Grocery Hauls and Pantry Snooping

I think you’ll really like it! I just had a can for lunch today and I was thinking of you, haha…IMO it’s milder than canned tuna which I don’t care for at all…pink salmon is very mellow, of all the salmons

4 Likes

This is very good intel! My last cab was Trader Joe’s, any idea how it compares? Either way, my husband is a sardine eater so it won’t go to waste mind you :sweat_smile: I’m very hit and miss. I love smoked salmon and kipper snacks, but can’t handle most warm fish, etc. Learning process for sure.

3 Likes

I think Two Buck Chuck would make interesting nigiri

6 Likes

I’ve only ever had the Costco stuff but I am also a no-strong flavored fish person and I like it. I can eat hot salmon/salmon filets if there are other flavors covering up the fishy flavor, like lots of lemon or dill or something, but have to really mentally force myself to eat smoked salmon.

1 Like

Haha CAN :joy: thank you. Although there are a couple cabs from TJs I miss :pleading_face: not two buck chuck though haha.

2 Likes

I think stores get out of that by adding “while supplies last”.

1 Like

4 peppers, 5 lemons, a bunch of tomatoes and potatoes, $5 from flashfood

Not sure yet what they will become. Ideas welcome (not butter chicken sauce, we have a lot in the freezer still)

9 Likes

Salsa? That’s my go to any time I see peppers and tomatoes in the same place haha.

1 Like

fresh or cooked? I’ve never done a cooked salsa… It would be rather a lot of fresh salsa to get through.

1 Like

Gasp! Any which way. Pico de gallo fresh, you can do a cooked recipe, can it, freeze it, there’s a million ways to salsa! Do you know what salsas you normally like? Fresh from produce section or canned/in glass that’s shelf stable? Different flavors both delightful.

2 Likes

Easiest and great with Roma is pico de gallo that’s probably where I would start. I haven’t tried this recipe but it’s pretty general anyway, just taste and adjust as you go. Don’t skip the salt or acid. Classic Pico de Gallo Recipe - Cookie and Kate

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever made a recipe from Cookie and Kate that I didn’t like!

1 Like

I’ve never run across her so I’m glad for the recommendation!

1 Like

TIL Egypt produces a lot of strawberries and the season is now! Haven’t really seen berries of any type for sale here before but suddenly there are piles of strawberries at all the produce stands for slightly more than $1 a kilo. Going to buy a bunch later this week to cut up and freeze!

19 Likes

Thanks. I generally just make fresh, I’ve never tried making cooked. We don’t tend to have cooked because I have texture/trust issues with cooked tomato (when first getting into salsa I would buy the jarred salsa and then run it through the immersion blender so that I didn’t risk any large chunks of cooked tomato).

I should probably use some of this in a romesco sauce.

3 Likes

Is anyone else finding that no brand grocery stores are losing their luster quite quickly with inflation? In my area, at least, the price increases % are most severe at Aldi. Cheese, eggs, coffee are all rising quite steeply at Aldi. Sorry I don’t have more hard data to reference, but I’m not making this up. I think I’m going to keep more grocery receipts in a shoebox over the next few months so I stop feeling like I’m deluding myself.

The other day I went into the “expensive” regular grocery store near me and found an 8 oz block of Cabot cheddar (which is delicious, IMO) on sale for $2.50 each 2/$5.

Aldi 8 oz cheese blocks are at $1.99 now for not good cheese. It’s… edible… and it is still less expensive, but my pull to go out of my way for Aldi is lesser now. The soonest stat for my local store I can recall is the 8 oz cheese for $1.89 but that too was quite recent. I don’t have any memories of how much that would’ve been pre pandemic or even in 2021, but I assume it must’ve been much cheaper.

Would be interested if anyone else has had this same feeling, that the big mainstream grocers are holding it down for the consumer’s budgetary benefit much better through recent inflation.

8 Likes

I have noticed Costco has had steeper increases than our Kroger stores. (And not just because large packages make it more obvious, by % it’s been a greater increase). I haven’t been going to Trader Joe’s as much to have an impression there right now.

6 Likes

Up here I see the % difference is bigger, but the budget stores are still overall cheaper

4 Likes

That’s really interesting because we’re in the same area. I agree Aldi has been going up SO MUCH. I haven’t shopped around much at more expensive stores to know if the prices are higher or lower there. Like Elle said, I suspect the increases have been bigger overall at low-cost stores but that the total cost might still be lower. But IDK if that’s true or not. It sounds like a new price comparison exercise might be in order for me!

Also I laughed at your description of Aldi cheese, haha, I agree. It is…edible.

7 Likes

Weirdly, the Aldi shredded Mozzarella is one of my favorite cheeses ever?!? Something about it tastes SO good to me, but that’s probably completely personal and incorrect. As far as the cheddar, I am not a fan.

6 Likes