Garden Chat

I’d just keep an eye on them, and if it seemed like they were getting too leggy then lower the lights closer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Two questions:

1: doesn’t anyone know what this is?

1. If I punt on figuring out where stuff should go and plant my bare root fruit trees in a pot for a year, have I negated all the fast growing benefits of getting bare root trees?

@hollaynia do you?

No clue from me! Google lens says oregano, which I’m thinking…no.

As far as putting bare root plants in a pot, I think that’s totally fine. I’ve done it a couple of times with blueberries . I don’t know where you are geographically @darlingpants but just be aware that plants in containers need to be hardy to about 2 zones colder than your normal zone (so for me in zone 5, they need to be hardy to zone 3 to be in a container) because they lose the ground insulation. And containers generally need more water. But you could always put them in pots now and plant in the ground in the fall.

2 Likes

Since I was tagged into the garden chat :wink: Our serviceberry (amelanchier laevis) is starting to steal the show in the front garden.

5 Likes

My plant app says it’s a lilac but I’m pretty sure it’s wrong

Thank you for the other advice! I think I have almost figured out where to put everything and will manage to avoid pots but it’s good to have a backup.

Turns out I forgot that cherries get really big. Whoops.

1 Like

You can “heel in” bare root trees if you can’t plant right away, so I don’t see why you couldn’t temporarily put in pots for a month or so until you’re ready.

Depending on the root stock, yeah, standard cherries a huge. However, you can keep almost any tree to semi dwarf (or maybe even dwarf) size if you keep up with pruning, regardless and f the rootstock, you’re just fighting the root stock more if it is standard!

2 Likes

Getting started! Immediately realized I don’t own a pitchfork or digging fork.

9 Likes

A Broadfork may also be useful in that situation.

1 Like

Progress was made. Slowly but surely (hopefully)

9 Likes

1 Like

I thought I bought 3 blueberries but turns out I bought 5 :grimacing:

4 Likes

Also turns out there’s a sprinkler system in the back yard, but we can’t turn it in (too rusty) and we only found one head. And my raspberries are going in on top of a tube. Should I just pull the whole thing out? Should I try harder to turn it on? Just leave it?

The weirdest part of home ownership is finding stuff the previous owners clearly knew about and not be able to find anything out about it.

5 Likes

I personally think that most sprinkler systems are not worth it and are way more work. I personally would cut the lines and cap it(might need a plumber to do this). Water only the areas that actually need watering.

1 Like

I’d be removing the line if I could.

Pro tip: don’t wait til it’s raining to install your rain barrel

10 Likes

First year fruit trees I’m supposed to stop from fruiting but at what point? Because the flowers are gorgeous!

3 Likes

If they form a fruit that’d be when I would nip them off. That way you get to enjoy the flowers, and so do the bees :grin:

2 Likes

My happy little rose bush and my new (2nd year) elderberries. I have them twined and staked to infinity because I want them to grow up as much as possible to create a bit of a privacy barrier, as well as delicious elderberries :slight_smile:

I figured I might as well start putting some of my garden stuff here because I think all of my friends and family are tired of me texting them pictures :blush:

10 Likes

Garden friends: why is this dogwood sad? Temps and moisture have been perfect, and everything else around it is plump and green.

3 Likes