren’t incensed. :wink:

Ramit says he’s not here to fix their problems. He says he doesn’t think they take it seriously or that they even have a problem. He points out that when Eric reached out he said he wanted advice for someone “doing well but who wants to do better” but in meatspace they’re spending more than they make every month. He says they’re not doing well. Part of RICH LIFE is honesty. They aren’t being honest. They’re losing about $1,000 a month. He asks Eric how long until they run out of money. Two years is the answer. They are constantly dipping into savings.

Ramit says it must be tough to watch savings deplete every month. Eric says it feels like a repeated failure. Ramit asks Elana if she wonders how Eric is feeling, she says yes. He points out quite aggressively that Eric is going into HIS savings every month, HIS, and how does HE feel? That’s what his emphasis is like, lol. I’m predicting SKIN IN THE GAME. She’s asking about how he feels contributing more. Eric says he doesn’t mind contributing more. Doesn’t mind paying for stuff, but he feels like he’s contributing to a bad addiction. He wants to contribute to kewl stuff. Elana said she feels like they only talk about finances loosely. She says she takes out a line of credit every month (like $100) so she can imagine, but it’s good to hear him say.

Ramit is talking at us. He bets that in our relationships one person is the leader with money. He wants us to do the old 90s era body switch comedy and switch roles. This will be eye opening, he says. He also wants us to tell him how right he is. I mean how it goes.

Eric has $25k in savings. Ramit asks what happens in two years when that’s gone. BAHAHAHA. Eric, oh man. Eric. He says the festivals will have to go and the gym membership will have to be downgraded to a cheaper one. Like…you could do that nowwwww whyyyyyyyyyy. These two are like kids, lol, I wonder what they imagine parenting will be like. And owning multiple properties?! IDK man. Maybe like, saving up for an inflatable kayak would be a more realistic goal.

Ramit’s like, that’s not going to save you. If you run out of money cutting down on festivals won’t change things. He says they both look uncomfortable. Elana says maybe the discomfort is good bc they are getting real. Ramit says they thought they were doing well. Elana agrees. She says there are people who are homeless and it’s not that bad. Lmao. Ramit says she thought they needed advanced guidance when really they are baby beginners. He says now they get the reality of their situation.

They make $160k combined, Eric makes $100k, she makes $60k. Ramit asks what it would take to hit savings and investment goals. Eric says reducing expenses. He says they know what to do and even have a savings account called emergency fund! They have $345 in it, which Elana says is pretty good. I’m guessing these two never played sports, lol, or studied classical ballet with a teacher who smoked inside with the windows closed while shouting loudly and threatening violence at 8 year olds. I will always love you, Tamara.

Ramit says they use tiny successes to make themselves feel better off than they are, and that comparing themselves to homeless people is offensive. He says they are avoiding the real problem. These dummies though he’d tell them to cut back on festivals, but that won’t work. Ramit, like a swashbuckler on the seas of money, is going to steer them in the right direction.

The first year they were together they rented. It was covid so not much to do, says Eric. Between them things were great and they were savings. Ramit asks why they decided to buy a condo. Eric says his best friend’s parent’s are real estate agents and they are big proponents of purchasing a place. LOL, no kidding they literally sell real estate for a living. Ramit interrupts to say to us: NO NO NO NO. Eric continues that he agreed with them, still does, he thinks. They basically were talking and decided the time could be now, could be a great opportunity, thought it would be a forced way to save money. I don’t follow?

Elana says there were a few factors, like living in HCOL area: Toronto. The 25 year old homeowner then explains that it’s nearly impossible for young people to buy there. She’s explaining how after getting pre-approved for a loan they had 90 days to purchase a place otherwise they’d have to reapply for a pre-approval and the rate would be higher. I have no idea if that’s true. Our maple syrup guardians to the North will have to weigh in. ASSEMBLE MIGHTY MAPLE LEAVES, we doth quake in the wake of your hockey stick wielding masses, and bow down to kiss the boots of your french speaking countrymen, as ye spit upon our heads for not having public healthcare.

