Garden Chat

Evil fuckers. Turns out we have them here too.

Chickens love them.

2 Likes

@pancakes @pdm i found your possum

9 Likes

What are snags?

3 Likes

Sausage, but in particular a sausage in a bun/ sausage sizzle

5 Likes

Bread. Damn it OMD how many times do we have to do this dance?

5 Likes

Oh right. I forgot you guys get your hot dog take out at the hardware store! :rofl:

5 Likes

And is some weird parts they have it in a roll not bread because they are decadent boujie fucks.

Also inflation has hit hard with the price going from two fitty to three fitty dollars doos. At least it for a random local community group each week. Sure local men’s shed. Have a few bux to fix broken stuff.

5 Likes

SIGH.

A sausage in a bun/ sausage in a piece of bread/ sausage sizzle/ one of CMOT Dibblers standard fare

4 Likes

The important thing is, you get it at Bunnings! And it’s an act of patriotism because you celebrate voting by eating sausage in some form of bread from the hardware store. But I guess possums are vegetarians so they have to find another way to be patriotic.

6 Likes

Ahem, they’re omnivores. Not afraid to eat insects, birds eggs or baby birds if the opportunity arises. Causing big issues in NZ where they’re an introduced pest.

5 Likes

Good to know, thanks.

Sicilian Charlie perhaps not the best garlic for my microclimate. It does make many cloves though.

4 Likes

Yugo

Russian

Charlie’s

And the remainder. I was wrong, that first one was the Sicilian. Charlies did better.

I think the Russian and Charlie’s did best. Russian had to cope with being on the raccoon drop down from the fence zone. They never changed their behaviour even after we moved the composter two years ago.

6 Likes

My poor garden. It isn’t doing very well…

New raised beds. All that’s doing well are the peas and beans…and a few nasturtiums.

7 Likes

What are you trying to grow? Don’t be too hard on yourself, it sounds like you’ve got a few winners at least!!

1 Like

That looks pretty good to me! We got a single pea pod because snails eat anything that sprouts.

2 Likes

If it’s mostly legumes doing well, which is what it sounds like, probably the soul needed a little bit more nitrogen. Happily, legumes set nitrogen in the soil, so you should have better luck next year. Also, I agree with everyone else and it looks pretty good!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I am trying to grow a lot of different things. It’s square foot gardening and companion planting combined. So there’s 3 types of radish, lettuce mix, 3 types of kale, 3 types of spinach, turnip, onions, shallots, leeks, marigolds, nasturtiums, turnips, 2 types of carrots, and I think that’s it.

ETA: there’s also chives in those two beds. I have a separate older bed doing just fine with tomatoes, rosemary, Swiss chard, carrots and 2 kinds of beets in it. Also another older one with leeks, lettuce, radish, and kale (being eaten by something).

2 Likes

Any recommendations/advice for late fruit tree planting in zone 9b? Should I just wait until spring? Looking at avo, lemon/lime, fig, banana. The more compact the better for my long term yard plans.

1 Like

I believe you can plant in fall, you just want to make sure you coddle them through their first winter if you get freezes though I’m not sure if that’s a thing in your area. If it is, I found that foam pipe insulation from the hardware store is great for protective baby trunks and then an old sheet over the canopy does the trick nicely. Right now is probably too hot, they’d get heat stressed. If you’re able to find a nursery in your area they might be able to steer you to compact varieties and let you know when those would be in stock and when would be a good time to plant.