Grocery Hauls and Pantry Snooping

$5 flashfood haul picked up after $47 food basics run.

(1L olive oil, tahini, 2x 3 tins of tuna, 4 lbs onions, 4 x 400g blocks of cheddar)

10 Likes

WOWWWW if those avocados are goodā€¦itā€™s like 3/$5 rn where I live lol

7 Likes

yeah, I jumped on this box because of the chance at good avocados. 2 of the pears are probably sad, but again, for $5, I am not complaining.

6 Likes

Wow I just found a local grocer which really discounts well. Amy Dacyczyn in her Complete Tightwad Gazette Book, which I just recently read, recommends checking every store out just to seeā€¦ Iā€™ve been driving by the store for years and never checked them out beforeā€¦ What a mistake I was making. I was driving by it on way home from Walmart and decided to do a quick stop.

I havenā€™t seen deals like this in ages. Ribeye Roast for $5.50/lb. Pork butt for $1.29/lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast for $1.29/lb. 73/27 Ground Beef for $2.19/lb. They put out an ad each week, and now I have the ad page bookmarked and a calendar event (on my mac/iphone) to remind me to check the ads on the first day they are active ā€“ so I catch the deals before they run out of stock. Enjoying my chest freezer, gonna stock it up today.

I was paying $7.99 for ribeye roast from Winco. $1.58/lb for pork butt from Sams. Over $3/lb for boneless skinless chicken breast, and $2.89/lb for 73/27 ground beef at Aldi.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a sweet bonus, I just found black tea bags at the same store with the meat discounts, which taste every bit as good as Great Value brand for only $1.76 per 100 bags instead of $2.12. This results in us saving an extra $10 per year. Both of these brands of tea bags taste every bit as good as the black tea we bought from the Asian market for $5 per 100 bags. (We are saving $672 per year between the both of us, for switching from coffee/cream to black tea; and we like the black tea better.)

Say ya drink 3 cups of tea per day, this box of tea for $1.76 will give you a monthā€™s worth of caffeine. So cheap :slight_smile: Contrast with $2500 per year at starbucks. Or with Monster energy drinks. 3 cups of this tea per day for a year is around $18 for the entire year.

I also like that they are tagless, no extra step of having to open up the packageā€¦ just drop them in like I used to with PG tips.

6 Likes

Okay I bought a 10lb roll of this beefā€¦ itā€™s really good. Smells good and tastes good. Itā€™s better than the Aldi beef I paid $2.89/lb for. At $2.19 per pound I am going to buy at least 5 more 10 lb rolls of these. Freeze it slightly and slice into 3.5 oz portions/patties with our meat slicer; then wrap in pairs with plastic wrap and freeze.

9 Likes

Youā€™re slaying the grocery game over here!

3 Likes

Itā€™s the only place I grocery shop. No one can beat their prices and the quality is good. I do a big shop monthly and then pick up perishables at a smaller local store in between.

2 Likes

Target has the RedCard $40 sign up bonus promotion running again as of yesterday. I signed up for the debit card and was approved; I will be getting the card and a $40 coupon within 7 to 10 days. Hopefully I get it soon because I have 7 days left to take advantage of a circle week $10 off promotion. So if all goes well Iā€™ll get $50 worth of bacon for free :slight_smile: Around 11.3 packages of bacon for free ā€“ will freeze it.

Someone said you could use the $40 coupon online and then again in the store. So with any luck Iā€™ll also get 7 jars of Smuckerā€™s Natural Peanut Butter made with 100% peanuts, for free as well :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So before the sell ended today, I went back to that store and bought about 17 more pounds of the boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.29 per pound. Too good of a deal to pass up ā€“ normally costing $2.99-3.99/lb.

I have a big chest freezer so I have some room, but itā€™s about full nowā€¦ the chicken will top it off :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here are my 3 freezers. My 7 cubic foot chest freezer, filled up with meat only. And then I have my two fridges, side by sideā€¦ looks like a double wide fridge when closedā€¦ itā€™s nice. In the left freezer is meat and the right I keep berries, veggies, nut flowers etc. (The fridge contents are a little light at the moment, hitting Aldi in a couple days to fill the right fridge with bunch of veggies ā€“ all we eat here is meat & veggies. The left fridge is where we store eggs, cheese, condiments etc.) Iā€™ll share fridge photos later after Iā€™ve cleaned and stocked them up. Top of the fridges are bit of a mess right now, need to organize that.

EDIT: I just noticed on my grocery receipt they only charged me $1.18/lb for the boneless skinless chicken breast. I bought like 35 pounds of it the past few days. Too good of a deal to pass up and it lasts forever in my chest freezer at 0F. (We normally prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs over the breast but couldnā€™t pass up the deal and the breast is just fine ā€“ was delicious in outdoor high BTU stir fry yesterday.)

8 Likes

$5 flashfood - impulse buy for the pineapple
5 peppers
3 avocado
1 eggplant
1 apple
1 mango
1 pineapple
Handfull shishito peppers

12 Likes

I purchased eggs for $2.44 a dozen. I was shocked the store still had them at 330 pm on a Saturday. I got 4 dozen.

10 Likes

What chain (if it was a chain)!

I grabbed 2 flashfood produce boxes ($5 each)
Some discount cheese and gf brownies - total with the produce was 15.77
1 bag pastries etc from too good to go - 6.77 (easily worth $20, realistically replaced 10-15/worth of outing treats)

Dollarama, mostly not groceries - goal was white glue to fix a book total was $52. Need to choose a budget category

Afghan grocery store: milk, eggs, spices, jello, 2 lbs peanuts, 1 each walnuts and raw cashews, 2 packets of saffron $60

We still need kale but too tired for a regular store.

6 Likes

Giant tiger.

2 Likes

I think shoppers has a sat/sunday sale of 2.99/dz if you donā€™t have a giant tiger.

2 Likes

We have a big 25lb (or is it 50lb I forget) bag of dry pinto beans here; we got it back during covid as a precaution in case there were national food shortages, knowing weā€™d use it over several years if there wasnā€™t. I cook a big batch of them and then drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Bag them up into sandwich baggies ā€“ about the same amount per baggy thatā€™s in a can. Itā€™s about 1/3rd the cost of canned beans. (I am thinking about re-using the baggies if undamaged maybe once or twice ā€“ havenā€™t done that yet.)

I make them into flat bricks so I can easily cut off half or a quarter of the beans for the dish I am cooking.

We donā€™t eat a lot of beans here because we eat low carb, so itā€™s nice to be able to break off what we need for a dish. (Sometimes itā€™s a nice touch to add a few beans to a dish, without affecting blood sugar too badly.)

EDIT: I let them soak 24 hours before cooking on the stove top.

Q: do these baggies break down well over time in land fills? There is no chance these would end up in the ocean, since I live like in the middle of the USA, landlocked.

3 Likes

No. If they say compostable then they only break down in certain conditions. If they are the regular baggies they are around forever.

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, I also have to wonder about this. I know states import and export trash (and recycling), but I donā€™t know the specific directions waste goes, or how much gets transported every year.

4 Likes