Grocery Hauls and Pantry Snooping

$514 at Costco today. :grimacing:

In fairness,
$100: fish oil and Coq10 and zyrtec
$90: booze stock up (5 wines and local bourbon for Human/entertaining)
$75: Tissues, undies for both, umbrella, and wool socks to gift to non Costco family
Which leaves a more manageable $250 spent on food: dried mango, dried cherries, oat breakfast bars, fig bars, beef sticks, fruit/veg pouches, annual box of stroopwafel, izze (24 can), microwaveable quinoa and rice, chicken apple sausage, crunchy cauliflower snacks, fresh blackberries, prosciutto, canned fancy tomatoes, and sausage ravioli for dinner.

And these! I havenā€™t been sick like all of you but dry air has wreaked havoc on my sinuses, and these broth teabags are amazing. $16 for 4 boxes, so 33c per cup.

PS in my defense this is not a complete picture of how we eat, just what we stock up on at Costco every few monthsā€¦

7 Likes

Correction, I was actually getting sick :sob::sneezing_face::sleeping:

The broth is pretty great though.

6 Likes

Had some good deals today: groceries (got a free giant chocolate bar because the cashier forgot to offer me the Deal of the Week), and then the produce haul was a $5 Flashfood deal. I have never used it before so it was interesting to see what I got. I see apple crisp and soup prep coming up. Anyways I was super excited about the deals. I was able to use price matching too - tide $6.96 CS over $10, Free and clear - .88 vs 1.19, baby carrots .99 vs 1.99.

8 Likes

nice score!

1 Like

Ordered what was labeled and pictured on the grocery delivery app as butternut squash and this showed up instead! Itā€™s massive too. I guess Iā€™ll try to roast it?

5 Likes

I wonder what it is? I hope itā€™s edible. Some of the weird squash crosses arenā€™t apparently. But Iā€™m assuming this is. Otherwise they wouldnā€™t have sent it???

2 Likes

Haha yeah Iā€™m not concerned about edibility, just bemused! The receipt just has it labeled as ā€œpumpkinā€ in Arabic

4 Likes

Like the one here? Might be ā€œjapanese pumpkinā€?
Anne-Marie Bonneau shared a post on Instagram: "This time of year, I cook whole kabocha squashā€”aka Japanese pumpkinā€”and sugar pie pumpkins to make purĆ©e for pies, muffins, quick breads, soup, pasta... I prefer kabocha squash over pumpkin, not that I...

4 Likes

Two comments!

1- You need less food as you age.
2- I think itā€™s great that youā€™ve manged to spend less each year. Go you!

You might also try Steve Solomonā€™s books: Growing When It Counts & Intelligent Gardener.

3 Likes

I was real surprised the other day. There were 3 bottles of Lyleā€™s golden syrup inthe mardowns. Got 3 for about $6!

2 Likes

Reporting back after roasting that this was sadly a disappointing mystery squash. More watery and less flavorful than butternut or kabocha, almost like spaghetti squash? Oh well. Going to try to make soup with it tonight anyway.

5 Likes

Yeah, the local grocer is my preference for now.

Never heard of Steve Solomon. Will check his books out at the library.

2 Likes

He founded Territorial Seeds, then sold it.

2 Likes

I will never, ever do another grocery haul that will top this. It was actually better than this, as I sold the larger turkey, $4.61, to a neighbor. She gave me $5, so I made a .39 profit!!! :crazy_face:

16-20LB BB TURKEY            4.61 S

16-20LB BB TURKEY            4.45 S

Regular Price              41.29

Sale Savings               36.68-

Sale Savings               35.34-

TAX                     0.00

**** BALANCE                 9.06

--------------------------------------

Credit Purchase   11/25/22 10:00

PAYMENT AMOUNT             9.06

--------------------------------------

Visa                    9.06

CHANGE                  0.00

TOTAL NUMBER OF ITEMS SOLD =    2

11/25/22 10:00 

YOUR SAVINGS

Store Savings                  72.02

Total                          72.02

Total Savings Value              89%

Thank you for shopping Shaws!

11 Likes

WOW! Excellent haul. You should frame the reciept! :rofl:

1 Like

We will not be getting fresh green limes here I guess

Weā€™ve seen them as high as 65/kg for organic

6 Likes

I had assumed this was a joke and they had omitted a decimal. But they usually price them per each here. (Or like, 10 for $)

Iā€™m sorry. :pensive: I would share my sub-dollar limes if I could.

2 Likes

Iā€™d certainly use blended limes if that was the $ here! I didnā€™t know blended lemons was a thingā€¦ Hereā€™s a link. I intend to do this the next time I fork out $$$ for organic citrusā€¦

2 Likes

End of the month grocery shopping. Bought ahead for December. I donā€™t trust the grocery stores to keep prices down over the holidays.

Today we spent $134.05CAD for seven bags of groceries, which is really good. There was only one mistake on the receipt, and it wasnā€™t worth going back to correct. A lot of cheese and cheese products today - cream cheese, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, block cheese (gouda, mozzarella, cheddar). No meat. Sunflower seeds and sliced almonds were $17.58 alone!!!

Iā€™m watching my flour go down nervously. Flour is $20 for a $20 lb bag right now. There was some on sale for $11.99 this weekend, but it was all gone by the time we arrived today. Ideally Iā€™d like another 20 lb bag in the house for backup over the holidays.

7 Likes

Resurrecting this thread a bit. Today I did the big Costco haul for the month and the regular grocery store. I was surprised at how cheap Costco was. I was mentally prepared for $300+ but the food items came to $262.01. The grocery today came to $64.46, but I didnā€™t pay for the items on the left (The pickup order gave me things I didnā€™t actually purchase)

8 Likes