Garden Chat

How hot is it where you are? Tomatoes, despite being “summer” plants, don’t like it when it’s hot. From google for specific temperatures: When high heat lingers with days above 100°F and nights over 80°F, most tomato ripening stops altogether.

1 Like

Well, today and yesterday it’s been around 100. But before now it wasn’t nearly this hot - mid 80s mostly (I’m in the Chicago area). Our tomato season is short, but this year is extreme. We usually start having ripe tomatoes in early August.

2 Likes

Next week our lows will drop below 55 so that will not be good either! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Also prune the top top of the plant off. Apparently market gardeners do it to “force”" the plant to stop growing and concentrate on ripening the remaining fruit.

4 Likes

I planted too many tomatoes and now I have another popped up from compost and why haven’t I pulled it out?!

Someone talk some sense into me!

Also the same varieties that caught diseases early last year when it was wet and so humid that everything turned to mould look like they will make an early exit again this year despite it being dry AF. Not suited to my garden I suppose.

“I think I’ll harvest this tomorrow”
Will it be there? Will it have a bite missing? Will it be too big?

9 Likes

The everlasting questions of the gardener :grimacing:

We had 2 apples survive to being ripe!

I need to organise some cherry tomato seeds in some dirt, Toddler loooves them so we better try growing them this year.

8 Likes

I need to plant far too many zucchini seeds.

2 Likes

One zucchini seed is too many :joy:

2 Likes

I’m hoping for two plants, that will fill a space currently occupied by tiny Tim tomatoes and snow peas. Both with not much longer left.

2 Likes

Two seems reasonable. Especially if those those smaller types?

Once my sickie tomatoes ripen their fruit I’ll have a few extra spots. Maybe snake beans and… I’m unsure what else :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m in New England, short tomato season-land, and this year has been miserable for tomatoes for me. Almost all summer has been highs in the 70s and overnight lows in the 50s (sometimes lower for both :sob: we had one good week of 80s in like June). We have had none of the heat the rest of the country has had. High temps mostly prevent fruit set because the pollen is damaged, but in my experience 80s is usually fine (variety dependent) until it gets close to 90. I have green tomatoes (I even have bees pollinating! next year I need more bee friendly flowers) but very few ripening still, and thr big problem for me is that the plants are starting to get blight due to the many cool, humid, overcast days. As already said, the best thing you can do is top all the plants, as sad as that feels. It’s a crap shoot because we also can have favorable temps into late October… Or we can get a frost in September. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

This makes sense. I was thinking back to our weather this year and we also had droughts. I watered, but was out of town a bit.

I think I’ll top my big tomatoes and let the cherries keep producing until mid september and top those then.

Also it looks like my pineapple tomatoes are actually starting to turn! They just turn yellow so I didn’t notice before. Hooray!

3 Likes

10 Likes

That is some fine-looking garlic! I didn’t plant garlic this year and I’m sad. I’ve already pre-ordered my bulbs to plant this fall.

3 Likes

Thank you!! Some are the size of my fist.

2 Likes

I am so envious of your harvest.

1 Like

I think there is just no reasoning with tomatoes. Many people in my local gardening group are complaining about their tomatoes. Meanwhile, I’m inundated even though my garden is completely out of hand.

It’s been cool! It’s been very hot! We’ve had a drought! We’ve had torrential rain.

We had a great year for peas and cucumbers and yellow squash and green beans, but radishes and kale and broccoli have been a complete fail.

5 Likes

I planted one package of beets. I have a bunch of little ones but they still have time to grow. Getting ready to make my third batch of borscht, which I love love love!! I freeze it for quick meals. I also had a lot of green beans this year which are going in the soup too. I use the leaves instead of lettuce when I make wraps, as well as the leaves and stalks going into the soup.

8 Likes

Nice garlic. Hope some of the 4800 cloves I have in the ground come out like that.

I did however find this today.

Over 100 plants across seven varieties that had been munched on by deer.

Bloody things trampled all over my new garden beds. Looks like a doe and a fawn.

Strung up an electric fence to keep em out.

5 Likes

Oh no!!!