Garden Chat

I know I sound like a newb, but I genuinely think they are growing that way, not trimmed.

1 Like

Itā€™s possible! Though they are a tree that is usually rimmed into weird shapes.

2 Likes

Also amazing to think someone is creatively trimming them into fire emojis. How cool!

You are planting purslane? Meanwhile, Iā€™m taking a hoe to it on a daily basisā€¦.

3 Likes

Planting and intend to eat. I am not sure I have any here, and definitely not sure of my ID, so I ordered a few seeds. I donā€™t anticipate ever having to do that againā€¦

Meanwhile, today I finally finished planting out eight pepper plants in 5-gallon buckets. I needed two of each sort at the feed and seed, but a 6-pack of each was cheaper than a single plant. Go figure. So I got eight more plants than Iā€™d intended and scavenged up eight buckets from around the homestead. Bucket plants donā€™t do as well as plants in the ground, but they can go in the greenhouse in the fall. This way, we have both.

By the way, itā€™s really hard to mix sand into soil in a bucket with a shovel. Just in case you need to know. But buckets need to drain well, soā€¦

3 Likes

I have 15 dahlias planted together. Most look great but one has splotchy leaves and another has wilty leaves. Does anyone know what it might be?

I just bought a plant at a store moving sale. Anyone know what i bought?

3 Likes

Looks like a Dracaena! Also called a corn plant.

3 Likes

Yep, a dracaena! GG would know!

1 Like

Iā€™m coming out of retirement and have been employed by a company to grow fruit and vegetables for them to use in their products.

A couple of weeks ago I went out to the site and checked out where the sun was at midday during our Winter Solstice.

Not great.

Today I was out there marking out the garden beds.

Thereā€™s going to be five blocks of ten annual beds, measuring 75cm wide by 10m long per bed, with 30cm paths between each bed. And seperating each block of ten beds is a 2m wide X 10m long bed for perennials.

9 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s quite a bit! Awesome!

2 Likes

Any chance they would do some judicious tree pruning? Thatā€™s a lot of shade!

1 Like

Boy, thatā€™s definitely coming out of retirement! And yes, itā€™s a lot of shade.

1 Like

Unfortunately no, native bush canā€™t be removed.

3 Likes

My sympathies. I have a similar situation. City owned mature trees around me I canā€™t cut.

Middle of summer itā€™s not so much of an issue :wink:

3 Likes

Today, I spent some time renovating my garden. Iā€™m actually rebuilding it from scratch, and itā€™s been quite the project.

5 Likes

That sounds like an exciting project! Are you growing vegetables or ornamentals?

1 Like

My garden so far this yearā€¦

The bare spots in the second bed are failed beet and turnip crops. Iā€™m about to plant a bean crop in there to see how it does. Something is eating the mint and the basil. I suspect earwigs on the basil. Not sure about the mint.

Right now I harvest a lot of herbs, flowers, bunching onions (green onions) and fresh baby greens (kale and lettuce).

Spent this morning in the front yard, dead heading some spent blooms and rotten blooms. Itā€™s been so wet here the peony buds rotted before they bloomed! I hope to get out there this evening to do more work. Itā€™s too hot this afternoon. Itā€™s supposed to cloud over this evening. That will bring the temperature down.

6 Likes

Guys, itā€™s almost the end of August and Iā€™ve only had 2 ripe full-size tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes galore, but my big ones (Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, and Pineapple) are still green.

Is there anything I can do to speed up this process? Tomorrow Iā€™m going to prune a bunch of foliage per internet advice. Send help, I must make salsa.

4 Likes