Grocery Hauls and Pantry Snooping

How do you use the canned salmon?

1 Like

Salmon patties! I use this recipe except I donā€™t add the green onions, I use dried parsley instead of fresh, and I use Tony Chachereeā€™s seasoning instead of the old bay. The girls LOVE THEM and eat so much. I triple the recipe and it feeds us for 1 night. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-salmon-cakes

3 Likes

Ooo Iā€™m excited to try this! I always buy that salmon, but I either dump a can on top of a salad, or make salmon salad to eat with crackersā€¦Iā€™ve never thought of salmon patties!

3 Likes

Thank you! I really want to like salmon but I struggle with stronger flavored fish :grimacing: Iā€™m a tuna/cod/halibut sorta person. Iā€™ll try there!

2 Likes

You can make sushi! Either use as is or add mayo and/or Sriracha, roll with cucumber, avocado, scallions (opt). Also variants like musubi or onigiri.

My mom would do rice or pasta salad with it (fish, mayo, scallions/onions, egg, starch.) Solid comfort food. Iā€™ve also done just fish and pasta for a low effort dinner.

A friend made salmon melts for us once, it was tasty. Itā€™s weird to me to think of salmon as a stronger fish than tunaā€¦Iā€™ve only recently discovered for myself that canned tuna is quite good!

4 Likes

I make salmon chowder. Oh, so good!

1 Like

I canā€™t do tuna melts because warm fish is touch and go for me. I love smoked salmon (although Iā€™m very spoiled- my dad (and last year SirB) go to Alaska yearly and fresh smoke then vacuum seal the salmon right then and deep freeze it).

How would you make musubi with salmon? I love, love spam musubi. Iā€™ll try the sushi- I make lazy hand rolls with tuna salad sometimes if Iā€™m not feeling crackers, and wasabi and soy sauce could help cover the flavor I imagine. But I classically havenā€™t even liked salmon in sushi rolls :grimacing:

5 Likes

:nauseated_face: hot strong fish. That sounds. Not for me.

3 Likes

I think onigiri would be much easier for canned salmon! I think galliver might have meant omusubi as thatā€™s an alternate name for onigiri. But also if you donā€™t like salmon thatā€™s ok! No need to force it.

4 Likes

@Bracken_Joy, @AllHat

Re: salmon musubi, the friend who taught me to make musubi said to think of them as a ā€œrice sandwichā€. The spam ones we were making were ā€œopen facedā€ (nori, spam, seasonings, rice, squish, wrap), but for canned fish (Iā€™ve also done broiled mackerel) I did nori-rice-fish-rice, squish and wrap. Compression, sticky rice, and nori holds it together OK, but not quite as robust as spam musubi. Omusubi or onigiri is also def an option! I just have not tried shaping or packing those. :blush:

Mayo or Sriracha mayo or other sauce would help the fish stick together, too, and cover the flavor if youā€™re learning to like it. I also agree with AllHat that you are not obligated to like it, but Iā€™ve been teaching myself to like (or at least tolerate) beans for dietary and budget reasons with some success so I also get it. As maybe the second most available canned fish and one you can def have while pregnant, itā€™s probably something that would be convenient to like.

6 Likes

Thank you guys!!

2 Likes

Musubi are like a sandwich! Thatā€™s a good way to put it. Omusibi are really easy too! And It think easier for flaky things that donā€™t stay in one chunk easily (unlike spam) since the filling is protected by rice. Shaping them is actually super simple, and so is packaging them! There are really cool ways to fold plastic wrap around them so you can easily eat them on the go. I went to a whole lecture/workshop on them, haha, it was awesome! Musubi is cool because itā€™s such a Hawaii thing and such a great example of exported canned meat making its way into a different culinary tradition, which is a whole area of food history Iā€™m obsessed with. Like, canned meat specifically, haha.

The two styles of musubi that galliver is talking about, for the interested

th-2508972624

th-282511214

8 Likes

Onigiri success! Admittedly itā€™s a small amount of actual fish consumed as compared to rice :sweat_smile: but we did the canned salmon with Mayo and sriracha and topped with a couple crispy fried onion pieces, wrapped it as a ball (didnā€™t do triangles lol, challenge for another day). Added a little nori belt and rolled in some furikake. And then like the white lady I am, I dipped it in wasabi and soy sauce :joy:

Anyway, husband says ā€œthank the people whose idea this was!ā€ Iā€™m excited to try some as fridge grab and go food, too.

13 Likes

Awesome!!! I love it as grab and go food.

2 Likes

Do they require price checks there? In the U S, if they run out before you get there theyā€™re supposed to give you the chance to buy it at the sale price for about a month.

I do not know @NewGig. I havenā€™t heard of what we call ā€œrainchecksā€ for years!

1 Like

Update. Day 2 salmon onigiri was great. Held together really well.

7 Likes

This is the content Iā€™m here for.

3 Likes

Also I got a tower of salmon cans from Costco :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Yasss a new convert :grin:

1 Like