Garden Chat

I’m sorry to say that looks like the dogwood blight, Dogwood Anthracnose, that has done so much damage to trees in the South over the last few years.

2 Likes

Uh oh. Thank you for the name and the pdf @rural. Now off to research…

1 Like

Baby sage.

Thornless blackberries showing off this year.

I’m too tired to dig through my phone to find the rest of my photos, but almost everything is coming back strong this year. :star_struck: I’m not sure my beautiful Bay tree made it though. :pensive:

11 Likes

Did a quick walk by of the vege garden just before. Had planted out the bed of Leeks and Broccoli this arvo.

Edit: I linked to the Instagram reel, but I think it’s busted and only shows a pic.

May 14, 2023 - 0 likes, 0 comments - Geoff Tewierik (@geoff_tewierik) on Instagram: "Late autumn vege garden walk by.  The majority of the summer crops have been removed and the beds..."

5 Likes

I bought 3 of the same lilacs at the same time last year and one is doing much worse than the others. Does anyone have any tips? Should I trim off the areas with no leaves? Should I fertilize just the little one to try to catch it up to the others? Should I just buy one new one? :rofl:

4 Likes

We took out 7 ferns and I can barely tell.

(3 given to a new friend I’m cultivating and 4 will go out in a free box on a local bench)

7 Likes

FInally planting my raised beds in the atrium. Amaranth, summer squash, marigold as companion plants all direct sowed. Once the sun is over the west side of the house, I’m going to plant out the pepper and tomato starts I’ve been hardening off on the porch, and I have some blackeyed peas soaking in water that I’ll plant out with the squash and amaranth either this evening or in the morning.

Tomorrow I’m going to try to clear the old garden bed in front of the porch for more amaranth, purslane, and probably some companion marigold and peas. That’s going to be a real undertaking, though - that area has been sitting wild since summer of 2020 and I what I have is a rake and a hoe. Not going to ask Husband to drag the tiller across the porch to get to it, though. The tractor can’t get to it because the surprise elderberry forest is in the way.

4 Likes

Could I get some advice? I have these sad dirt strips lining the walkway and driveway.

IMG_2558

I bought a little jasmine plant to plant next to the column that holds the light in the hope that it will grow up and cover the column. And I bought two gardenia bushes to fill in the front strip. But when I went to plant them, I discovered this whole plot is very shallow.

I put the jasmine on the driveway side and planted the gardenias in the plot closer to the house which is not shallow. What can put in the shallow strips? I was after a pretty scent and pretty blossoms and eventual full greenness with the gardenias, but I don’t know what I can put that will be happy in the shallow dirt. Not something that grows up to be a bush, I’m guessing. I’d love more jasmine but as you can see, there’s nothing to support climbing vines here.

*I know very little about gardening and I’m in zone 8b. There’s a sprinkler system in there but I don’t know if it works or not. I guess I should try to figure that out. TIA

4 Likes

Violets, cranesbill geranium, barren strawberry all have shallow roots and will spread. Geraniums will go to about 12 inches, the others are shorter. Are you full sun? I’m less good with full sun recos.

4 Likes

Oh, yeah. That’s the other important info. The front of the yard gets a lot of sun. I’m not sure what’s considered full sun, but it faces southwest so once the sun makes it over the top of the house at noon, it’s getting blasted for the rest of the day. Here in the pacific northwest, the sun doesn’t go down until like 9pm in the summer. In the winter, it’s dark by 5.

3 Likes

The bunnies are eating everything

I have both not raised bed and raised beds. Is there a relatively easy fence I can make around the whole thing? Do I really need to dig it in a foot?

Halp

3 Likes

Chicken wire? Blood meal? We dont have many rabbit visitors.

1 Like

Something ate three of my four pepper starts shortly after I planned them out. They’re been on the porch about fifteen feet away for a couple of weeks, hardening off, but somehow they only became yummy once planted.

Now I guess I’ll buy a couple pepper plants.

1 Like

I use a 900mm (3ft) wide roll of chicken wire held in place with star pickets (t-posts) to keep the rabbits out of the garden. I haven’t had to dig it into the ground to keep them out. It’s work well for the last couple of years. You can just see it on the left of this pic.

4 Likes

Do you like california poppies? In my experience they will grow pretty much everywhere and don"t need a lot of extra support/watering. In our climate they will also self-seed year round. You don’t get quite as much vegetation in the winter, but would probably be enough to keep things covered.

Uprising Seeds has a nice mix that has colors other than the most common orange variety:

Adaptive seeds (an oregon company) also has a variety that has a slightly different color:

4 Likes

I was tired of buying hanging plastic planters that broke every year. When I saw reusable planters I bought some. And then i spent $20 on plants.

If they last two years I think I will be ahead from a financial perspective. And they are already prettier.

5 Likes

I am very excited. I ordered raised beds and they arrive this week. I have tomatoes ready to go into them. I am plotting some kind of modified square foot garden intensive growing plan adapted for circular beds that is almost certainly too complicated to actually keep up with.

This weekend coming we are planning to

• build 5 beds
  • buy the stuff to fill them
  • buy the stuff to net them
  • buy the stuff to make in ground worm towers.
  • buy stuff to install wire mesh on the back side of the timber fence - for climbers.
  • install the wire mesh
  • make the worm towers
  • fill the beds
  • put worm towers in the beds
  • net the beds
  • plant tomatoes
5 Likes

I forgot that blackeyed peas get big in like ten minutes after planting. Yellow crookneck is also taking off. Garnet amaranth is still tiny cute red cotyledons.

Still haven’t bought pepper plants. Should do that today. And pant purslane, which means breaking ground I haven’t planted since 2020.

5 Likes

Garden angels.
I literally just went through the Starbucks drive through to get pictures of these AMAZING silly bushes.
They look like the fire emoji!

I ordered a venti unsweetened iced green tea because I don’t go to Starbucks but remembered that I got this at a Starbucks once.
But more importantly I got the pictures!

Does anyone know what on earth these are? I’m in love! They’re so silly and joyful!

5 Likes

It looks like a juniper of some sort to me. Someone also had some fun with the triming of them!