Garden Chat

Will random spring annuals that I can get cheaply at big box hardware store last 2+ weeks until my parents arrive, and beyond? I normally would go to one of the local nurseries, but their stuff is so much more expensive, and these are to be a quick fix, so I don’t want to spend tons on stuff I am not sure I will even want past May. (I know, I know, but it is what it is.)

Also, what would be good? I have 3 big planters I want to put something in. My mother is judge-y. I didn’t plan ahead to start seeds. I know places are selling pansies now in these parts (southern New England) but not sure what else. I don’t want to spend an exorbitant amount, but I don’t need to nickel and dime myself.

I am knowledgeable about vegetables, but trash when it comes to bedding plants and flowers, so please help me! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

they should if you cover them with sheets if there is frost

1 Like

Do you mean is the quality of box store plants good enough to live for a few weeks? My answer is yes, I’ve bought from box stores and “better” nurseries and not seen too much difference. I spend more at nurseries in order to get more special items that box stores don’t have.

If it’s just annuals, I would just get whatever you think is pretty. I personally like Coleus, I’m not sure it gets flowers but the leaves are colorful.

2 Likes

I like sweet alyssum for ground cover/to fill holes, ours always gets HUGE by the end of the summer.

1 Like

They for sure will be fine. If you are wanting it to look nice when your parents are there I would look for things that already have flowers and what you think looks pretty.

1 Like

Has anyone grown giant pumpkin? I was at target and needed some pumpkin seeds because apparently last year I planted all the seeds I had. I bought a pumpkin seed that has pretty coloring on the front and did not read the package at all. Opened the package and it only had 3 seeds and they were big! I was like what the heck and then actually read the package. They are a variety that apparently can get up to 100 pounds.

Anyone have advice to grow them as big as possible to semi prank my husband? He does not know that I planted giant pumpkin.

13 Likes

No advice. I just love you.

5 Likes

This is delightful.

5 Likes

We used to grow them in one of the places I lived when I was a kid (maybe 8-10 yo…definitely have pictures of sibling and myself standing on top of the same giant pumpkin) and the only thing I remember doing was hauling water in the morning before school every day.

And also that we had a wheelbarrow on hand for moving them.

3 Likes

Yeah I was thinking water but then that’s information I have from watermelons - if they don’t get enough water they crack.

2 Likes

One of the things I know is that you’re supposed to choose one pumpkin from the vine, and pinch off all the others so that the plant puts all its energy into one spot. (this would just mean I’d lose it to squirrels, so I guess also invest in some kind of anti squirrel measures?)

3 Likes

We have a wheelbarrow so that’s good and it’s planted close to the water spigot!

This is decently close to the house so hopefully the critters leaves it alone. Definitely will have to keep an eye on it!

Well, the main thing that concerns me about big box store plants is that they are often treated with neonicotinoids, which are toxic to pollinators, and it isn’t always obvious if/when they are. So I am wary, and if I wasn’t sure, I would probably remove them after my parents leave.

(@gardeningandgreen yeah, I want them to look nice when they are here, so as not to get so many “comments” from the peanut gallery. Good point about getting things already flowering.)

Thanks everyone! I might brave the crowds and go tomorrow. to see what I can find :grimacing:

I do like coleus (I still have a bunch of fancy seed I should start! I wonder if they are still viable), they would have to be in mostly shade here though, and the spots I need them for are probably too sunny I think!

2 Likes

The select one fruit and remove all ther other fruits bit has already been mentioned. So I’ll add this.

Pumpkins can root from leaf nodes all along their stem. So getting water to those spots is as helpful as watering the base of the plant. Also they’re hungry for nutrients. So a regular drench of seaweed solution and additional compost will make for a BIG pumpkin.

I know of one grower on the gram who does the big Pumpkin thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqsa9hGv8C7/?igsh=MWNzNHdqYnc3MDY2bQ==

5 Likes

Please post progress pictures of your giant pumpkin!

1 Like

Ohh that’s good advice! I’ll make sure to give them som extra doses of fertilizer!

2 Likes

garden center had English Ivy labeled as an annual

I wish

1 Like

Made my friend’s garden bed look purty. I didn’t take a before but her neighbours is identical for a starting reference. I’m very proud of myself.

I’m excited to see it when it grows up and in with the colours.

8 Likes

I need this cup

10 Likes