They had a down payment from their parents. They fell in love with the condo, right price, didn’t want to keep paying someone else’s mortgage. They didn’t think about taxes or maintenance fees. They’re paying like $3500 a month on the home and were paying like $2k in rent. Ramit asks how much more expensive it is than they thought it would be. She says $1500 - $2000 a month.

Ramit’s like, let’s recap. They were renting, making good money, saving good money, then decided to buy because a house is good for savings, realtors are telling me to buy, and don’t want to pay rent. He’s just repeating it all back to them now so they feel extra dumb.

Eric says he wants to be clear and honest on downpayment. The couple put in $1,000, and both sets of parents combined put in $55,000. I wonder why he wanted to make that so clear. I respect it but it’s odd. Ramit asks if it concerned them that they couldn’t have afforded it themselves. Eric says, “nope, not at the moment”. Ramit laughs, he loves the honesty.

Ramit says it takes years to build equity, he’s talking at us. He says we can check by looking at an amortization table on a mortgage calculator. Ramit, avid Twitter poster, tells us not to even bother asking some TikTok financial expert what amortization means, because they’ve never even heard that word. THINGS WOMEN LIKE ARE INHERENTLY DUMB AND INFERIOR. Just say that, Ramit, it would save us all so much time. He’s explaining the numbers on a $500k mortgage, 5.5% interest. Breaking down principle and interest, explaining when you start paying more towards mortgage vs interest. He says we are brainwashed about buying property and don’t run calculations. I’m not brainwashed I just fucking love my Nike Decades.

Ramit asks how they will pay for repairs when they are needed. Eric says savings. Ramit says “ok” in a resigned way with a big sigh. Ramit asks Elana when the last time they ate out was. Yesterday, she says. He tells her not to look guilty and asks what kind of restaurant. All you can eat sushi, she says. You go girl. She says it was one of the best she’s had. Ramit loves it. He asks how much it cost, $60 after tip. Ramit asks if she felt bad for paying the sushi owner’s mortgage. She goes, “WOAH…WOW,” girlfriend just had a realization. Eric has his hand over his mouth and his eyes are like saucers. She said she never thought about that. She’s like, yeah why would I feel guilty about renting if I don’t about that?! Eric says now he’s thinking about the gym he goes to, and they’re paying $200 a month towards that mortgage. I actually think this is one of the most successful and insightful thought experiments Ramit has ever put his guests through.

Ramit says he thinks the whole “don’t pay someone else’s mortgage” thing is designed to make you feel resentful, angry, and indignant. Like why should I pay for her to get rich, I’ll just buy my own! But Ramit says that logic is stupid because we don’t apply it to anything other than where we live. He says the phrase has been engineered so you feel resentful about rent and then you buy a house with all its transaction fees. The people who profit are the same ones who spread that phrase. He says even our “nimby” (I think that’s what he said?) parents encourage us to buy like they did so demand goes up and their house value goes up and then they can turn into nimbys (?) and restrict supply. If he tells us there are secrets to a treasure hunt hidden in the declaration of independence I wouldn’t even blink at this point. WTF is a nimby? It sounds like a 1920s pejorative for a gay person, lol. Ramit says that’s for another conversation. When we pay rent we are just trading money for services, that’s it.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and hypothesize that it’s possible Ramit’s family and perhaps also his inlaws have been less than impressed with the fact that he doesn’t own his own home. Hell hath no fury like a man who doesn’t receive constant praise for literally every decision he makes. Back to Righteous Anger Ramit.

Ramit says the two of them have been BAMBOOZLED. He wants to know who told them they were failing at life by renting. Real estate agents, both of their parents, Eric’s bff, other friends who recently purchased. Ramit asks if there were any signs around Toronto. Elana says they lived in a place downtown and there were signs everywhere about “purchase now, low 500s, etc.” she says it gets to you. Ramit asks what the implication is, she says they think they can afford it. Ramit says the implication is that if you rent you’re a loser. He saw a billboard at JFK that said “Bosses don’t rent” and he posted it to Instagram to explain to people why it’s propaganda. It’s an invisible cultural script. He’s a multi millionaire boss and he DOES rent, he says. Ramit says these two’s financial problems aren’t caused by all you can eat sushi.

