Garden Chat

lol I was JUST coming back here to delete my post because this is definitely pokeweed, lol

6 Likes

Also pokeweed is native, but itā€™s pretty common and aggressive and not generally a ā€œfeatureā€ so I would have no issues mowing it down.

3 Likes

And thank you! I looooove my violets. I have bluebells and chickweed and all kinds of stuff in my no mow zones. Iā€™m bad at IDā€™ing plants, but I do know some of the things I have :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It threw me off because it is wayyyy too soon for pokeweed that big up here, but then I remembered that not everyone lives in the frozen north haha!

Fairly warm south east here :wave:

Just for fun here are my black tulips as of today (bad pics I have an old phone)

11 Likes

I left a pokeweed in my front garden because ā€œitā€™s nativeā€ and the next year I had to pull 200 pokeweed sprouts.

I think I complained about it earlier in this thread

5 Likes

My only issue with mowing it down is Iā€™d rather dig that shit up at the roots. At least itā€™s not as difficult to eradicate as my other hated native, Virginia Creeper.

6 Likes

These are very good points! Pull rather than mow. (I love Virginia Creeper though :face_with_peeking_eye:)
Those tulips are lovely!

2 Likes

cut back the rose and my arms look like Iā€™ve been playing with a kitten

new neighbour introduced herself and made a comment about the lack of plants in their front. I said when they were ready Iā€™d be happy to donate geraniums. After she went back inside I looked at my geraniums, and ripped out about 10 for her. She was a bit taken aback, but hopefully not too weirded out. There are more where that came from.

8 Likes

Generosity can be surprising these days! Especially without expectation of payback.

6 Likes

Pulled a Manchester Table carrot at work today, its just on two months old.

Would work well as a baby carrot Inna restaurant situation.

6 Likes

trying to figure out my poor witchhazel, which has been the unfortunate recipient of some very bad pruning jobs over the 15 years Iā€™ve lived here. Much maybe isnā€™t salvageable, I just have messed it up too badly. On the plus side, it likes where it is, so itā€™s putting up new shoots. I suppose I should prune some of them out.

All this to say, weā€™ve taken out a large horizontal branch this morning, and Iā€™m thinking about taking down more. I feel a lot of guilt for failing this poor plant.

2 Likes

Rhubarb trying once again

This is why we donā€™t plant until mid may

5 Likes

Meanwhile weā€™re turning into dust :hot_face:

1 Like

Preparing to move raised beds. Moved some of the soil into the deck garden pots. More is on a tarp in the driveway. First bed half empty. We are both getting old and out-of-shape for this. Taking it easy so no-one gets hurt.

Hubby planted radish seeds on the deck. I started some more ā€œEarly JalapeƱo Peppersā€ indoors. Along with parsley, basil, calendula, cosmos, and marigolds.

Thatā€™s enough gardening for one day.

4 Likes

F***ing creeping speedwell. I do not know how this got into my beds but it is
was everywhere. I am so tired and sore, but there is a lot less of it out there now.

6 Likes

hahahahaa so THATā€™s what the plant taking over our lawn is!

Nooooo! My lawn has so much crap in it too, but when the weeds start invading my beds or paver cracks, I get angry and take action. I am working on the terrible creeping charlie and mock strawberries tomorrow but today I took a day off for the sake of my upper arms.

1 Like

Itā€™s honestly fine. I donā€™t own this place, the landlord canā€™t even be bothered to mow most of the time, and the bees seem to like it!

2 Likes

Hubby finished emptying the soil from the first raised bed. I helped him move it to its new location. I checked orientation of the bed using the cell phone compass feature. We both worked to put cardboard in the bottom of the bed.

Next up is to shovel soil back into it. Hubby is gone all day today. Iā€™m not sure I have the strength to do it. I may just work on transplanting herbs that survived the winter from cloth bags to plastic pots on the deck.

1 Like