Grocery Hauls and Pantry Snooping

Maybe I should try freezing on a sheet with the spread out. After frozen, spread them apart. Then put all the loose beans in a gallon zip lock which I re-use like 3 times. Is there some sort of glass/plastic (combo?) container I can freeze and it will last forever? Not interested in something which will crack or break after usign a couple years.

2 Likes

The glass/plastic containers will survive better if they are left for the lid to defrost slightly instead of being immediately deformed (required for opening) after coming out of the freezer.

I keep cooked beans in 1 cup plastic containers in the freezer as they last better for me than the baggies, but also we find that the appropriate serving multiple, and we arenā€™t trying to optimize the space. Flat packed bags are more efficient in that way.

I do rewash & reuse the sandwich baggies (currently holding hot peppers, ginger, and garlic cloves), but they certainly donā€™t have the longevity of the freezer-friendly bags.

6 Likes

I havenā€™t found anything but would also be interested. Iā€™ve tried glass but itā€™s too heavy for me when full, and you have to be careful about cracking, plus it takes up so much room. Iā€™ve tried reusable plastic containers too but they eventually crack as well. For now I still use freezer gallon ziplock bags, stacked, in my freezer. I also use a food saver but thatā€™s plastic too.

If someone could invent a good replacement for freezer gallon bags and saran wrap Iā€™d be totally on board! Iā€™ve eliminated most other single use items in my kitchen but those two are where Iā€™m stumped.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard really good things about stasher bags for freezers but havenā€™t tried them myself.

3 Likes

Stasher bags are awesome and sturdy, but I find them kinda hard to open (and I donā€™t have any finger/hand dexterity, grip, or joint issues).
Iā€™ve had mine for several years and theyā€™ve held up very well to occasional use, donā€™t know how they hold up to intense use

7 Likes

I tried a few of those reusable ziplocks (a couple different brands) and my issues were:

1. They were so hard to open and close that I couldnā€™t even do it myself. Maybe not a problem for able people, but even dh agreed they were kind of intense, but also he might have been trying to make me feel better, lol. So idk, but that disqualified them for me.

Also tho:

1. They absorbed strong food smells even after being washed really well. This could also be because of the types of food I make (heavily spiced) so ymmv on that too.
5 Likes

OMG OMG OMG!! I did not see this when I was writing my comment, hahahaha. You just made me whole day, lol.

7 Likes

THis has been my hang up, along with price. I have had issues with silicone ice cube trays and stuff in the past esp holding soap tastes.

6 Likes

Glad itā€™s not just me! I found even things like tomato sauce left a really strong smell. And I know theyā€™re still ā€œcleanā€ but it just icks me out because I feel like itā€™s going to transfer that smell into the next batch of food.

5 Likes

Yep, Iā€™ve only had soap taste transfer (weirdly my reusable muffin liners are invincible, I can go from carnitas egg cups to fruit muffins no problem) but it makes me very hesitant to expand my silicone food stuffs collection. I had to color code my IP rings.

6 Likes

Brand? Iā€™m in need of muffin liners rn.

4 Likes

Mama CupsĀ® Silicone Baking Cups -ā€¦ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VMY940K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I bought these in 2016 apparently so hopefully theyā€™re the same now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I promise not to hold you personally responsible. Iā€™m very generous!

ETA: Are these the type you can use on a normal baking sheet or do you have to use them with a muffin tin?

4 Likes

I got a bunch of silicone breast milk storage bags and then have been using them as baby human food bags (still strong tastes but less salt and pepper). If I can smell anything after the wash I boil them and it goes away. They are also easier to open than the big silicone bag I have. But they were on Gā€™s amazon (repurchasing more after getting some at a baby place) so I may not be able to get the link. Because they are small they donā€™t work for big meals obviously.

I freeze in a combo of the silicone bags, takeout containers and glass+silicone/plastic lids. I have replaced pyrex lids before, but currently I am in a dropping phase of life

4 Likes

Iā€™m from Ontario where milk comes in bags, and we wash and reuse the inner bags for food storage (and use the outer bags for garbage cans).

We use the whole milk bag in this house :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I generally use them with the muffin pan, although Iā€™ve definitely used them for like ā€œfat bombsā€ (truffles basically) on a sheet pan, and they seemed fine BUT they were only like 1/3 full. These are softer and thinner than the Amazon branded ones we got next and I didnā€™t like as much, but those definitely would be rigid enough to use solo- I donā€™t like their feeling though so I donā€™t use them much, havenā€™t noticed smell issues with them either but theyā€™re tier 2.

1 Like

Same, I also use Glad Cling Wrap. I can preserve cut veggies for a long time using it ā€“ by tightly wrapping themā€¦ almost like a vacuum bag. I also use it to portion ground beef, ground pork, sliced pork loin, pork chops etcā€¦ Then I stick the plastic wrapped meat in a gallon zip lock. I use the gallon zip lock about 3 times before throwing away because they stay frozen the entire time and no juice or anything leaks from the plastic wrapped meats.

2 Likes

Oh nice sale on chicken leg quarters at my local discount grocer. 55 cents per pound. These are prices Iā€™ve seen like 10 years ago :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What a good find! I havenā€™t ever seen chicken that cheap!

2 Likes

Yeah me neither. There are no worthwhile flyers or sales at any of the grocery stores here in Oklahoma. In Texas it was a lot different ā€“ much more competitive and could always get good deals on meats.

But then after reading The Tightwad Gazette, Amy said to check every store in town no matter what. So I checked it out and was amazed. The deals reminded me of Texas. And so now every week I see incredible meat deals. They email me the ad each week as well.

Go figure, this discount grocer is at the same intersection as the Walmart Iā€™ve shopped at for years. All that time driving by it ignoring itā€¦ Iā€™ve probably lost $7500 or more over the past 10 years by doing so ā€“ guesstimate.

EDIT: Oh btw, my Citi Custom Cash credit card works at this discount grocer unlike Walmart. I get 5% cash back at this discount grocer because itā€™s an actual grocery store. At Walmart I have to use a different credit card that only gets me 1.5% cash back. So not only do I get a lot better prices on meats compared to Walmart, Sams & Aldi, I also get the full 5% cash back :slight_smile:

6 Likes