Ramit is asking how they can get the equity out of their home. He asks how much they’ll have to pay in taxes and fees when they sell. She says when they purchased they had to pay $18k in fees. When they sell it’s 25%, then says actually she doesn’t know how much it is, laughs and admits they prob shouldn’t have bought. Then Ramit tells us, “this is why I ALWAYS tell you to run the numbers!” Sir. SIR. You do not always say that. In fact you spend most of your show saying the exact opposite of that. The condo was their rich life dream and they just followed it. And you don’t think they should run numbers on what they spend on different things.

Side note, but the thing that drives me most bananas about his whole “a cup of coffee doesn’t make a difference” is that it’s so intellectually shady. Like yes, technically just the concerts aren’t the issue and just the sushi isn’t the issue, and just the $200 gym membership isn’t the issue. But they told us they spend $12k a year on concerts, $2,400 on gym, and if they eat out even twice a week that’s $5,760. Let’s also say they both buy coffee every work day, since he’s specifically said that doesn’t matter. Let’s pretend they spend a total of $5 a day combined on that, or $1,200 a year. Is he honestly saying that $21,360 in spending, per year, doesn’t matter? But simultaneously that overspending by just $12,000 a year does matter? MAKE IT MAKE CENTS.

Ramit says we must know the numbers about the biggest purchase in our life. We are all dumb and think we can replicate what our grandparents did. He says probably our grandma didn’t even make that much off selling her house because her depression era ass doesn’t even factor in all she spent on the house over the years! Take that memaw, you’ve been butt slammed by an angry radio host on the internet. GO BACK TO YOUR KNITTING.

After shouting really angrily at us for several seconds Ramit interrupts his own podcast for a message from Ramit, with swelling music in the background. And I kid you the fuck not he says, “I want to take a quick second to tell you something. I want you to talk about money with your partner and smile! Not argue over how much brunch costs!” SMILE.

tumblr_lscyaaTO9T1qmha4qo3_400-1928225046

Ramit wants to know how they feel about the condo now. Eric says a little embarrassed bc he’s been following Ramit for a while and knows his stance on home ownership. And he looked up stuff like is it better to own a home or rent online, etc. And he said he looked at those and ignored them in the moment and figured his situation was ok and they could live their rich life by owning a condo first and then build wealth after. Ramit is like, “and what IS my advice about owning vs renting?” Eric says to rent and Ramit says that’s not his advice. Eric rephrases, buy if you really want to and have the money to make it less than 55% of your post tax. Ramit says that’s closer but his advice is to run the numbers, calculate all the costs, etc.

Eric says they ran the number incorrectly. Ramit asks how. He says they sat down at the laptop and put some number in excel. Well I’m glad we cleared that up, lol. Ramit asks if when they sat down to do the numbers they were trying to prove to each other that they could. Good question! Eric immediately says yes. Ramit says that’s not running the numbers that’s using Excel to tell you what you want it to tell you. My excel tells me it’s not made for things like lists of recipes I want to make BUT I WILL NEVER LISTEN. I am the alpha! Formatting be damned.

Ramit says housing costs shouldn’t be more than 28% of gross, and total plus total debt should be lower than 36%. Ramit has a template. Just give him all the blood from one side of your body. But you get to pick the side! RICH LIFE SYSTEM.

Ramit says that when Elana talked to Ramit’s colleague for the pre-interview she spent a lot of time talking about festivals and how much she loves festivals. They sound like a den of sweat, dirt, and patchouli to me…but to each their own. Ramit is saying again that sushi and festivals aren’t the problem. Playing small and focusing on the wrong thing. He says they could cut back on 50% of festivals and stop going out to eat and it wouldn’t change their finances. I think Ramit is so black and white in his own thinking that he can’t describe degrees of things because he can’t see them. Like the condo is their biggest financial strain. I agree. But their other spending (they also have a car payment) is also a problem if they eventually want to buy a house and have kids. Their lack of a plan is also a problem, etc.

