Garden Chat

All of that, and flat is for washing out the kiddie pool.

1 Like

It used to always be shower, but lately I’ve been super exciting and using center.

1 Like

THE Kanye west?!?! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I didn’t even see that part :laughing:

1 Like

Idk why I can’t grow rhubarb. In the past I thought it was watering, but we kept on top of it.

4 Likes

It’s a hungry plant, so maybe not enough nutrients/nitrogen?

1 Like

Garden is having mixed results here. Hubby has decided to take care of it and is watering the wrong way and time of day. Consequently my spinach leaves have holes burned in them from the sun. I hate to discourage Hubby, so I’m saying nothing until he comments.

Otherwise, the old garden and deck garden are doing fine. The new raised beds don’t have enough compost in them.

Our new tumbling composter isn’t making compost fast enough. I’m not sure what gives there, because, once again, the entire process was taken over by Hubby once we got it on site. There are a ton of fruit flies around it, but it’s not decomposing very fast. Hubby is adding dried leaves from last fall. I’m guessing there’s too many of them? Or maybe he’s not keeping it wet enough? Or too wet? Whatever…

I am getting lettuce, Swiss chard, beet greens and radish though. We’ve enjoyed some in salad and some lettuce on salmon burgers. I notice there’s more lettuce to pick today.

Here’s what it looks like as of yesterday…

4 Likes

I only have @compostable.kate and her knowledge of compost tumblers that might assist you with your issues.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-_zeXBxTQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

2 Likes

I planted some watermelon seedlings in our landscaping just to see what would happen.

This is one set. (Spoiler: they’re gone.)

Then there’s this one trellising itself on some non edible ginger:

And hiding inside

12 Likes

Harvested this year’s first crop of peas, more lettuce, beet greens and herbs of various kinds. Froze the herbs. Ate the peas for supper, and made a big salad for the next two days.

1 Like

Home harvest for family vegetarian visitors.

Made for a great feast.

11 Likes

Delicious :drooling_face:

I think I made this bed about two years ago? The grass was getting out of hand so I basically completely took it apart and rebuilt it. Hopefully the arrangement of bricks on the bottom layer will help keep the grass out for longer this time.

Discovered a nest of snake eggs. Took a break to have Mr. Meer reassure me that mama snakes don’t stick around after they lay a clutch (never mind that I was 2/3 through the bed and would have seen mama by then).

This was originally an herb/strawberry bed with I think 4-5 strawberry plants. It now has fifteen, and it had even more before a recent heat wave (I didn’t water them during the heat wave, whoops). In the future we have another area we might repurpose to a strawberry bed if they continue spreading like this. Oh and at the bottom of the picture is rosemary and a tiny baby basil plant and a parsley that I’m honestly shocked is still alive since they don’t like the summers here.

Supervisor

11 Likes

We took the garden netting off the vegetable garden today. We’ll see how the garden fares. We have deer, rabbits, raccoons and rats here. They all like garden produce.

Our tomatoes have blight. Hubby is going to mulch up some old dead leaves from last year to mulch them with. I debating buying a fungicide. I really want a natural one, but I seriously need one that works right away.

Other than that, I’m seeing whiteflies on the tomatoes too. And some little black bugs on my bean leaves. I treated everything to a round of Safer’s insecticidal soap.

I moved the chives out into the sun, where they have room to grow and breathe. They were struggling under the shade of a tomato plant.

We weeded and picked what was edible. I thinned the Korean radish seedlings a friend gave me. We dug in compost too.

I checked the compost in the tumbler bin. It’s no wonder it hadn’t decomposed! There were way too many dead leaves in there, and not enough moisture. Plus hubby did not mulch up the oak and maple leaves before adding them. The balance is way off. I made a few suggestions and let him work with it for a bit.

I fertilized everything, and Hubby helped me water down below the leaves. It’s supposed to reach around 30 C today and I didn’t want the sun burning holes in the wet leaves of my greens.

1 Like

Great work! Satisfying before and after.

2 Likes

Woah!! :flushed:

2 Likes

I know nothing about growing things that do not provide food, and it shows. Everyone around here has beautiful salvia and mine look like shit. The big one is literally half dead. I am tempted to toss them and start over with something else but salvia are so pretty!

My butterfly bush looks….ok, I guess? But the flowers only half open and then shrivel up, I deadhead them, flowers start but half open, lather rinse repeat.

The torenia is doing great and blooming lots, I suspect because it needs absolutely nothing other than water.

I want flowers on my porch, dammit. In some sort of cohesive arrangement instead of ugly black plastic pots randomly stuck everywhere.

3 Likes

I planted 3 kinds of winter squash plus zucchini plus pumpkins plus cukes. I did put labeled sticks in when I planted them out, but they’ve disappeared under the vines, plus I stuck some leftover plants In randomly. The zucchini and cukes are easy to identify, but the delicata, butternut and spaghetti squash -who knows??

There are about a million little squash out there, though, it’s kind of frightening.

4 Likes

My tomatoes are growing so incredibly vigorously that I’m afraid they’re gonna completely shade out the little pepper plants, even though I planted them south of the tomatoes on purpose to keep that from happening. My garden has first world problems.

9 Likes

Hornworms. :imp: :worm: :angry:

3 Likes