Ramit says none of this matters because even if he tells them to stop going to festivals and eating sushi they won’t do it. This logic of, “most people fail at this therefore do not even attempt it bc it’s impossible” makes me want to exorcist style crab walk around my apartment while shouting incantations about bitcoin because both actions make equal sense.

Ramit says making one big change (condo) is easier than lots of small changes. Do we realistically think they would cut down on coffee or get a cheaper car? OF COURSE NOT!

Ramit is talking to them and is like, so you thought this condo would help you save money, what happened? Elana goes, “we’re getting fucked” and it takes both me and Ramit so off guard we both laugh in unison, lock eyes, and for an instant remember we are connected by the immutable tie of the human experience, which transcends even things as deadly serious as our slightly different takes on achieving financial independence. It’s so good to be alive!

Elana realizes they have to make a change, either cut down on budget things or something. She said they didn’t think they were in the spot where they had to actually change things. She says they need to be adults. Ramit wants to know what is causing her to still focus on tiny things like gym memberships. Eric says he is wondering if they have to sell the condo.

Wait, I just realized another inconsistency. When they were doing what Ramit approved of, which is renting, and their finances were oh so great supposedly. They still couldn’t save a downpayment. Hahaha, why on earth was that? Why couldn’t they cobble together even like $10k when expenses were so much lower? Because they are spenders and have no impulse control or planning skills, but like, for some reason Ramit doesn’t think that’s a thing.

Elana says she doesn’t think they’re going to sell the condo. She says they both went into this call being like “we support this condo decision, this was the right choice for us” girl you’re going into debt $1k a month…you don’t know how to evaluate choices about money, lol. She says though they realized some things she doesn’t think selling the condo is the answer. I think she must love the condo or something? Eric is like listen to Ramit, cutting back won’t work. He’d rather take the shorter term harsh pain (parents, friends, etc.) but get out of trouble faster. Ohhh so it’s a face saving thing maybe? She says she’s speechless because they were so confident about it. It was a huge step they took together.

I’m super curious, like if they were to sell would they refund their parents? Because they are the ones who put all the “equity” in?

Elana says she loves their place and it’s hard to hear, and they did so much for it. Bahahaha! You didn’t do anything, lol. What’s that show where they’re mocking rich kids and the guy is like, “asking my father for money is the bravest thing I’ve ever done.” Anyway it’s that.

She’s afraid they won’t be able to purchase in 3-5 years, and that the condo has already gone up $100k, which IDK if she even knows that. Ramit is like, Elana you can’t afford this condo. Ramit is like, “you guys did this together, you built this together.” WHAT? They didn’t build anything, haha, what are we even talking about here?

Ramit says the condo represents almost a religious belief about success, but he’s only telling us this, not them. What will they do? Tune in for part 2 to find out.

ETA: yeah it’s a full live react bc today is haaaaard and I need distraction so I’m sorry/you’re welcome

Done.

20 Likes

You are a goddess of language.

6 Likes

Wut?!?!!???!?

3 Likes

Ah sorry, the meaning was that she’s saying “some people are homeless so OUR situation isn’t that bad because we are not homeless”. Not like, being homeless is totes chill.

3 Likes

I read everyone talking about how they are spending 120k/year and it seemed crazy. But drugs actually add up fast. So does travel. And festival tickets

9 Likes

Real estate comments are true buuutttt they probably bought just before the covidy condo crash. Or hopefully in condo crash v one

3 Likes

Ah hahahaha. Not “if we ran out of money and were homeless it doesn’t seem all that bad” :joy:

NIMBY: NIMBY (Not in My Backyard) | The Homeless Hub.

3 Likes

It pains me to say this but he is not wrong! My aunt is a big NIMBY, and goes to meetings to complain about new houses and apartments being built in her Bay Area suburban neighborhood. She also complains about the younger generation of the family moving away and the fact that her primary care doctors keep moving away. Probably unrelated.

10 Likes